Post your best Football shot (American Style)

Taken with the Canon Rebel XSi! First time shooting college football(this was from the stands) and here's one fave. Just started shadowing for my school's paper and looking for tips!
52054385757578163243299.jpg

Upvote 0
A few shots from the last couple weeks (not sure if they are my best, but they are my most recent good ones).

All shot with 5D mkiii, and either the 14mm 2.8LII or the 70-200 2.8 L I with the 2x mkIII on.

Let me know what you think and any critiques you might have...

Sunset on a season by @!ex, on Flickr

Still Running by @!ex, on Flickr

Got the flyby in this one (check the upper left).

Fly By by @!ex, on Flickr

Dropping the Ball... by @!ex, on Flickr

Upvote 0
moonwell said:
Here's a few favorites...

Lots of nice angles and captures, but I'm going to be brutally honest here (and I'm not an hdr hater, in fact I am one of it's biggest supporters) but the tonemapping/microcontrast/psudo-HDR look (I'm guessing processed using Topaz Adjust), is so over the top that it is killing these cool images for me. It's like you pushed it to 11, and not in a good way.

Upvote 0
@!ex said:
moonwell said:

Lots of nice angles and captures, but I'm going to be brutally honest here (and I'm not an hdr hater, in fact I am one of it's biggest supporters) but the tonemapping/microcontrast/psudo-HDR look (I'm guessing processed using Topaz Adjust), is so over the top that it is killing these cool images for me. It's like you pushed it to 11, and not in a good way.

+1

The images are amazing... but the HDR is over the top

Upvote 0
@!ex said:
moonwell said:

The problem, as I've noticed anyway, with HDRing single shot exposures (which I assume these are) where there is a relatively narrow DoF, you wind up processing the bokeh too much. These are pretty nice shots by themselves, but the bokeh just looks... weird.

In these sorts of situations, if I _really_ want to go HDR, I'll do two different tonemapped files. One for the background and one for the subject. Then I'll combine the images in PS and layer masks. I've had better luck here than trying to process the blurred out background in the same manner as the subject.

Just my $0.02.

I do like the second to last shot though. Great angle and the look on the Charger's face is awesome!

Upvote 0
Here's another couple fave shots from my first college game. Taken with the Rebel XSi from the stands. Hence that sad dark blur. Always open for tips!
32262938575742816325817.jpg

47645938575762482990562.jpg

@!ex I love the vividness of the colors of your photos! Got any post processing tips to share? =D

moonwell: really love the action in your photos but to my eyes, the colors are a tad too bright and oversaturated.

Upvote 0