RAW Photo in DNG...between apps staying DNG. Is it still RAW?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
HI all,

I'm trying to understand the relationship between RAW and DNG files.

Let's say I have a camera that the RAW files come out as DNG files (ok, it's not a canon camera).

Now, let's say this image is an anamorphic one....I bring it into an editor that will allow me to de-squeeze it to the proper aspect ratio, and export that out as a DNG file.

If I then bring that file back into a RAW editor, like Capture One for example....would I still be editing that image like a RAW image, giving me the full breadth of color, luminance, etc that it would if I'd brought the original DNG file out of the camera into C1 and began working color, etc?

I know DNG is more or less a container....so, when does what it contain stop being a RAW image?

Thank you in advance!!

cayenne

Mar 25, 2011
A partial answer is that it depends on the flavor of your DNG file.

Obviously, native DNG files from a camera can be 100% raw.

If you convert a raw file and choose the flavor of DNG that includes the original raw file in its container then you can be reasonably sure that it is unchanged.

That leaves the DNG file type called linear. I believe that it is not as capable as the original camera raw file.

This is a fairly extensive writeup explaining how DNG works. Myself, I believe that there is always a possibility of something being inadvertently lost during the conversion process.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0