Quick Detach (QD) plate needed for 5D3

Jul 21, 2010
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I think that you can find used ones on ebay and even Craigslist. I see a local is asking $44 for one.

The issue isn't availability, RRS still sells the original design plates for the 5DIII. What the OP is looking for is a plate with the QD socket that RRS has designed into their newer plates, which is the connection point for their in-licensed strap attachment system (Magpul, a company that makes carrying straps for firearms).

I really doubt that RRS will go back and re-design older plates to include the socket.

Jim's solution is what I use – a Kirk 1" clamp attached (with Loctite) to the lug of my blackrapid straps. I prefer that, because it allows me to connect the strap to any Arca-Swiss dovetail (camera or lens plate).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
I think that you can find used ones on ebay and even Craigslist. I see a local is asking $44 for one.

The issue isn't availability, RRS still sells the original design plates for the 5DIII. What the OP is looking for is a plate with the QD socket that RRS has designed into their newer plates, which is the connection point for their in-licensed strap attachment system (Magpul, a company that makes carrying straps for firearms).

I really doubt that RRS will go back and re-design older plates to include the socket.

Jim's solution is what I use – a Kirk 1" clamp attached (with Loctite) to the lug of my blackrapid straps. I prefer that, because it allows me to connect the strap to any Arca-Swiss dovetail (camera or lens plate).
OK, that sounds right. They will not go back to a discontinued camera and redesign. I use the Kirk 1" clamp as well for larger cameras, but find myself carrying my SL-2 around for outdoor use, its light, just barely big enough for my hands and does a reasonable job. As soon as ISO rises above 3200, images get noticably noisy though.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I use the Kirk 1" clamp as well for larger cameras, but find myself carrying my SL-2 around for outdoor use, its light, just barely big enough for my hands and does a reasonable job.

Yeah. I have multiple ways to carry a camera – the BR strap, a Spider Holster on a Lowepro Batman belt with an Arca clamp from Spider. But for local outings/events, I typically just handhold the 1D X (I have the E1 handstrap on it), and set it down somewhere when I’m not using it.

Upvote 0

dppaskewitz

CR Pro
Jul 19, 2011
slclick said:
I've used that Kirk 1" clamp setup for a while now and it was my goto but when I got the M5 and the Magpul for the QD, that system blew my mind and I'd love it on all my cameras. I understand it may have to wait for my FF until I get a 5DV.

The same. The QD was such an elegant solution for the M5 that I had to upgrade from the 6D to the 5DIV so I could get the RRS L bracket with QD for both my Mirrorless and SLR BR straps (well there may have been some other considerations....). Before that, I happily used Neuro's 1" Kirk clamp solution, which worked very well (although I think my clamps were not actually Kirk's but knockoffs - never had an issue with them, though).

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
dppaskewitz said:
slclick said:
I've used that Kirk 1" clamp setup for a while now and it was my goto but when I got the M5 and the Magpul for the QD, that system blew my mind and I'd love it on all my cameras. I understand it may have to wait for my FF until I get a 5DV.

The same. The QD was such an elegant solution for the M5 that I had to upgrade from the 6D to the 5DIV so I could get the RRS L bracket with QD for both my Mirrorless and SLR BR straps (well there may have been some other considerations....). Before that, I happily used Neuro's 1" Kirk clamp solution, which worked very well (although I think my clamps were not actually Kirk's but knockoffs - never had an issue with them, though).

At the time the 1" clamps seemed svelte but after using the QD they now seem quite bulky.

Upvote 0