Powershot Perils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The convenience of the Powershot line is hard to overestimate. With the S95, etc., you can put a lot of photography power in your pocket. Unfortunately, those great little cameras can also be easy to lose, misplace, overlook, etc.

Last Saturday I went out on an all-day imaging spree, doing several events and some general street/transit stuff. DSLR in hand, and lenses, batteries, memory cards, etc. in a bag -- and my S95 in my pants pocket. When I got home, my S95 did not come home with me. So, I spent a couple of days calling event organizers, police departments, etc. I also began pondering if there is a Sony RX100 in my future. (That should give Canon pause.)

This morning I got a call from a transit agency. One of their police officers found my camera in a train station and turned it in as found. Reunion is scheduled for tomorrow morning.

It can happen to you! I was extremely fortunate; I really did not expect to ever see the camera again. I also found I was not as prepared as I should have been. Insurance is the obvious first possibility, but that's got drawbacks, not the least of which is a deductible that may not leave much coverage with the lower values of Powershots.

Somewhere I probably have the camera's serial number, but I'd have to do a lot of searching, and I might not have it around here. I had registered it with Canon though, so the serial number is there -- huge help in documenting it with police in recovery.

Anyway, just a word to think ahead a bit. If you've got a Powershot in your pocket, be ready one day to arrive home without it. As the Boy Scouts say, be prepared.

Have something to tie it to you. :D But kidding aside, I invested in a very small belt bag for my G11. It always go there after using it. It's easier to lose your S95 from your pants pocket than when you put it inside a small belt bag. It doesn't cost much to have one. Just buy the smallest one for your S95. It's not conspicuous enough to gather attention. You can also hide it beneath your shirt. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.