R5 EVF Question

10-8-244

Work, travel, take photographs, repeat
CR Pro
Dec 25, 2015
Nashville, TN
So I hadn't planned on getting the R5, I am still happy with my 5D IV however... CPW had a deal last night on the R5 at $3699 from a US authorized Canon dealer with no tax and free shipping so I pulled the trigger. My question is this, When I look through the EVF on the R5 with a polarizer and LEE ND filter(s) attached will I see the differences as I rotate and move the filter(s) the same as I do using live view with a loupe against the LCD on my 5D IV? Also, what loupe do any of you recommendI on the R5? Thanks in advance.

Jan 29, 2011
So I hadn't planned on getting the R5, I am still happy with my 5D IV however... CPW had a deal last night on the R5 at $3699 from a US authorized Canon dealer with no tax and free shipping so I pulled the trigger. My question is this, When I look through the EVF on the R5 with a polarizer and LEE ND filter(s) attached will I see the differences as I rotate and move the filter(s) the same as I do using live view with a loupe against the LCD on my 5D IV? Also, what loupe do any of you recommendI on the R5? Thanks in advance.
Yes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
PBD answered your first question... however for the second, why use a Loupe on the R5?

I may be a bit naïve here but isn't there pretty much only a few reasons to use one?
1. To help focus (if the resolution of the back LCD is better than the viewfinder).
2. To use a DSLR like a Mirrorless (very oversimplified).
3. Because you like the ergonomics of it.
4. You have no need for touch screen functions.

Now my take...
1. Viewfinder is 5.76 million dots, LCD is 2.1 million dots (divide dots by 3 to get MP). So this would be a hard pass if trying to do for focusing.
2. Doesn't apply
3. Personal opinion
4. This is a hard pass for me

Honorable mention... the EVF has a higher refresh rate.

Upvote 0

10-8-244

Work, travel, take photographs, repeat
CR Pro
Dec 25, 2015
Nashville, TN
PBD answered your first question... however for the second, why use a Loupe on the R5?

I may be a bit naïve here but isn't there pretty much only a few reasons to use one?
1. To help focus (if the resolution of the back LCD is better than the viewfinder).
2. To use a DSLR like a Mirrorless (very oversimplified).
3. Because you like the ergonomics of it.
4. You have no need for touch screen functions.

Now my take...
1. Viewfinder is 5.76 million dots, LCD is 2.1 million dots (divide dots by 3 to get MP). So this would be a hard pass if trying to do for focusing.
2. Doesn't apply
3. Personal opinion
4. This is a hard pass for me

Honorable mention... the EVF has a higher refresh rate.
Habit and as I've aged, I find it easier on my eyes to zoom in on the LCD while using a loupe and make minor focus, composition, and leveling adjustments when shooting manual focus on a tripod. Also, in bright conditions it allows me to see the subtle changes on the rear LCD when rotating or moving a polarizer and/or ND grad easier while in live view than looking at the rear LCD alone. I also like using it to review my photographs to see if I need to make any additional adjustments before moving along. However, I am really looking forward to using the EVF on the R5 to see if I can do away with the extra equipment, weight and hassle. But my favorite use for the loupe is reviewing photos at the end of a long day traveling, exploring and photographing the world when my eyes are tired and can't focus so well on the rear LCD.

Upvote 0