Status
Not open for further replies.

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
jazoni said:
Anyone know if the prices on the 7D and/or the 60D will drop with the release of the upcoming 5DMK III? I'm looking to buy either one in the next couple weeks but wondering if I should wait to see if the price drops. Any predictions?

If the high price prediction of the 5d3/5dx is correct, I guess everything will stay the same. The 7D's price has already dropped quite a lot, but it still has the "top of the aps-c line" premium on it, so it might move a little down if the 5d2 drops some.

But I do not these things happening because Canon's camera body lineup is so crammed at the moment that any further reductions on 60D/7D will make the 600D/650D obsolete. My wild guess (but this is canon guesses, after all) is rather that they'll phase out the 7D and move the 70D up again, but that's the future.

Further, masses of people seem to itch for the 5d3/5dx moment to jump on the full frame wagon and get a cheap/used 5d2, so demand is high and prices will stay high.

Upvote 0
R

Rexepic

Yep, it seems that with everyone waiting for the new release, many people want to sell their 5DMkII or 7D to help finance it. Looks like the market will be flooded with these bodies. Prices are already dropping on eBay and other sites. Let's hope it doesn't drop too much. I hope to get some value out of my 7D and a few EF-S lenses so I can make the upgrade.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Rexepic said:
Yep, it seems that with everyone waiting for the new release, many people want to sell their 5DMkII or 7D to help finance it. Looks like the market will be flooded with these bodies. Prices are already dropping on eBay and other sites. Let's hope it doesn't drop too much. I hope to get some value out of my 7D and a few EF-S lenses so I can make the upgrade.

Someone recently commented that the used body prices are always lowest just before the release of a new body, and then this happens:

a) Once it's out people realize the new, most expensive toy on the block is not worth spending thousand of bucks and keep their old body for the time being.

b) And even if the 5d3 is announces, it'll take quite a while to get one delivered to everybody who wants it - and people won't sell their body unless they got a new one.

c) And even if they get it, many will hang on to the 5d2 as a backup or give it to their beloved for free, because 1000-1500 bucks don't mean much to people buying lenses for 10000+.

... imho a) + b) + c) means that the market will be far from being "flooded" with 5d2 bodies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.