Photographs in the "Blue Hour"

Here are two blue hour photos I took in Rome in 2011. Castel Sant'Angelo (Canon 60D w/ EF-S 17-55 lens; ISO 400; f/8; & 1.6 sec); and Trevi Fountain (same camera/lens; ISO 400; f/3.5; 1/13 sec). The Castel Sant'Angelo shot benefited from the railing of a bridge as a makeshift tripod; the Trevi Fountain shot was handheld.

Attachments

• IMG_9058-1 rs_CastelSant'Angelo.jpg
    IMG_9058-1 rs_CastelSant'Angelo.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 1,875
  • IMG_9925-1 copy_TreviFountain.jpg
    IMG_9925-1 copy_TreviFountain.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,837
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
North Sea
9Z5A1350.jpg

Upvote 0
John Strung said:
Here are some from the Hamilton/Burlington area in Ontario, Canada. These are all HDR.

I do not normally like HDR so much but some of those shots are very nice. Well done.

rcarca - I know Marlow well, and I hope you do not mind me saying but I think your shots are too blue. Great place for pics though. When I am in the UK I go a lot for coffee.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
drob said:
I was rushing up to this mountain peak to grab sunset on Mount Rainier. Turns out I was about 15 minutes late after finding a decent comp. Here's my blue hour Mount Rainier.

Still a good shot; like it. Try reducing the size to 740 pixels across before attaching the next one so we can see the whole picture without having to slide it about.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
yorgasor said:
Logan said:
These pictures make me wish I lived closer to the city, all the lights are such an interesting subject.

yorgasor, I think the Y you are talking about would be called a 'Col', just for interests sake.

I dont have many good blue hour shots, but I thought this one of the old paper mill was neat.

Logan: No, I actually meant the 'Y' :)

Y%20200-10-123.jpg

Ahahhahahaha that is too funny, not the answer I ever would have expected.

Upvote 0

rcarca

Amateur, Enthusiast, Canonphile
Apr 11, 2012
UK
raphoto.me
expatinasia said:
John Strung said:
Here are some from the Hamilton/Burlington area in Ontario, Canada. These are all HDR.

I do not normally like HDR so much but some of those shots are very nice. Well done.

rcarca - I know Marlow well, and I hope you do not mind me saying but I think your shots are too blue. Great place for pics though. When I am in the UK I go a lot for coffee.

Curious to know why you think they are too blue? I desaturated the photographs... The colour depends on the time, the weather and other conditions. Anyway, thanks for looking.

Richard

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
yorgasor said:
Can it really be called "Blue Hour" though? In my experience, it only lasts a couple minutes tops.

Where do you live? How long twilight lasts depends on latitude, its very short in the tropics, and in the arctic at the right time lasts for hours. It was important for navigation, because during this time you can take star sightings and still see the horizon. Which i guess is one of the best reasons to take pictures at this time too!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight

Upvote 0