Really Right Stuff - Should I shoot?

Feb 15, 2015
JPAZ said:
... After this purchase, it might seem petty but I did not want to pay another $85 for a tripod bag/case. Anyone out there have suggestions for this? The diameter of the legs and base is 5.5" at the largest and the folded length without the leveling base or head is 21.5" (about 20.5" without the feet). Whe I do travel by air, I'll likely leave the bag at home and put the legs into my luggage.

I never understood the tripod bag. So what if it gets some scrapes? I just strap it to the outside of my backpack when going out. When traveling, the tripod is in the suitcase, with head taken off. At the most, I'd put a small padded bag over the head, but the legs are showing marks of actual use.
With all my CF legs, I've never used a bag, and they have been around the globe. Never had anything happen where I think a bag would have prevented it. The RRS legs come with a thin "sock", but it's just adding to the landfill. Rather disappointing.
my 2c.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Zeidora said:
I never understood the tripod bag......

For the most part, I'd agree with you on this. But, I store my legs in a tripod bag (my present travel CF Redged came with one) with the head attached. They are sitting on a closet shelf and when I want to use them, I just grab and go. For actual travel the bag stays home and the legs go in the luggage. I'll wait until I have the new toy for a while but am thinking about this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222469-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_100_PSTC_100_Tripod_Case.html

or this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222478-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_200_PSTC_200_Tripod_Case.html

Upvote 0
JPAZ said:
Zeidora said:

For the most part, I'd agree with you on this. But, I store my legs in a tripod bag (my present travel CF Redged came with one) with the head attached. They are sitting on a closet shelf and when I want to use them, I just grab and go. For actual travel the bag stays home and the legs go in the luggage. I'll wait until I have the new toy for a while but am thinking about this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222469-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_100_PSTC_100_Tripod_Case.html

or this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/222478-REG/Hakuba_PSTC_200_PSTC_200_Tripod_Case.html

Got a RRS tripod bag in like new condition off Ebay and it's big enough for me to stuff a tripod and a monopod in there or a tripod and a mic stand when doing video. For checked luggage, I agree that it's easier to put in the suitcase, but for car travel with the family, I find it easier to sling the bag over the shoulder rather than strapping it to and taking it off a backpack style camera bag when packing/unpacking the car.

Upvote 0

brad-man

Semi-Reactive Member
Jun 6, 2012
S Florida
JPAZ said:
Zeidora said:

or this:

I have owned both of these bags and they are very well made for the money. I still have the 100 as it is the only bag I could find that was wide enough to accept my Gitzo 2541 Explorer (this is the pod with an articulating and offset column) without excessive length. As noted, they are quite wide, so if you are going to transport only a tripod, they are probably wider than you need.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Wow!!

Just opened the box. The legs are a little heavier than I imagined but impressive. It is dark outside so I installed the leveling base and my gimbal. Needless to say, I need to stand on my toes to see the LCD liveview with the legs fully extended (just wanted to see how that fared). Just shot some HDR's and some long exposures of a vase on a shelf at 400mm; f/5; iso 50; in limited existing light. The legs and equipment certainly live up to their marketing.

So I can't wait to use these for real. Just ordered the Hakuba PST100 case.

Thanks again for the collective wisdom of all here at CR. Just not looking forward to the credit card statement :)

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Brief follow up........

Did some 25 minute exposures and these legs are more stable than the mountains I saw! My Markins head on a dovetail with a leveling base and a lever clamp lets me change from the ball head to my gimbal in seconds. I am totally hooked! Now, my travel tripod (Redged TSC-424w) has lost all of it's appeal. I have been spoiled. I am really thinking about getting a new travel tripod and the TQC-14 is on the short list (along with Feisol 3441s, MeFoto Globetrotter, 3LT and Sirui T-2205x).

So, if G.A.S. involves tripods, do I now have L.A.S. (Leg Acquisition Syndrome)?

This is crazy.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
JPAZ said:
Argghhhh!

Ordered the TQC-14. Will use a Markins head. After all, I need to be reasonable!

;) ::) ;D

TQC-14 was out of stock when I ordered. So I kept looking and decided the updated Gitzo Traveler (GT1545T)was going to work better for me. About three inches taller (w/o center column) and no tool needed to remove or replace the center column. I'm sticking with the BH-30 head, though, as I have the BH-55 and am now completely dependent on the quality and ease of use.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Ok, my turn to say Arrgghhh!

Now I'm reconsidering the TQC-14 after learning the Gitzo 1545t has no intermediate click-stops for the legs. It's either fully upright or 70 degrees down--and that's as low as it goes, meaning my camera will be a good foot off the ground for macro.

I have a full size Gitzo and tend to use the intermediate click-stop a lot to go lower than fully upright but not all the way down. That might not be the case with a little traveler, of course, but the RRS does have the in-between stop...

Upvote 0
I have never used a RRS tripod, leveling base, or quick columns. However, I have three Gitzos (1, 2, and 3 series) and I have a Acratech leveling base, so I have some experience trying different configurations that may be useful to you.

JPAZ said:
-Or, how much impact does a Quick Column have on the stbility and how much height would that give me?
Generally speaking, you will get the most stability from a head mounted to a solid base (no column) like you have with the TVC-24. If you add a column (or possibly the leveling base), this creates some give. If you extend the column up, this creates more give. How it impacts your photography depends on the conditions. If there is no wind, it should have less impact. If there is wind, or the column vibrates, it will be a weak point. I have done bird in flight shots with my old 500L on my 2-series Gitzo (which has a column) and I have gotten great shots. It really comes down to the conditions and your technique.

JPAZ said:
-I a convinced that RRS is one of a small number of quality leg companies to even consider. Any thoughts about a Gitzo or CFM or any other company equivalent?
Gitzos are great quality tripods. My 3-series (GT-3542LS) is probably a little bit more robust than the TVC-24, as it is rated to hold more weight (55 lbs vs. 40 lbs). Fully extended, it is high enough for a person a little taller than 6' which means it is a good match to your height. My 1-series and 2-series are a lot shorter and are only an okay match if you raise their columns.

The GT-3542LS is short enough to barely fit diagonally in a domestic-compliant carry-on suitcase. That said, it takes up quite a bit of space in the bag. The GT-3542LS closed length (23") is bigger than the TVC-24 (19.1"). My 2-series (GT-2542T) folds up to 17" and will fit in an international-compliant carry-on suitcase or a medium backpack.

In moderate wind, the 2-series is fairly stiff and may be sufficient. I would not lift the column. In heavier wind, I would trust the 3-series a lot more because it is really solid and stiff.

Any head on the Acratech leveling base is less stable than a head mounted on the base of the GT-3542LS. Generally, I don't think it would be an issue with most shots. I only noticed this when using a heavy super-telephoto with fast moving BIF shots. The RRS leveling base may be more stable than the Acratech.

When using a gimbal or if you are doing base pans with a ballhead (e.g., for panoramas), the leveling base is super useful. In other scenarios, the leveling base is not very important.

To save weight and minimize gear, you can get creative. Rather than bring a ballhead on a trip, I mounted a clamp to my leveling base and used it as a ballhead. A Wimberley M-8 perpendicular plate can be used with a gimbal to convert it to head, provided you use l-brackets on your cameras.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Just got back from a trip with the TQC-14 / Markins Q3t combo. Not as mountain stable as the TVC-34 but unbelieveably solid given the size and weight. With a 100-400 on the 5diii resting on a hillside having uneven terrain, I still got very acceptable shots with 30 second exposures.

The cost is still painful but I'd recommend these legs to anyone.

Upvote 0