Preorder the new Canon Gear

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I'd like to pre-order two R1's.
I like my R5 so much that I'm not going to pre-order *anything*.

Admittedly, I'd feel much more secure on my long-haul trips if I had a second (emergency backup) body, but none of the models below the R5 appeal to me. Best choice for me would probably be another R5, but cheapest I can find new is GBP 2700.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Admittedly, I'd feel much more secure on my long-haul trips if I had a second (emergency backup) body, but none of the models below the R5 appeal to me. Best choice for me would probably be another R5, but cheapest I can find new is GBP 2700.
I agree about the R5 - by far the best camera I have owned. I am happy with the R7 as a back up.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I agree about the R5 - by far the best camera I have owned. I am happy with the R7 as a back up.
I can think of a few improvements that I'd like in a "R5 Mkii", such as pre-capture, better high ISO performance, a choice of burst speeds in ES, a stickier AF that could be initiated in any size of AF zone, and a Fujifilm/Panasonic style rear screen.

But honestly, I don't think any (or all) of these would be enough to make me upgrade - it just wouldn't make sense to spend £4K+ on a R5 Mkii when I could just get another R5 body, and use the existing one as a backup/second body. I sure as hell don't need/want more MP, and the video side of things doesn't really interest me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I can think of a few improvements that I'd like in a "R5 Mkii", such as pre-capture, better high ISO performance, a choice of burst speeds in ES, a stickier AF that could be initiated in any size of AF zone, and a Fujifilm/Panasonic style rear screen.

But honestly, I don't think any (or all) of these would be enough to make me upgrade - it just wouldn't make sense to spend £4K+ on a R5 Mkii when I could just get another R5 body, and use the existing one as a backup/second body. I sure as hell don't need/want more MP, and the video side of things doesn't really interest me.
Pretty sure you'll eventually get those wishes in an R5 II (apart from the rear screen!), but it could be a few years away. I suspect their attention will have to turn to the mythic R1 soon.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Pretty sure you'll eventually get those wishes in an R5 II (apart from the rear screen!), but it could be a few years away. I suspect their attention will have to turn to the mythic R1 soon.
IMO the next camera will be a "R5s", i.e. a very high resolution camera, primarily for stills, and I think it will be launched later this year.

Possibly, around the same time we'll see the launch of a "R5ii" which will likely have pre-capture, choice of burst speeds in ES, and upgraded AF. I think it will have the same sensor as the current R5. Sadly, it's very unlikely that Canon will dump the flippy screen and fit a better design.

"R1" launch will be timed for shortly before the 2024 Olympics, so I'd expect a development announcement around August this year, with prototypes/beta versions "in the wild" next winter.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
IMO the next camera will be a "R5s", i.e. a very high resolution camera, primarily for stills, and I think it will be launched later this year.

Possibly, around the same time we'll see the launch of a "R5ii" which will likely have pre-capture, choice of burst speeds in ES, and upgraded AF. I think it will have the same sensor as the current R5. Sadly, it's very unlikely that Canon will dump the flippy screen and fit a better design.

"R1" launch will be timed for shortly before the 2024 Olympics, so I'd expect a development announcement around August this year, with prototypes/beta versions "in the wild" next winter.
The R5 sensor is excellent, by far the best non BSI sensor made by Canon and processes data very fast. In order to have an R5ii that is more than an incremental upgrade for me, it would need to have an even faster sensor and be most likely a stacked BSI. Or, would that be the as yet mythical R1?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The R5 sensor is excellent, by far the best non BSI sensor made by Canon and processes data very fast. In order to have an R5ii that is more than an incremental upgrade for me, it would need to have an even faster sensor and be most likely a stacked BSI. Or, would that be the as yet mythical R1?
This is my guess for the next models, in order of launch date:

First, a 90MP+ stills orientated R5S.
Second, an upgraded R5 as described in my OP, using the same 45MP sensor.
Third, the R1, with a new 60MP-ish stacked BSI, otherwise specced similarly to the Z9.

I'm not interested in an incremental upgrade. The most important area is the sensor. For me to consider an upgrade, I'd want it to have fast readout (to enable efficient hand-held stacking/merging), better DR (I often work in very contrasty rainforest lighting, and fill-flash isn't an option due to the nervous nature of my subjects), and better high ISO performance in terms of noise and colour fidelity. All of this will probably come in the R1, but I don't want a gripped camera, and I'm not prepared to pay R1 price (I'd guess at least £6K).

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018

GBP 2700, via Hongkong, I presume.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
2 features I miss in the R5 (that's why I haven't bought it yet):
- eye controlled AF
- hand-held merging, like Olympus' OM1
If they don't come, or even only in part with the EOS R*, I'll get the R5.
Objectively speaking, the R5 offers far more than I'll ever need.
Eye-controlled AF point selection seems to work well for some people, but badly for others. I photograph insects in "awkward" positions and often have to contort my head at angles to the EVF, so I don't think eye-control AF would be of any value at all to me, as I imagine your eye has to remain in a constant position in relation to the EVF eyepiece, for it to be reliable.

I could find plenty of use for *hand-held* focus-stacking and various computational techniques that involve merging, but for the foreseeable future I think these will be confined to sensors smaller than FF. In the Canon world, I'd expect this to happen with the next "R7ii", but even then it would I think be quite limited in effectiveness, compared to M43.

GBP 2700, via Hongkong, I presume.
Yes, GBP 2730 from Panamoz, but available slightly cheaper from untested sources in Switzerland, via eBay. I'd stick with Panamoz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Eye-controlled AF point selection seems to work well for some people, but badly for others. I photograph insects in "awkward" positions and often have to contort my head at angles to the EVF, so I don't think eye-control AF would be of any value at all to me, as I imagine your eye has to remain in a constant position in relation to the EVF eyepiece, for it to be reliable.

I could find plenty of use for *hand-held* focus-stacking and various computational techniques that involve merging, but for the foreseeable future I think these will be confined to sensors smaller than FF. In the Canon world, I'd expect this to happen with the next "R7ii", but even then it would I think be quite limited in effectiveness, compared to M43.

Yes, GBP 2730 from Panamoz, but available slightly cheaper from untested sources in Switzerland, via eBay. I'd stick with Panamoz.
Looks like Panamoz sells items out of continental warehouses too. (No custom duties, no additional VAT).
Interesting for me, since I'd save about 900 Euro on an R5!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Looks like Panamoz sells items out of continental warehouses too. (No custom duties, no additional VAT).
Interesting for me, since I'd save about 900 Euro on an R5!
I've been using them for 10 years. Extremely good service, very fast delivery, great 3 year warranty and fast response to emails. Check them out on Trustpilot, they always get 5 star reviews.

• Love
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I've been using them for 10 years. Extremely good service, very fast delivery, great 3 year warranty and fast response to emails. Check them out on Trustpilot, they always get 5 star reviews.
In my case, they answered within 5 (five!) minutes...
I guess they gained a new customer. Thanks again for the info!

Upvote 0