Recommendations: Best Streaming Camera/Lens(es) combo? Canon or....?

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Hi all,
I"m looking to getting into streaming over the web, from YouTube starting with, but this rig also would apply to wanting to use Zoom and other group chats.

I have fiddled successfully using OBS for streaming software and have a Yeti Blue mic that. I"ve dusted off for sound and I have some nice Grado headphones.

I'm looking to get a nice interchangeable lens camera and lens.

Are any of the new Canon R mirrorless cameras good candidates? Clean HDMI out? Can you turn off auto power off/timeouts? Which models?

If not the Canon R ....what would be a good 3rd party one?

Last night I experimented. successfully with my gfx100, but that is a big camera, and I'm leaning towards buying something a bit smaller to keep permantely attached....and get a matching one for a friend I"m trying to help with a show, so we can. have matching cameras, etc.

All suggestions, anecdotes and links GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you in advance,
cayenne

Mar 14, 2012
I've used the R (original) for more important zoom calls and the IQ difference between it and the typical webcam is large. A lot of people notice within a few minutes. Because it's on the desk, I tend to use a UWA lens with it. I did have to get a longer cable to hook up to the back of my desktop. I have not yet tried with the R5.

The Canon software that came out last year to support this functionality will limit your resolution, so you'll have to see if it's good enough for you. I swing the touchscreen to the side and select a face for the camera to focus on and it does a good job.

I'm not sure what you mean by auto power off/timeouts. As long as it is on and hooked up to the computer, it'll stay on. I've had zoom calls that lasted 1.5+ plus and didn't have an issue with it turning off.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I've used the R (original) for more important zoom calls and the IQ difference between it and the typical webcam is large. A lot of people notice within a few minutes. Because it's on the desk, I tend to use a UWA lens with it. I did have to get a longer cable to hook up to the back of my desktop. I have not yet tried with the R5.

The Canon software that came out last year to support this functionality will limit your resolution, so you'll have to see if it's good enough for you. I swing the touchscreen to the side and select a face for the camera to focus on and it does a good job.

I'm not sure what you mean by auto power off/timeouts. As long as it is on and hooked up to the computer, it'll stay on. I've had zoom calls that lasted 1.5+ plus and didn't have an issue with it turning off.

I"m looking right now, kinda...between maybe a Canon R, and a Sony A6400....that also looks to be a popular steaming/webcam for quality.

The camera is to be 99.9999% fixed on a stand and dedicated to my streaming needs, so, whatever I get I likely won't be using for stills much ever.

Does the Canon R have any problems with heating when left on for long periods of time?

Since R is full frame, when you mentioned ultra side...are you talking like 24mm or even wider than that?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

Upvote 0
Mar 14, 2012
I"m looking right now, kinda...between maybe a Canon R, and a Sony A6400....that also looks to be a popular steaming/webcam for quality.

The camera is to be 99.9999% fixed on a stand and dedicated to my streaming needs, so, whatever I get I likely won't be using for stills much ever.

Does the Canon R have any problems with heating when left on for long periods of time?

Since R is full frame, when you mentioned ultra side...are you talking like 24mm or even wider than that?

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

I haven't had a problem with the R and overheating, but then I use it for video at room temperature.

I used a UWA lens (15-35) at around 15-18mm, and it's due to how my computer is set up. I have a corner desk, and the monitor is on a raised shelf in the corner. I set the camera in front of the monitor with a V-shaped stereo mic in the hot shoe (cable is connected to the computer and not the camera). So I'm only about 3 ft away from the camera, which is why I'm using the UWA lens when both my wife and I are on a zoom call. The video cable does partially block the touchscreen but it's less blocked on the side than if the camera screen swung up or down (interfere with mic or tripod). I initially started with the camera to the side of the monitor, but I found myself looking at the monitor most often, so that others primarily saw a shot from the side. If I had more space, I would use a longer focal length.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I haven't had a problem with the R and overheating, but then I use it for video at room temperature.

I used a UWA lens (15-35) at around 15-18mm, and it's due to how my computer is set up. I have a corner desk, and the monitor is on a raised shelf in the corner. I set the camera in front of the monitor with a V-shaped stereo mic in the hot shoe (cable is connected to the computer and not the camera). So I'm only about 3 ft away from the camera, which is why I'm using the UWA lens when both my wife and I are on a zoom call. The video cable does partially block the touchscreen but it's less blocked on the side than if the camera screen swung up or down (interfere with mic or tripod). I initially started with the camera to the side of the monitor, but I found myself looking at the monitor most often, so that others primarily saw a shot from the side. If I had more space, I would use a longer focal length.

Ok thank you!!

I might rent a couple of camera/lens combos and test them out!!

I've been looking at some YouTube videos, where they are taking what is basically a teleprompter and rather than just copy to speak to...are integrating their video screen they need to be looking at into the teleprompter which has the camera behind it and that looks to be an interesting solution to keep you looking at your audience.

Here's the YouTube Teleprompter Video

HTH,

cayenne

Upvote 0