Question about AI-Servo mode in Canon 7D

I shoot a Canon 7D, mostly static subjects such as dragonflies, spiders, and perched birds. I use back-button AF and typically a single focus point placed as close to the eye of the subject as possible. I am usually handholding or monopod mounted at 200-300 mm with IS lenses and I try to keep shutter speeds roughly equal to or at least ½ my focal length. I am set to high-speed continuous shutter release and AI-Servo. I acquire focus with the back button (AF-ON) and keep the button depressed while I activate the shutter and fire off a burst of 3-4 shots.

When I look at the 3-4 exposures within a burst on the computer monitor, I see subtle differences in focus sharpness. What is happening when the subject is not moving under a single AF point? I assume one possibility is that I am moving the camera slightly from one exposure to the next within a burst. If that is the case, does the camera try to refocus for each exposure within a burst or is it locking exposure when I first depress the AF-ON button and retaining that same focus during the entire burst? If the camera is trying to refocus between shots within a burst, would I be better off using slow speed continuous burst rate to allow it more time to adjust focus?

I think I understand what AI Servo is trying to do when the subject is moving or when there are multiple AF points activated and focus is being handed off from one point to another. It is less clear to me what is happening when I am using a single AF point on a static target. Should I be using AI-Focus mode for this kind of work rather than AI-Servo? Am I making this more complicated than it really is? Thanks for your help.

PS – does your answer also apply to the 7DII, which I hope acquire in a few months?

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
fishprof said:
I assume one possibility is that I am moving the camera slightly from one exposure to the next within a burst.

That would be my guess, and I'm not entirely sure how well IS and monopod combine in any case (do you have a IS mode 2 on your lenses?).

The second point you're probably mistaken about is the effect of IS: it generates "ok" pictures vs. bare handheld, but for full sharpness w/o being lucky you need higher shutter speeds or a sturdy tripod. IS always introduces some jitter, and shots are never the same.

fishprof said:
If that is the case, does the camera try to refocus for each exposure within a burst or is it locking exposure when I first depress the AF-ON button and retaining that same focus during the entire burst?

It's called one-shot mode for a reason - the focus setting on the lens stays the same when servo is off.

fishprof said:
Should I be using AI-Focus mode for this kind of work rather than AI-Servo?

AI Focus mode is a gimmick, don't expect the camera to detect when a subject is moving or not.

fishprof said:
Should I be using AI- Am I making this more complicated than it really is?

Imho these shots are simply complicated, you best bet is to burst and refocus a few times, then pick the best exposure.

Upvote 0