R5 Grip extension

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I find the R5 because of my long thumb to be very uncomfortable with my little finger grasping at nothing below the grip. This is a bigger problem with long lenses. I've just noticed this and wonder if anyone has bought it or knows of better or similar alternatives. I don't want the battery grip and simply carry a couple extra batteries.

Jack

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Same "pinkie in the air" issue here...
I once bought from "Meike" such an extension for my EOS R.
The problem was that the weather resistance was diminished, since the battery-trap had to be reinstalled on the extension, but otherwise, it was o.k.
It seems in this case the door remains in place. I think I'm going to chance a purchase since the grip problem of a small camera is a pretty tiring issue for me. I could see a small handed person wondering what the issue is. Size and AF are making me begin to think about a future R1. I notice a distinct difference having given up my 1DX2.

Jack

Upvote 0
You probably noted that it's 3D printed. Take a good look how it is made - if you can see distinct layers, they it's probably done with a "sausage-printer" filament (like the Prusa's) and those prints can split between the layers.

If there doesn't seem to be distinct layers, then it is more likely to be SLA or SLS, which are stronger in the vertical direction.

Looking at the etsy page, it looks like it's done with a filament printer like the Prusa.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
You probably noted that it's 3D printed. Take a good look how it is made - if you can see distinct layers, they it's probably done with a "sausage-printer" filament (like the Prusa's) and those prints can split between the layers.

If there doesn't seem to be distinct layers, then it is more likely to be SLA or SLS, which are stronger in the vertical direction.

Looking at the etsy page, it looks like it's done with a filament printer like the Prusa.
It's ordered so the worst case is I wasted $55 but the fellow seems pretty confident in it and is using one on his R5 also. Probably 80% of my shooting is with the 400 DO II (sometimes on a gimbal). Otherwise this attachment will have to be put on and taken off but for a light lens the way he tied into the original tripod mount makes it reasonably strong (my guess).

Jack

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I thought I'd report that I received my grip extension and although I haven't been shooting enough to judge its comfort, it does seem to be well made. It does not obstruct the battery door and it has a pin that matches the Canon body so it can't rotate and it also extends the tripod mount so as to be still strong enough if using lighter lenses.

Time will tell if I find it to be comfortable, but not having it while shooting the 400 DO II is certainly not comfortable.

No issues with the vendor - he's a nice guy.

Jack

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I thought I'd report that I received my grip extension and although I haven't been shooting enough to judge its comfort, it does seem to be well made. It does not obstruct the battery door and it has a pin that matches the Canon body so it can't rotate and it also extends the tripod mount so as to be still strong enough if using lighter lenses.

Time will tell if I find it to be comfortable, but not having it while shooting the 400 DO II is certainly not comfortable.

No issues with the vendor - he's a nice guy.

Jack
Now that I've used it a little more I have to say it's not as comfortable as I would prefer but I don't regret the purchase and have been interacting with the vendor to see if he can improve on the design. The issue/challenge is, having the battery accessible forces an undesirable shape where the little finger resides - a square corner that I plan to see if I can build up with some epoxy putty of similar. Still, it's a lot better than without IMHO.

Jack

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Will we see third party battery grips for the R5?
I have no idea but for me the issue is simply having a grip extension that allows the little finger to contribute, for comfort and ease of holding larger lenses. Without this particular grip my little finger curls under the grip and it is quite apparent just how much that finger contributes to grip support in general - it is very helpful. There are quite a few logistical issues when one examines the challenge of a non-battery grip such as battery access and stability of the camera when it is laid down on a counter. We need some creative thinkers attacking this issue. I'm still happier with this particular extension than without.

Jack

Upvote 0