R5 Metering linked to focus point

Good day everyone. I've been in a discussion on another thread about R5 metering following the focus point. I had said this is one feature I would like to see in the new update. I have been all through the detailed manual and can find nothing on it. David Oliveira sends me this response saying that in evaluative mode "If you use evaluative metering instead of spot metering, the exposure will vary according to the location of the focus point." Is there anything to this and if so where can this be found in the manual pdf? Is this true or not? My understanding is that it is not.

Jul 21, 2010
For Canon DLSRs/MILCs, AF point-linked spot metering has so far been reserved for the 1-series bodies only. My 1D X had it, I used it frequently. The R5 does not have it, nor does my R3.

Having said that, with evaluative metering the exposure is weighted toward the selected AF point, although because it's evaluative metering, the camera is evaluating the whole scene to determine the exposure. It's better than using center weighted or center spot for an off-center subject, but it's not the same as AF point-linked spot metering.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Metering doesn’t ‘follow’ the AF point with evaluative metering. But the overall scene metering is weighted toward the active AF point.

This is easy to confirm yourself. Find a scene that’s half bright and half dim (e.g., stand in a room with the lights on facing the doorway to a dimly lit/dark room). Using evaluative metering, hold the camera steady and move the AF point from bright to dark and back. You’ll see the exposure change as you do (try with just one side of the triangle on auto, e.g., ISO, or in full manual you’ll see the exposure meter indicator move).

But as I said, it’s not spot metering. In the above scenario, you may see the metered setting change by 1-2 stops, whereas if you meter the two areas separately with spot metering the difference may be 4-5 stops. Evaluative will always try to expose for the whole scene. Spot metering will, for example, properly expose for the dark half and blow out the light half. If that’s your goal, you’d need to spot meter with the center of the frame and use AE Lock or manually set the spot-metered exposure, then recompose, focus and take the shot.

Or wait for the R1, which will most likely have AF point-linked spot metering (or buy a 1-series DSLR since they already have that capability).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0