R5 has very noticeable clunk/rattle when the camera is off

Kit Lens Jockey

EOS R
CR Pro
Nov 12, 2016
Anybody else gotten an R5 yet and noticed a very noticeable clunk or rattle when the camera is moved or shaken when the camera is off? It's much less noticeable when the camera is on. I assume it's related to the IBIS. But wow, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Sounds like something is just loose inside the camera. Does not seem to be any different if I turn off the IBIS and then turn off the camera.

Otherwise very happy with the camera after just playing around with it for a few minutes. But that rattle will take some getting used to. :oops:

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
I sounds both normal and quite unsettling for sure... I was going to suggest turning IBIS off first, like with lenses, but you already tried that. Will be interesting to hear others experience.

Congrats on your new camera (y)

Kit Lens Jockey

EOS R
CR Pro
Nov 12, 2016
Thanks, pretty pleased so far, but really have barely had a chance to play around with it. First things I've noticed is that it does feel noticeably bigger to hold than the EOS R. Also just feels a lot more "premium." The shutter noise is much quieter than the R too.

Reactions: Viggo

Viggo

EOS R5
Dec 13, 2010
This has been in all the previews I've read, Canon has responded that its the IBIS and its normal.
So it can actually take a real bump to the camera with the IBIS loose inside without issues? I’m thinking a human with and without seatbelt in an accident , but perhaps it’s not comparable ...

Reactions: SecureGSM

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
So it can actually take a real bump to the camera with the IBIS loose inside without issues? I’m thinking a human with and without seatbelt in an accident , but perhaps it’s not comparable ...
Canon tests their designs pretty rigorously, they test shock, vibration, hot and cold, so I'd expect that its not a issue. I've seen one patent for the IBIS, it looked pretty sturdy, but a patent does not reveal how strong it actually is.

I decided to go ahead and order a R5, it may not arrive until Christmas though. That's no big deal.

BigAntTVProductions

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
Anybody else gotten an R5 yet and noticed a very noticeable clunk or rattle when the camera is moved or shaken when the camera is off? It's much less noticeable when the camera is on. I assume it's related to the IBIS. But wow, that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Sounds like something is just loose inside the camera. Does not seem to be any different if I turn off the IBIS and then turn off the camera.

Otherwise very happy with the camera after just playing around with it for a few minutes. But that rattle will take some getting used to. :oops:
TESTED MINE HERE IN NYC TODAY AND HEARD AND FELT THE SHAKE/RATTLE
yess is kinda freaks me out but i have baby'ed the camera since i got it THURS AM and used an adapted 50mm stm lens and old 24-70 F2.8 EF lens and now today used my new RF 24-70 F2.8 lens with IS on street bball testing the SERVO AF had more keeper then i could remember shooting bball before
but that SHAKE/RATTLE IS IT REALLY NORMAL