Powershot G7X or E-PL7 + 14-42 Pancake

quod said:
I saw your post in another thread and you asked for responses to this question. I don't know any of the cameras that you have listed. However, I can recommend the Fuji X100S or X100T. I have the X100S. It is quite small and takes amazing photos.

but they have only a fixed focal length.
i need a more flexible zoomrange.

they are a bit too expensive.
the three i mentioned are all around 600-650 euro.

and they are too big. did not want to go bigger then E-PL7.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#566,565

Upvote 0
pleasehelp said:
I am in need of a new smaller camera. I will only use it with the kit lens.

I wonder, will the image quality of the Olympus E-PL7 be much better than the G7X?

When the G7X has the Sony sensor and size is not a main concern what would you buy?

Or maybe the Sony A5100. But i read the kit lens is very bad.

Please help i don´t know.... :-[

The E-PL7 would likely be better in good light due to the larger sensor, the G7X's faster lens would in theory actually make it the superior low light camera(E-PL7's sensor is just under a stop better but g7X's lens is closer to 2 stops faster) although how the lens performs wide open is of course unknown.

Personally I'd buy a Canon EOS M + 22mm and 18-55mm as by far the best value at the moment.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Two different beasts, with similar image quality.

Buy the Canon (it's a point & shoot with fixed lens)...boom your done. You have an all-in-one camera that does some things well and some things not so well. ...but it is all in you have, nothing more to buy. Simple. Significantly faster f/stop on lens but no VF.

Buy the Oly and you are buying into a sophisticated camera system. Which you could utilize or not...but you have room to grow. You can put any lens from the most sophisticated mirrorless lens system out there...bar none. You have a LOT of choices! You can add the incredible VF4 viewfinder to have an well-rounded, full photography experience. Tons of options, but waaaaay more expensive.

If you just want a camera to take snappies, the Canon is the best bet...it has a lot to offer in one package and you are done.
If you want to grow into photography as a more serious hobby than the Oly is the way to go.

If you just want to take selfies, buy the Canon, you will save money and can take them in lower light! LOL!

Upvote 0
If you want to grow into photography as a more serious hobby than the Oly is the way to go.

I have some stuff for my Canon cameras.

iCRP0Vz.jpg

+ a 17-40mm and a 20D.

It´s not that im completely new to photography. Im just not a tech freak. :)

I want a smaller carry around camera.
Im pretty sure i will not buy lenses for it.
So a good kit lens or good build in lens would be nice. :)

The EOS M with zoom lens is too big (the lens).
The E-PL7 with "pancake" zoom is smaller.

Will the G7X and the E-PL7 give me the same image quality around ISO 100-800?

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
MoreorLess...you are giving out bad information. The sensor on the Canon is actually LARGER! Not significantly...image quality between the two cameras is basically very close.

Canon G7X Sensor: 5472 x 3648 pixels
Olympus E-PL7 Sensor: 4608 x 3456 pixels

And I am a huge Olympus fan! LOL! I have a 10-Lens Canon Full-Frame System
and a 10-Lens Olympus MFT System (Canon .... please take note of full, complete mirrorless system!!!! ;D)

Both are incredible. I do not own a P&S Camera because my E-PL6 is so small and versatile, why would I need one! :p

moreorless said:
pleasehelp said:
I am in need of a new smaller camera. I will only use it with the kit lens.

I wonder, will the image quality of the Olympus E-PL7 be much better than the G7X?

When the G7X has the Sony sensor and size is not a main concern what would you buy?

Or maybe the Sony A5100. But i read the kit lens is very bad.

Please help i don´t know.... :-[

The E-PL7 would likely be better in good light due to the larger sensor, the G7X's faster lens would in theory actually make it the superior low light camera(E-PL7's sensor is just under a stop better but g7X's lens is closer to 2 stops faster) although how the lens performs wide open is of course unknown.

Personally I'd buy a Canon EOS M + 22mm and 18-55mm as by far the best value at the moment.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Answer to your specific question below. If you are pixel peeping the Canon will come out ahead.
It has a larger sensor, a faster lens (allowing you to shoot at a higher ISO in lower light) and it has optical image stabilization..which helps keep the ISO better in low light with non-moving subjects.

The Olympus with kit lens has body stabilization, but a slower lens and smaller sensor.

If you are looking for a simple, small, P&S with no viewfinder option, an all-in-one package...buy the Canon.

pleasehelp said:
I have some stuff for my Canon cameras.

iCRP0Vz.jpg

+ a 17-40mm and a 20D.

It´s not that im completely new to photography. Im just not a tech freak. :)

The EOS M with zoom lens is too big (the lens).
The E-PL7 with "pancake" zoom is smaller.

Will the G7X and the E-PL7 give me the same image quality around ISO 100-800?

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
pleasehelp said:
infared said:
MoreorLess...you are giving out bad information. The sensor on the Canon is actually LARGER! Not significantly...image quality between the two cameras is basically very close.

I guess that´s wrong.

GBOAD1z.png

G7 X has a 1" and E-PL7 has a m43 sensor.

WOW...you are right..but Canon jammed that many pixels on there!
My bad. I apologize...DPR did not state "actual" sensor size...just pixel count.

Actual Sensor size on Olympus; 17.3X13.0mm
Actual Sensor size on Canon: 13.2x 8.8mm

The pixel counts I mentioned remain the same.
The Olympus will hold up better imaging based on the larger pixel size and sensor.

That also makes me happy because I have the E-PL6! LOL!

Attachments

• G7X.jpg
    G7X.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0