PowerShot G1 X Mark II Specs Emerge? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-specs-emerge-cr1/"></g:plusone></div><div style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a href="https://twitter.com/share" class="twitter-share-button" data-count="vertical" data-url="http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/01/powershot-g1-x-mark-ii-specs-emerge-cr1/">Tweet</a></div>
Rumored specs for a replacement to the PowerShot G1 X have surfaced on the Xitek forums. The camera will “probably” be announced for CP+ next month in Tokyo. If true, it looks like Canon isn’t straying too far from the original G1 X. Pricing will probably be the biggest thing in this cameras success. It can’t be anywhere near the original $700 price tag.</p>
<ul>
<li>20.2MP 1.5″ CMOS sensor</li>
<li>3 inch LCD touch screen</li>
<li>Similar size and design to the G1 X</li>
<li>DIGIC 6</li>
<li>24-120mm f/2.8-5.8</li>
<li>New “real image” optical viewfinder.</li>
</ul>
<p>Source: [<a href="http://forum.xitek.com/thread-1233550-1-1-1.html" target="_blank">XT</a>] via [<a href="http://photorumors.com/2014/01/14/canon-g1-x-mark-ii-camera-rumored-specifications/#more-53202" target="_blank">PR</a>]</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
duydaniel said:
Rienzphotoz said:
This sounds interesting ... I recently bought the G1X for my vacation and really liked using it ... don't know what they mean by a "real image view finder", but it sounds pretty interesting.

I think it meant electronic VF where you can see live adjustment (you get what you see).
If so, that is a great solution for this camera ... coz the so called "view finder" on the current G1X is joke and is not worthy of being called a view finder. If they do put a electronic view finder and the ability to focus at moderately shorter distances for simple macro shots, the G1X II will be a great camera.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The original price of the G1X was indeed silly. I would also have preferred a 3:2 sensor and the ability to tether it to my computer. For the high price, lots of features were missing. Although I like a swivel screen, it mostly goes unused where a touch screen would get a lot of use.

I managed to snag mine during one of the special Adorama sales with free printer, Adobe Software, and a $400 rebate. I sold the printer, and the software, and used the Amex card at Costco until it was used up.

I figured that my end cost was $150, which was quite reasonable. Then I sold my old G11, and ended up getting cash back for the upgrade. I'll probably never see a deal like that again.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Mt Spokane Photography said:
The original price of the G1X was indeed silly. I would also have preferred a 3:2 sensor and the ability to tether it to my computer. For the high price, lots of features were missing. Although I like a swivel screen, it mostly goes unused where a touch screen would get a lot of use.

I managed to snag mine during one of the special Adorama sales with free printer, Adobe Software, and a $400 rebate. I sold the printer, and the software, and used the Amex card at Costco until it was used up.

I figured that my end cost was $150, which was quite reasonable. Then I sold my old G11, and ended up getting cash back for the upgrade. I'll probably never see a deal like that again.
That's a great deal ... and good business sense on your part.

Upvote 0
The wider angle on the lens would be greatly appreciated. The touchscreen will be nice, and keeping the swivel screen is a must. I think that the G1X replacement absolutely needs to have wifi, though, and should also have GPS too. Especially if they want to introduce it at a price point as high as the first one was. I find it hard to believe these are not in the spec list.

I would appreciate if they could get the aperture at all faster, though. Better focusing, too. I feel like the dual pixel AF would really be appreciated here. The original just hunts too much in low light, and can't do proper close focusing or macro without fiddling around in the menus.

I'm glad they're continuing with the G1X line, at least. But I'm guessing I can stop waiting for that firmware update to the original that was supposed to improve all the focusing issues (like the M got).

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Aug 22, 2012
Rienzphotoz said:
duydaniel said:
Rienzphotoz said:
This sounds interesting ... I recently bought the G1X for my vacation and really liked using it ... don't know what they mean by a "real image view finder", but it sounds pretty interesting.

I think it meant electronic VF where you can see live adjustment (you get what you see).
If so, that is a great solution for this camera ... coz the so called "view finder" on the current G1X is joke and is not worthy of being called a view finder. If they do put a electronic view finder and the ability to focus at moderately shorter distances for simple macro shots, the G1X II will be a great camera.
Having re-read the post, I see that it is NOT an electronic VF ... the post says "New real image optical viewfinder" ... wonder that that means.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
Rienzphotoz said:
Having re-read the post, I see that it is NOT an electronic VF ... the post says "New real image optical viewfinder" ... wonder that that means.

The G-series OVFs have looked like they've been covered in Vaseline of late. Maybe they're removing the Vaseline.

If this could be a little longer at the long end, my wife might like it for her purse camera. She currently has an SX260 (25-500 equivalent range) but doesn't use more than 300mm or so very often at all. Since this is a larger sensor and has more pixels, it's more cropable, but I'm not sure 120mm equivalent at 20MP is cropable enough for her to get where she'd like to be. 24-200 would do it for sure, but then it might look like the Pro 1 did and not fit in her purse anymore.

Upvote 0
Rienzphotoz said:
Rienzphotoz said:
duydaniel said:
Rienzphotoz said:

It would just be too much to hope that Canon would put an EVF in this thing. Even though it would be the perfect camera for it. Maybe by the G5X in 2019.

Upvote 0
DIGIC 6 will make a huge difference in performance...just look at the G15 to G16.

mrzero said:
The wider angle on the lens would be greatly appreciated. The touchscreen will be nice, and keeping the swivel screen is a must. I think that the G1X replacement absolutely needs to have wifi, though, and should also have GPS too. Especially if they want to introduce it at a price point as high as the first one was. I find it hard to believe these are not in the spec list.

I would appreciate if they could get the aperture at all faster, though. Better focusing, too. I feel like the dual pixel AF would really be appreciated here. The original just hunts too much in low light, and can't do proper close focusing or macro without fiddling around in the menus.

I'm glad they're continuing with the G1X line, at least. But I'm guessing I can stop waiting for that firmware update to the original that was supposed to improve all the focusing issues (like the M got).

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
DIGIC 6 will make a huge difference in performance...just look at the G15 to G16.

Whut?
I didn´t register just to start flame, but when I see RAW images, I see nothing special (better) about G16 IQ and noise. Of course, JPEG processing is better, but not so much, especially at higher ISOs. Everything they did (to my eye) is they smudged it even more, and used less sharpness. See DPR resolution chart. G16 is even worse...

//But still. Some refresh (EOS, Powershot) must come, so cash is waiting...

Upvote 0