Post Your Panning Shots!

D

daty2k1

Guy in the streets of Lyon, France

IMG_2288.jpg

Upvote 0
ChrisAnderson said:
Here's one i've taken since getting my MkIII.... do you all find that having an IS lens helps? This was with the 50 f/1.4 i believe. I definitely need some practice to reduce the blur on the subject.

Yes, I have found IS helps. Unfortunately I've yet to get a shot I like with the IS on - not the fault of the IS. Although the shot of Rubens above was taken with the 70-200MkII, which I remembered to set to IS mode II for panning, I forgot to turn the IS itself on! :-[

As for technique, I have found the following helps: I keep the camera as firmly pressed to my forehead as I can with my elbows tucked in under the camera and I turn at the hip. And of course practice practice practice!

Upvote 0
A couple from me from the Goodwood FOS moving motor show, shot on my 50d with Tamron 17-50 2.8. Definitely could have done with a longer lens but didn't want to lug my 120-400mm around with me all day!

IMG_2345 by jimmyb156, on Flickr

IMG_2253 by jimmyb156, on Flickr

IMG_2629 by jimmyb156, on Flickr

And one not from Goodwood, same lens and body combo...

2012-06-20 by jimmyb156, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Mick

Wildlife, Landscape and above all sport.
Mar 12, 2012
UK
First shot is a shot of Josh Brookes British Superbikes. Pin sharp, hand held Canon 7D and 300 prime. Second one is a car, im a bike person so this was a bit of practice, Third is British superbike champion Tommy Hill. No pro track access so i had to use my brain to get a decent shot.The third shot was the most difficult. Canon 500 f4, gimbal head, tripod, minus a two thirds exposure compensation, focus point set to far left, speed set to 200th sec, calculate which class it is, which corner, which track,so which of three cameras, which of three lens to use. Curl hand over the top of the lens. All the tracks, corners and classes have different speeds so you have to calculate what speed to use. Pre focus on the track because i have no pro access so cant see the bikes approaching, hear them start panning, pic up the bike, single shot, and its blurred. Damm, start again. And no photoshop.

Mick

Attachments

• _MG_1282.jpg
    _MG_1282.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 1,673
  • _MG_00C10.jpg
    _MG_00C10.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,683
  • _P4D0254.jpg
    _P4D0254.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,676
Upvote 0