R5, R6, 5D4, 1DX3 Low Light Tests

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Did the guy actually use auto shutter speeds for a low light comparison? I just skimmed through the thing, but that's the impression I got.

If it is true, it renders any comparison entirely useless. Noise is almost exclusively dependent on the amount of light gathered. If you vary the most important variable, you can't make a comparison. Especially since the relationship between noise and light is not linear.

Edit: He actually did. GG

"I decided to set each camera to aperture priority mode [...]"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
For those actually interested in how these bodies compare:

As is to be expected, the R6, 1DX III and R5 slightly beat the 5D IV in terms of low light noise. But those three among themselves are virtually the same. Or in other words, the R5 is the best one, as it has the same amount of noise as the 20 MP cameras when viewing at the same magnification and allows you to gather more detail when you enlarge further.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
He was probably using lightroom or ACR... the Adobe Raw conversion has a known bug where images appear underexposed by half a stop or so on the R5
Oh, and while we are still at it: Have you noticed a weird magenta like tint in the zigzag like pattern on the helmet, top left corner of R5 closeup images in the review? 5D4, 1Dx3, R6 images do not exhibit this issue. Bizarre...o_O

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I'm surprised that a photographer with Jeff Cable's experience didn't have better control over his comparisons.

More interesting are his observations of how the exposure metering varied between models, but now I'm wondering if he had proper control of his lighting!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

ethanz

1DX II
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2016
ethanzentz.com
I'm surprised that a photographer with Jeff Cable's experience didn't have better control over his comparisons.

More interesting are his observations of how the exposure metering varied between models, but now I'm wondering if he had proper control of his lighting!

Yes it is, but maybe he knows more how to use cameras than how to pixel peep and DRone about cameras ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0