Photoshop brush / Wacom tablet problem

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
I am using Photoshop 2019 CC, Wacom Intuos Pro M and Windows 10 (Windows 10 updates are run whenever offered). I have taken a Google road map and loaded it into Photoshop. I am using the brush tool to draw lines on the roads tracing my trip route. When I use the mouse I have no problem drawing lines anywhere on the map. When I use the Wacom pen I have no problem drawing lines anywhere except where I try to start on a road line. When I start on a road line, a circle appears around the pressure point and a brush tool menu opens and I can't draw a line. If I double tap on the line, then the menu doesn't open and I can draw on the road line. This is driving me nuts. Does anyone know what causes this problem?

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I am using Photoshop 2019 CC, Wacom Intuos Pro M and Windows 10 (Windows 10 updates are run whenever offered). I have taken a Google road map and loaded it into Photoshop. I am using the brush tool to draw lines on the roads tracing my trip route. When I use the mouse I have no problem drawing lines anywhere on the map. When I use the Wacom pen I have no problem drawing lines anywhere except where I try to start on a road line. When I start on a road line, a circle appears around the pressure point and a brush tool menu opens and I can't draw a line. If I double tap on the line, then the menu doesn't open and I can draw on the road line. This is driving me nuts. Does anyone know what causes this problem?
Have you tried drawing/painting on a new layer above the map? (Then merging the layers when you are done?)

How are you loading the map into PS? What file format is it?

Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Thanks YuengLinger. The map was loaded into Photoshop by pasting a screen print into a new document (PSD).

I tried your idea of a new layer, but it didn't make any diffenence. However, with further trials I've discovered that if I move the pen immediately upon it touching the tablet, then it works fine. If I delay slightly (which I was doing when trying to get the point exactly on the road), it brings up the menu. I just have to start to move the pen faster once it hits the tablet.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

Maybe this will help:
Create a PSUserConfig.txt file in the Photoshop CC Settings Folder:
c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 20xx\Adobe Photoshop CC 20xx Settings\

Write the following content to that config file:
#Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

I also had problems with using my stylus pen in Photoshop and found this solution which worked perfect for me.

regards
Frank

Upvote 0

DanP

CR Pro
Dec 8, 2014
Maybe this will help:
Create a PSUserConfig.txt file in the Photoshop CC Settings Folder:
c:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 20xx\Adobe Photoshop CC 20xx Settings\

Write the following content to that config file:
#Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0

I also had problems with using my stylus pen in Photoshop and found this solution which worked perfect for me.

regards
Frank
Frank - thanks for your suggestion. My "c:" tree doesn't appear to be structured like yours, but I'm not computer literate enough to try what you suggest anyway. As I don't have the problem as long as I start to draw immediately, or double tap to start, I think I'm OK leaving things as they are.

Upvote 0