Price Drop: Canon EOS RP w/24-105mm f/4-7.1 IS STM $999 (Reg $1399)

Feb 9, 2019
true.... am also waiting for BF and taking chance.. expecting to get same deal if not better but if not then end of December will be last bet. I dont expect R mkii as that will kill R and RP both and Canon will not do it atleast next 2yrs I feel, they dont have enough room to kill two very new cameras {R/RP still new compare to what canon does to its bodies}. There can be an APS-C mirrorless but that's a different sector

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
Guys and gals, this deal can be combined with the Canon Loyalty Program for 15% off! I just bought this for $849 + Tax, and I plan on selling the kit lens to bring the cost down even more since this will be my back-up cam. I'm upgrading from the M6.

The number to call is: 1 (866) 443-8002, option "2"
Nice! Sweet TIP! Thank you!

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I wonder if Australia will get a price cut? For my next camera I'm considering the RP, 90D or 850D. I've never used a Full-frame so my concern with birding is will the images be too tiny after cropping to even look any good? It will be used with the Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS. Or would I be better off sticking with the crop sensor?
70-300mm would be too short on the RP. The 90D would give better reach.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Guys and gals, this deal can be combined with the Canon Loyalty Program for 15% off! I just bought this for $849 + Tax, and I plan on selling the kit lens to bring the cost down even more since this will be my back-up cam. I'm upgrading from the M6.

The number to call is: 1 (866) 443-8002, option "2"
Good information. Enjoy your new gear.

Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
70-300mm would be too short on the RP. The 90D would give better reach.
It's very difficult to beat the crop sensors for any kind of bird photography, unless you can get up close by using a blind of some kind, making it easier to fill the frame with whatever you are photographing. Regardless, whenever visiting the SilverBluff Audubon Wildlife Sanctuary, a 3400 ac refuge, located only 20 mi from here, I sometimes feel inadequate, as I arrive with my full frame 6DII coupled to a 70-200 EF 2.8L and 1.4 extender, only to see an army of photographers bearing Canon white 5-600 EF L lenses, often attached to 7D Mark II bodies, as we wait for the storks and bald eagles to arrive. At least Canon was thinking of their full frame photographers with the newly released RF 600 and 800mm F11 lenses that don't break the bank to acquire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Agreed .. If I was new then this is definitely better deal than getting 80D or T8i ... i guess 90D is still better at 33mp

The MP is a wash IMO 27.1 vs 32.5 is somewhat moot. However if shooting w/ EF-S Glass than it would be more apparent as that would effectively drop the RP to 16.9... but then again I did preface it 'if I was new'... which I would not have any EF-S glass. However the 90D kit is much more than the RP deal right now... so there's that to consider.

This would get you full frame and mirrorless at a very good entry price.

Also noticed other retailers are doing the same deal (which stands to reason being a manf sale).

Upvote 0
I wonder if Australia will get a price cut?
Digidirect have recently had a 20% off sale and 15% off 2 months ago.
Digital Camera Warehouse have a 10% off sale at the moment until 2-November. RP (body only) for AUD1699
Canon Australia are currently backing a free lens worth AUD649
"Bonus RF 35mm F1.8 STM Macro Lens. Via Redemption. - Ends 31.10.2020 "
so roughly AUD1k for RP+RF35mm if you wanted that kit.

EDIT for Mr Majestyk
AUD1699=Canon EOS RP
Zero cost for RF35mm from Canon Australia via redemption
AUD1699= total cost for RP + RF35mm

Given the RF35mm is ~AUD650 at the moment, the RP's cost as part of the bundle is ~AUD1000

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
You do know there is the RP camera in that bundle... right?

