Patent: Integrated Lens for an APS-C Compact Camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/patent-integrated-lens-for-an-aps-c-compact-camera/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/12/patent-integrated-lens-for-an-aps-c-compact-camera/">Tweet</a></div>
<strong>Camera Lens 18-70 f/2.8-6

</strong>A patent has shown up for a lens that is an 18-70 f/2.8-6. It looks like the lens could possibly be for a fixed lens APS-C camera. The <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838600-REG/Canon_G1X_PowerShot_G1_X_Digital.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">PowerShot G1X</a>, while a cool enough camera, didn’t catch on. Canon may not be done exploring a large sensor fixed lens camera.</p>
<p>Personally, I’d be more into a <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/891105-REG/Sony_dscrx1_DSC_RX1_Full_Frame_Point.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Sony RX1</a> style camera for a few dollars less.</p>
<p>As a side note, the G1X was announced last year for CES, and that’s coming up in January.</p>
<p><a href="http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2012-12-26" target="_blank"><strong>Read the full patent</strong></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
traveller said:
I don't get this: "the G1X concept didn't catch on, so we'll built more of the same"?

Strange thinking. If anything, the G1X failed to catch on because it was:

a) too big
b) too expensive for what it was
c) too limited in its capabilities

How would an APS-C version improve upon any of those issues?

You forgot to mention that incredible viewfinder!
...and the new patent for an f/2.8-6? F/6.0? Really? WOW!

I agree with everything you wrote above...especially the comment about the RX1.
For me the market has split in two...FF and quality compact full-system camera. (I chose MFT...you could purchase an incredible MFT intrchangeable-lens camera with kit zoom lens and money left over to buy another lens for the $800 Canon introduced the G1X at. I wonder why it didn't sell?)

Upvote 0

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
infared said:
(I chose MFT...you could purchase an incredible MFT intrchangeable-lens camera with kit zoom lens and money left over to buy another lens for the $800 Canon introduced the G1X at. I wonder why it didn't sell?)

Exactly, MFT has a better offer for the same or lower price, even though the sensor es a bit smaller, if you're in the market for a "compact" camera with SLR-like features, you know there will be compromise. Their cameras are a lot smaller and some are even pocketable.

18-70 f2.8-6? Trends are going into fast lenses on compacts now (thank god), and you give us f6? No way José.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Nick Gombinsky said:
infared said:
(I chose MFT...you could purchase an incredible MFT intrchangeable-lens camera with kit zoom lens and money left over to buy another lens for the $800 Canon introduced the G1X at. I wonder why it didn't sell?)

Exactly, MFT has a better offer for the same or lower price, even though the sensor es a bit smaller, if you're in the market for a "compact" camera with SLR-like features, you know there will be compromise. Their cameras are a lot smaller and some are even pocketable.

18-70 f2.8-6? Trends are going into fast lenses on compacts now (thank god), and you give us f6? No way José.
I think the sensors of the G1X and MFT are VERY close in size...and the new Sony sensor that is in the Olympus OMD and EPL-5 is excellent for noise and dynamic range. The Oly cameras all have IBIS which really ads another dimension. It's as if Canon lives in its own little world putting a newer sensor in a totally antquated body style. And then the price tag attached to a camera of thAt genre made it doomed from the ...
This new patent is kind of odd.

Upvote 0
Compact cameras are dying. But all camera companies, not just Canon, don't seem to beleive it. Sales, for everyone, have taken hugh hits in the last year. But everyone keeps anouncing more compact cameras that don't/won't sell. Meh!!

Large companies tend to live in the past, i.e. we always sold a lot of P&S cameras and we always will. Thinking like that is what almost destroyed Kodak. Thinking like this is also the reason for the lackluster EOS M -- people really want P&S cameras or DSLRs, mirroeless is just a passing fad. Meh!!

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
given that Sony is selling the RX1 for about $2800, if Canon put a similar fixed 35 f/2 lens on an APS-C sized sensor, it would definitely be way cheaper, right? like, $1800, or maybe less?

frankly, I wouldn't mind a G1X type body with a G1X-sized sensor (even with its slighly excessive bulk, but a diet would also be appreciated) if they gave up a fast, wide, [zoom] lens instead of an elephantine zoom. how about a 24mm - 35mm f/1.8? or a 21mm - 40mm f/2.8?

Canon is trying so hard to make these one-off cameras be a jack-of-all-trades but really, instead of giving us a swiss army knife, we end up instead with a blunt butter knife. the G1X does everything, sort of, and nothing very well at all. a little more clarity of design vision would go a long way into convincing consumers that there is, in a fact, a reason to own one of these.

Upvote 0
Amazon is selling the G1X at $629 and the RX100 at $648

Anyway, I took quite a few thousand photos with the G1X and loved all the images I got from it. My main camera is the 5D2 and I have a few Canon glass. It does not make sense for me to invest in another mirorrless lens system for my leisure camera.

The G1X is a great one lens solution for me. I do hope Canon would address the macro distance and short battery life issues in the next version though.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.