Questions about DxO Photolab 4

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Questions about DeepPrime Noise Reduction...Can it be applied (or brushed out) locally? I've been playing with the trial version and see it sometimes blurs downy feathers too much if they are sticking out from the bird. (Googling isn't coming up with an answer that I'm seeing.)

Also, any news about whether we can actually see the noise reduction results in real time, rather than using only the little preview window or waiting to see the results in an export?

I've heard so much about PL 4 here that I had to give it a try. I'm seeing at ISO 2500 and up on the R5 more blotchiness than I like in skies and blue water, and fiddling with LR CC and PS CC are not working as well as hoped.

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2011
Questions about DeepPrime Noise Reduction...Can it be applied (or brushed out) locally? I've been playing with the trial version and see it sometimes blurs downy feathers too much if they are sticking out from the bird. (Googling isn't coming up with an answer that I'm seeing.)

Also, any news about whether we can actually see the noise reduction results in real time, rather than using only the little preview window or waiting to see the results in an export?

I've heard so much about PL 4 here that I had to give it a try. I'm seeing at ISO 2500 and up on the R5 more blotchiness than I like in skies and blue water, and fiddling with LR CC and PS CC are not working as well as hoped.

Thanks!
Even if it couldn’t, and I know nothing about it, why not just layer a before and after in PS and brush in the areas you want?

But as always a few examples to show what you are talking about helps a lot.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Even if it couldn’t, and I know nothing about it, why not just layer a before and after in PS and brush in the areas you want?

But as always a few examples to show what you are talking about helps a lot.
Yes, I know I could work with duplicates and layers in PS CC, but one reason to spend $150 is to make the workflow more efficient and not need to do this.

I would like to know if DeepPrime can be selectively applied or erased in certain areas while working WITHIN Photolab 4--before exporting.

And it was a real surprise to find that DeepPrime cannot be seen real-time in the workspace.

But the final denoise results in the blue areas I mentioned are impressive!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011

Thanks!
Those are two good questions

For the realtime view of a denoise, used to be able to see that when viewing at 75% and above but that was removed a while back, presumably a performance thing shame as it was really useful would be great if they brought it back.

For being able to apply to local areas, it does have that functionality but i don't know if it has for that specific effect, i generally just process globally and apply local tweaks in AP. I'll try when I get home if not answered by someone else (outside a covid inoculation centre waiting on wife!)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Those are two good questions

For the realtime view of a denoise, used to be able to see that when viewing at 75% and above but that was removed a while back, presumably a performance thing shame as it was really useful would be great if they brought it back.

For being able to apply to local areas, it does have that functionality but i don't know if it has for that specific effect, i generally just process globally and apply local tweaks in AP. I'll try when I get home if not answered by someone else (outside a covid inoculation centre waiting on wife!)
Thanks! I'm hoping to get my mystery dose this week!

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Thanks! I'm hoping to get my mystery dose this week!
I got my AZ last week, very happy about it a real light at the end of the tunnel!

So to PL4
Very happy I tried this, first I upgraded to 4.2 (was on 4.1.1)

Unless this has just been re introduced in this latest version I was wrong about the auto display it does show denoise in the full view and at all zoom values. I've just not noticed it at the denoise values I use. But to test to answer your question I messed about with much higher values so I learned something today, thank you! :)

The Denoise settings are global so you can't apply them to a specific area but there is an easy way round it. Apply globally then apply a local sharpening mask to the area you want to bring back detail in seems to work fine.

Not how I work though. I tend not to go overboard with denoise (hence the learned thing above) I'll process globally to suit the key area then do any further denoise and final sharpening in my finishing app i.e. AP which has much more powerful non destructive masking tools, same would obviously apply to PS.
Having said that I'm definitely going to experiment a bit more with this now that I realise I can see the denoise effect on the main image, I'm just not sure now how it correlates the the preview window, the slider seems to be weighted a bit to much towards 100% to see differences on screen but that might be more to do with the image I'm using so yeah, lots to experiment with!

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I got my AZ last week, very happy about it a real light at the end of the tunnel!

So to PL4
Very happy I tried this, first I upgraded to 4.2 (was on 4.1.1)

Unless this has just been re introduced in this latest version I was wrong about the auto display it does show denoise in the full view and at all zoom values. I've just not noticed it at the denoise values I use. But to test to answer your question I messed about with much higher values so I learned something today, thank you! :)

The Denoise settings are global so you can't apply them to a specific area but there is an easy way round it. Apply globally then apply a local sharpening mask to the area you want to bring back detail in seems to work fine.

Not how I work though. I tend not to go overboard with denoise (hence the learned thing above) I'll process globally to suit the key area then do any further denoise and final sharpening in my finishing app i.e. AP which has much more powerful non destructive masking tools, same would obviously apply to PS.
Having said that I'm definitely going to experiment a bit more with this now that I realise I can see the denoise effect on the main image, I'm just not sure now how it correlates the the preview window, the slider seems to be weighted a bit to much towards 100% to see differences on screen but that might be more to do with the image I'm using so yeah, lots to experiment with!
Thank you, Zim.

I am not seeing DeepPrime AI applied in the work-space, only in the little preview window to the side. My trial version does indicate 4.2.0. I get a certain amount of denoise showing, almost exactly like LR CC, but the little preview window shows the full effect, which looks wonderful. And of course the exported .tiff or .jpg shows the denoise.

A lot to like about how the colors and noise are being handled, but it would be even better if I could see the changes real-time in the full workspace...

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA

discusses previews in light of GPU performance. It may depend on the machine you are using.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I also don't see denoise in real time, only in the output. But that doesn't worry me. I find that for most of the time, routine PRIME and standard lens sharpening give me the desired standard of output, and I am fussy. If I want selective sharpening , I don't sharpen at all in PL and then do selective sharpening in Topaz AI.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks!
You might be interested in this review: https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/dxo-photolab-4-software-review

Upvote 0