Reminds me of what I did when they had the 24-105 f/4 on sale as a refurb a few months back (just before the R5 release). It came with a refurbed RP and I was referring to it as the accessory. I basically got a perfectly good lens, just as good as a new one, plus an RP that cost a whole $250 on top of the regular 24-105 price.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2019
I think it's a great camera in any lighting conditions. I just don't pixel peep the highest ISOs or expect to make 48" prints from them like you can at low ISO.
Oh i never knew that..can you tell me upto which ISO it looks usable or how much stop i can increase in LR without visible grain! {trying to compare it with my aged 7D}..is that ISO comparable with 5dmkiv

Upvote 0

Vivid Color

CR Pro
Dec 7, 2012
I bought this combo about a year ago right when the 24-240 was released and paid about twice the current price for it. I hadn't planned on doing so, but I injured my foot right before a trip to Morocco and I could not handle the weight of my 6D and several L lenses. So I took the RP with the 24-240 and my iPhone and that was it. I love the RP and the 24-240! One of the things I love best about the RP is the view finder. It's the first one in which I can actually read the info along the bottom of the view finder's image. While the quality of the images is not as good as ones I can get with my L glass, it is still very very good and way better than what I can get with my M5. In fact, my experience with the RP and the huge step up in quality prompted me to sell my m5 and all of my EF-M lenses (I know there are some very good EF-M lenses, but they were not on my camera most of the time. However, I'm keeping my 6D and L glass.) This is a fantastic deal and perfect for situations where you don't want to or can't change a lens.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
A

Agreed...they are keeping room for R... so I guess RP @800.. R @ 1300 .. 5DmkIV@1900... R6 @2300 ..probable price at holidays ...and I'll go for R if the gap is 600 between R and 5dmkIV.. R6 is perfect if someone comes out of mental barrier of 20mp {which i cant ..even though i understand 20 and 30 are same unless you print big}

I agree, I was thinking the same way until recently. One thing may make me change my mind if the better 4k60p on the R6 compared to the R5. I do not shoot many videos but when I shoot I am thinking the R6 will get me better 4k60p footage. Of course this is purely a personal preference.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Oh i never knew that..can you tell me upto which ISO it looks usable

With any camera as ISO increases maximum print size drops. So even 12,800 pushed 1ev (for effective 25,600) is usable if all you're doing is printing 5x7 or 8x10. I agree with Imaging Resource's print size evaluation at the end of this page with the caveat that good post processing NR can take you to the next size. So for example they list 20x30 as the max size for ISO 3200, but I've got ISO 3200 files I would happily print to 36".

or how much stop i can increase in LR without visible grain! {trying to compare it with my aged 7D}

I own both the 5Ds and the 7D. If by "stop increase" you mean high ISO, I would easily rank the 5Ds two stops higher than the 7D just based on noise, more if considering sharpness/detail at high ISO. If by "stop increase" you mean shadow push at base ISO, you can push shadows about 1ev more with the 5Ds.

..is that ISO comparable with 5dmkiv

To the extent that I've played with both (I don't own a 5D4 so I don't have the stick time on it that I do on cameras I own), I feel like the 5D4 is cleaner in large areas of flat color at the same ISO. But the 5Ds/sR are sharper and record more detail even at 12,800. You can always trade off sharpness/detail for less noise with NR, but you can't really go the opposite direction. Sharpening a high ISO file will just emphasize noise, and won't create detail where there is none.

To be honest though, if you're doing something like making a 13x19" ISO 6400 print from both cameras, I don't think there is that much difference. They both can reach similar print sizes at the highest ISOs. The 5D4 has an edge at the very top for natively supporting a usable...for small print sizes...ISO 25,600 and 32,000.

The real difference is at the other end of ISO, where the 5Ds/sR produce MFDB like detail and can make huge prints, or heavily cropped prints. That's what you're buying, insane fine detail and sharpness with the right glass. The 5D4 OTOH will give you better base ISO DR and features, and is no slouch when it comes to sharpness/detail. Both are fine cameras. But the pricing on the 5Ds/sR make them a steal right now. If I had gone the direction of a 5D4 as my main body, at these prices I would add a 5Ds. If you're looking to upgrade from a 7D, don't wait, just buy one. The IQ gain is huge, and that's coming from someone who was a fan of the 7D.

Upvote 0