R5 Focus point randomly moves

I took my new R5 out to the botanic garden to take some pictures of flowers. I was wearing the camera around my neck. The touch screen was closed and I used the viewfinder the whole time. The camera was turned on and went to sleep at time. The problem was that the focus point would randomly move to either the upper right or left-hand side of the viewfinder screen when I would try to take a picture. I would reset it to the center and the problem would reoccur after walking around a while. I have the latest firmware in the camera. Does anyone have an idea what’s going on?

Thanks,
Phil

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Is it possible that as you were taking photos, your camera was switching between portrait and landscape mode? There is a setting about making the focus point move to the corresponding position when you go from portrait to landscape.
My R5 sometimes gets confused between portrait and landscape when I bend down to take flower photos.

Autofocus Menu 4

Orientation linked AF point

You can set separate AF points or Zone AF frames to use in vertical and horizontal shooting.

Same for both vert/horiz

The same AF points or Zone AF frames are used in both vertical and horizontal shooting.

• Separate AF pts: Pt only
    Separate AF points or Zone AF frames can be set for each camera orientation ((1) Horizontal, (2) Vertical with the camera grip up, (3) Vertical with the camera grip down). Useful when switching to other AF points or Zone AF frames automatically based on camera orientation.
    AF points or Zone AF frames you assign to each of the three camera orientations are retained.
Caution
  • The default setting of [Same for both vert/horiz] is restored if you select [Basic settings] in [
    Set-up
    : Reset camera] (). Settings for orientations (1)–(3) are cleared, and the camera is set to use the center AF point in 1-point AF.
  • The setting may be cleared if you switch lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
it sounds to me like you have starting points set for landscape and portrait, these are sticky and the camera will revert to them whenever you change orientation regardless of where you move the AF point to.

As FrenchFry says you need to go into your menu and reset the AF point orientation change.
I set them to the same for portrait and landscape. They were in the middle of the screen after taking a few pictures in both orientations. I turned the camera off. When I turtned the camera back on after an hour, the focus point box was in the upper left-hand corned of the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I set them to the same for portrait and landscape. They were in the middle of the screen after taking a few pictures in both orientations. I turned the camera off. When I turtned the camera back on after an hour, the focus point box was in the upper left-hand corned of the viewfinder.
I think we might be talking across each other. It doesn't matter where you move them to they will go back the the set start positions, it sounds to me like you have set them by accident in the upper left hand corner. Whenever you restart the camera they will start from there.

To reset the start point either reset the camera as FrenchFry said

Caution
  • The default setting of [Same for both vert/horiz] is restored if you select [Basic settings] in [
    Set-up

: Reset camera] (). Settings for orientations (1)–(3) are cleared, and the camera is set to use the center AF point in 1-point AF.
  • The setting may be cleared if you switch lenses.
Or reset your 'starting point'. To do that you have to go deep in the menu and reregister your 'starting point' NOT just move the AF point.

Or set 'Initial Servo AF point' to 'Auto'.

Upvote 0

Georgie Uris

Photographer and director based in Mexico city
Apr 7, 2023
www.georgieuris.com
I bough canon R5C so recently that today i put myself with the menu of photo. I had exactly the same problem you describe. The solution? you wont believe this :)
After deactivating one by one all the AF features I realiza that what was causing the problem was ...MY NOSE. As you hear it.
Let me explain. In the AF menu, section 1. the very last option is "Touch & Drag AF Setting". While this feature is activate, it means that you can point with your finger in the LCD screen where you want the focus point to be. BUT also if you happen to take photos ( as I always do) looking through the viewfinder, when my eye was reaching the viewfinder i could see how the focus point was moving randomly because my nose was touching the screen and moving the focus point around. I am telling you, i was getting mad. the momento i deactivate that feature and the problem stop, I figure out the nose problem.
Hope this helps for future R5C users.
kind regards,
@georgie.uris

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I bough canon R5C so recently that today i put myself with the menu of photo. I had exactly the same problem you describe. The solution? you wont believe this :)
After deactivating one by one all the AF features I realiza that what was causing the problem was ...MY NOSE. As you hear it.
Let me explain. In the AF menu, section 1. the very last option is "Touch & Drag AF Setting". While this feature is activate, it means that you can point with your finger in the LCD screen where you want the focus point to be. BUT also if you happen to take photos ( as I always do) looking through the viewfinder, when my eye was reaching the viewfinder i could see how the focus point was moving randomly because my nose was touching the screen and moving the focus point around. I am telling you, i was getting mad. the momento i deactivate that feature and the problem stop, I figure out the nose problem.
Hope this helps for future R5C users.
kind regards,
@georgie.uris
The "touch & drag AF setting" was the first EOS R feature I deactivated, having experienced the same phenomenon. I guess left-eye shooters are having far more issues than the right-"eyers"...:)
PS: I've now programmed the "Mode" button to switch it back on for some specific uses

Last edited:
Upvote 0