PowerShot G17 Mentioned Again [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
We received another mention about the Canon PowerShot G17, which we’re told will come before the end of June.</p>
<p>SPECIFICATIONS</p>
<ul>
<li>PowerShot G17</li>
<li>24-168mm</li>
<li>7x Zoom</li>
<li>f/1.2 – f/2.0 Lens</li>
<li>DIGIC 6+</li>
<li>Larger Sensor</li>
<li>All Magnesium Body</li>
</ul>
<p>The fast lens would be very welcomed in the PowerShot line, so I suspect the camera will be a bit bigger if these specs are the real deal. We’ve seen most of these specs multiple times, we’re just waiting for the announcement.</p>

I passed up on the GX7 as my new pocket cam hoping to see the sensor go in the G17, although sounds like the retracted lens may protrude further and that would be no good, as it may no longer be pocketable [for me]. And no view finder plz. <--- If anybody disagrees I shall begin hurling insults. lol

I will always miss my old G11. That was by far the best "fun factor" camera I ever had. I mean 1cm macro, full swivel screen, and both an exposure comp and ISO dial!

Upvote 0
I bought the G16 because I think it is the last of a kind - and I just had to have it. Call it a kind of nostalgia or GAS or whatever. It may not be a perfect camera but it does have a unique and classic set of features, one of which is the optical viewfinder, and another is the relatively tiny sensor that definitely has its shortcomings but does allow for a reasonably compact optical package (despite the somewhat more bulky body).

So far I have used it very little to be honest - more due to circumstance and the luxury problem of owning too many good camera's than anything else- but I plan to bring it as a backup camera for an upcoming trip to China. Also I might use it to shoot some travel video on that trip.

Anyway I'm happy I bought it at the time but to be sure it's a bit of a dinosaur and if Canon brings out a G17 with the same sort of general specification and feature set (a G17 would logically follow the evolutionary -rather than revolutionary- development of the G** series), well then I would be *really* surprised.

Upvote 0