Recommendation for a CP filter

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
There are a number of reviews of various brand CPL filters online.
Breakthrough Photograph's CPL filter always comes out rather favourably.

Here's one example.

I have the Breakthrough 10x ND filter, and love it. Very sharp, colour neutral and very good build quality. It was also less expensive than some other ND filters which performed much worse in the test.

The review that sealed the Breakthrough filter for me was this one.

The good news is that their quality in filters seems to carry across into their CPL filters (even though this is a review of the 'dark' CPL filter - I would expect the same with their normal CPLs)

Best wishes

Paul

Upvote 0
I used to buy a lot of B+W filters, but now I just by Breakthrough going forward. The NDs are a lot more neutral than my B+Ws ever were, and I really like the idea of dark CPLs, which combine the ND and CPL into one filter. The textured rings are also easier to put on/take off. Breakthough used to be available via kickstarter but now are sold through retail channels, so you can deal with a store if you prefer.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AaronT

CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
Here's an article at Lensrenrals on a test he did with various CPL's. It might answer some of your questions.

Upvote 0
I need to replace a CP filter. I routinely use B+W but have tried Signh Ray though they are double + the price of B+W filters. I have also notice breakthrough filter. has anyone compared these and other high quality filters.

Personally I use a heliopan 82mm CPL with step down rings for 77mm and 72mm. I also use their 3, 5 and 9 stop ND's

Upvote 0