Patent: Multiple small RF prime lens optical formulas

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon News has uncovered a patent that shows Canon is working on small RF prime lenses, like non-L.
Japan patent 2019-152683 does include the RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM Macro in one of the embodiments, but keep in mind that lens design can sometimes build off of existing lenses.
RF prime lens optical formulas in this patent:

Canon RF 20mm f/2 (Lens length of 70mm)
Canon RF 35mm f/2.8 (Lens length of 40mm)
Canon RF 45mm f/2.8 (Lens length of 43mm)
Canon RF 35mm f/2 (Lens length of 30mm)

Beyond the prime lenses, there is also a wide-angle f/4 zoom included.

Canon RF 16-35mm f/4 (Lens length 90mm – 97mm)

Looking at all the embodiments, I think only the RF 16-35mm f/4 could realistically be coming.

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
May 11, 2017
Reactions to the EF 24 f2.8, 28 F2.8 and 35 f2.0 have been mixed since they came out in 2012, and I don't think Canon has ever sold that many of them. Some people are content to make do with a zoom, which isn't that hard to do, the 16-35 f4 being what it is. Other people want moderately priced,smallish, high quality primes. Canon may have decided that the way to make a little money selling moderately priced, smallish, high quality primes is to spend a larger amount of money developing and building them.

Upvote 0
These look like affordable RF lenses.

Canon if you are reading this, where's the f/4 trinity?
in development probably. they can only produce so many new lenses per year.

With Nikon having the F4's already done, you can bet Canon won't be too far behind.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Reactions to the EF 24 f2.8, 28 F2.8 and 35 f2.0 have been mixed since they came out in 2012, and I don't think Canon has ever sold that many of them. Some people are content to make do with a zoom, which isn't that hard to do, the 16-35 f4 being what it is. Other people want moderately priced,smallish, high quality primes. Canon may have decided that the way to make a little money selling moderately priced, smallish, high quality primes is to spend a larger amount of money developing and building them.

I'd have thought that the 35mm f2 IS is a pretty liked and fairly reasonably priced lens. The 24mm f2.8 IS and 28mm f2.8 IS are more difficult to justify.

Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
Canon didn't discontinue the EF 20mm f/2.8, and other manufacturers have made new ones in recent years (Nikon AF-S 20mm f/1.8G ED, Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art).

I would be surprised if Canon did not release a 20mm lens in the RF mount.
Sadly I just sold my EF20 2.8 -- what great lens! I found it big with the adapter and I usually shoot it manually.
Now I shoot a Voigtlander 21/4 Skopar until I find a good Leica 21mm that is not over-priced.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
I like the EF 35 IS too. I use it for about 60% of my pictures...
The RF 35 1.8 STM is variable in length because of macro. I dislike this very much, and this is the main reason for switching NOT to RF. One lens I would use native (the 35 of course!) and the rest I can adapt easily. But I don't ever buy this current 35 STM.
My hopes for a similar 35 IS was not very high. They probably bring a L with 1.4 or 1.2, which is 800gr and 1500€ or more... (see the current 85). They might be superb, but I like the handy smaller ones.
So maybe they really announce some more smaller effective prime lenses... I can't understand the differences in length on different f-stops (maybe the numbers are switched?), because a f/2.8 should be tinyer than a f/2 ?!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Reaction was mixed in part because Canon introduced the trio of lenses at a substantial price premium over their non-IS predecessors. After about two years they announced substantial price cuts on all three, bringing them much more into line with their actual value.

I agree that most people prefer zooms and with the optical quality of modern zooms you aren't really giving up much, if you don't need a fast lens. These primes may not be big sellers, but they are a nice, reliable stable product the rarely needs updating. I would agree that Canon may view them as a small, but reliable source of income and I suspect that if they mirror the EF versions they probably won't require much additional investment by Canon.

Upvote 0