Photoshop/CameraRaw weirdness with R3.

OK so shooting with my Canon R3 at a football game, I took some photos as RAW+JPG. I normally just shoot sports as JPG, but I had blinding direct sun and wanted extra latitude. The results are bizarre. They are most appearant with my fisheye lens so I will use that for an example.

Viewing one photo in Adobe Bridge. (Same Photo, just one is the recorded RAW, and one is the recorded JPG.Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 6.43.18 PM.png

Then opening each file in Camera Raw:
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 6.50.55 PM.jpg

Then opening in Photoshop wit NO ADJUSTMENTS, the RAW file is 2 stops brighter.
Screenshot 2022-11-14 at 6.51.36 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
OK so shooting with my Canon R3 at a football game, I took some photos as RAW+JPG. I normally just shoot sports as JPG, but I had blinding direct sun and wanted extra latitude. The results are bizarre. They are most appearant with my fisheye lens so I will use that for an example.

Viewing one photo in Adobe Bridge. (Same Photo, just one is the recorded RAW, and one is the recorded JPG.View attachment 206349

Then opening each file in Camera Raw:
View attachment 206350

Then opening in Photoshop wit NO ADJUSTMENTS, the RAW file is 2 stops brighter.
View attachment 206351
OK, but according to your screenshot you're working in 32-bit in Photoshop.
You could adjust the brightness as much as you'd want in that mode. Was it on purpose or is this how you usually work?

Upvote 0
OK, but according to your screenshot you're working in 32-bit in Photoshop.
You could adjust the brightness as much as you'd want in that mode. Was it on purpose or is this how you usually work?
Thanks. Yes, this is how I normally work.
I understand I could change the brightness, but I did not. I just can't figure out why the software changed it for me without my wanting it to. And only in RAW, no change with the same actions on a jpg.

Upvote 0