R5 w/ 400mm f/4 DO IS II ?

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Has anyone shot the 400 DO II w/ the R5? I'm considering getting a used one and wanted to know if their were any issues and if you'd recommend using it? Especially any info on performance w/ TC's. I'd appreciate any advice. I wanted something easier to handle than my 500mm F4, for birds in flight and sports.
There is discussion on fredmiranda about this. From my own experience of this lens on the 5DSR and the comments on the FM site, it's great at 400mm and almost as good at 560mm. Putting the 2xTC is not so good with the high resolution sensors and one person has reported AF problems. I sold my one and probably will not replace it with a used one for my R5 as I think I'll probably go for the 100-500mm.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thank you. I really appreciated it. I rented the 100-500mm and it's a super nice lens especially being able to focus so close but 7.1 at the long end was just a bit on the slow side for me and there's such a massive price jump from the DO to L 400/500's. The 100-500 will definitely be my next RF lens, though, it's so light and easy to handle and the focus is crazy fast.

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
I haven't tried the lens with TC with the R5 much, but it works great as a bare lens with the R5. For the first time, I was successful in getting hummingbirds with that combo. The following picture is cropped down to ~11MP but it still shows a good amount of detail.

Attachments

• 20200818_male_ruby-throated_hummingbird_090-2.JPG
    20200818_male_ruby-throated_hummingbird_090-2.JPG
    273.9 KB · Views: 224
Upvote 0
I haven't tried the lens with TC with the R5 much, but it works great as a bare lens with the R5. For the first time, I was successful in getting hummingbirds with that combo. The following picture is cropped down to ~11MP but it still shows a good amount of detail.

That looks great! I might rent one for a weekend and try it out. It just seems to be a good fit for me cost/focal length wise.

Upvote 0