Recommended RF Lenses to take on an African Safari

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Dear Colleagues:

I will be on a Southern African Safari this summer and am curious on what combination of RF lenses one would recommend. I am limited in weight due to travel restrictions. In addiiton, I and am recovering from an ankle sprain so depending on how the ankle feels in six months I might want to go lighter as well.

Some combinations I am considering:

Combo 1: (net weight = 12.14 lbs)

1) Canon 24-105 mm f4 1.54 lbs
2) Canon 100-500 mm f4.5-7.1 3.00 lbs
3) Canon 400 mm f2.8 with 1.4x and 2.0x TCs (6.4 lbs + 1.2 lbs)

Advantage: I cover all focal ranges from 24-800 mm so should work well for birds as well as larger mammals.
Disadvantage: Heavy to carry and if using the 400 mm f2.8 I would likely be changing TCs in the field under (very) dusty conditions which is not ideal.

Combo 2: (net weight = 7.8- 8.24 lbs)

1) Canon 24-70 mm f2.8 1.98 lbs or Canon 24-105 mm f4 1.54 lbs)
2) Canon 70-200 mm f2.8 3.26 lbs
3) Canon 100-500 mm f4.5-7.1 3 lbs

Advantages: Significantly lighter than Combo 1 and I have fast glass from 24-200 mm.
Disadvantage: My longest focal length is 500 mm, which will definitely limit photography of smaller animals (e.g. birds). Also not very fast at 500 mm (f7.1).

I currently own two R3 cameras and would like to use both on the trip and am open to renting a smaller camera (R6/R5/R7) if it makes sense and carry it as an addition or as a substitute for one of the R3s.

If anyone on this forum has been to Southern Africa (Botswana, Zambia, Zimbabwe) I would like to hear back from you on which focal lengths were the most useful. Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

I have watched numerous videos on YouTube and honestly it seems that they recommend every lens from 16 mm to 800 mm so. bit of guidance is appreciated.

I am most interested in larger mammals (hippos, giraffes, elephants, etc.), but birds would be nice to photograph as well.

All equipment needs to fit in a GuraGear 30L backpack and ScotteVest QUEST vest with 42 pockets. I think the vest will be good for cables, extra batteries and memory cards.

Thank you,

John

Apr 25, 2011
Based on my limited experience:
* RF 14-35 on the "scenic" body.
* RF 100-500 (or even RF 100-400, if the weight is an issue) on the "subject" body.
* something like Sony RX10 IV as a backup.

Unless you have lots of time to spend staying at one spot (depends on how your safari is organized), I wouldn't bother with exclusively birding lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Our last trip to Tanzania we basically followed Kit's advice. My wife had the 5DSR and 100-400mm II, and I had the 5DIV and EF 400mm DO II + TCs, and the Sony RX10IV. For our next nature trip, my wife will have the R7 + RF 100-400mm. I will take the R5 + RF 100-500mm plus RF 2xTC - I highly recommend you take the TC which will give you the extra length if you need it. The 100-500 is the consummate safari lens as it gives a very useful range for bigger beasts at various distances and good for birds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Thank you both for the replies. I am definitely leaning towards leaving the 400 mm f2.8 at home and taking the 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1 and 24-105 mm f4. Am considering the renting of the R7 body which would provide more pixels on a subject due to the cropped frame. Also the 70-200 mm f2.8 for elephants and larger mammals.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Updated list for the summer safari:

Dear Colleagues:

For my safari this summer I have definitely decided to take two lens: RF 24-105 mm f4 L and the RF 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1 along with two FF camera bodies. I will also take the RF 1.4x TC although I do not plan to switching out TCs frequently due to dusty conditions.

I am still undecided on whether or not I should take the the 70-200 mm f2.8 lens.

My thoughts are that it would be my brightest lens and best at sunrise and sunsets. I have also heard from various YouTube that the 70-200 mm is considered the elephant lens. With that said, it is redundant in focal length and adds an additional 2.75 lbs to my luggage.

Any advice on the 700-200 mm f2.8? Please advise.

Thank you,

John

Upvote 0

Chiphadzuwa

Eyes of Other Souls
Apr 22, 2023
Hi John1970,

I've been to Botswana (Chobe River, Chobe NP, Savute Channel, Moremi Game Reserve, Nxabega Concession, and other points in the Okavango). I've also been to Zambia twice (South Luangwa and Kafue NPs). My 100-400 is my most-used lens but I get my best shots with 500mm f/4. Love having the 24-105 along but even when the lions are feasting in front of me or resting next to the Landcruiser, I don't use that focal length nearly as much as the longer lenses. I don't take my 70-200, and I've never really missed it. (Don't know why some call it the elephant lens, but then I wouldn't since I don't take one.) When the game is that close, it usually seems to be right up against the bushes and I don't think there's typically enough separation from the background to get much bokeh anyway. When the game is farther, f/4 gives good results. I've taken my1.4x tele, but I don't actually use it. I shoot mammals and reptiles mostly, and I don't usually like swapping lenses in the field. I have my 5D IV and 7D II set up identically and use them both in the field. (But it creates duplicate file names on different images sometimes -- PITA.)
The small aircraft have tight safety requirements on baggage weights, sizes, soft-sides, and numbers. (Getting lift can be difficult in the African heat.) I have a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L like you, and it's also the perfect pack for safaris (I've used a lot of others in the past). It'll meet the size requirements for even the smallest planes, but it'll hold more than you wanna carry! If you haven't purchased yours yet, the new 30L+ is even better, because it does have a notebook compartment (vs. the 30L). Wish I had it. If you aren't planning on putting your ancillary camera gear in a duffel with your clothes, the Gura Gear Chobe 13 is a great little personal item bag and it'll fit under the seats easily on your transatlantic flights (but not easily on regional airlines, and not at all in the bush planes.) I do wish I'd purchased the Chobe 16L instead, though.
Somebody recommended you try to safari in a landrover or landcruiser, instead of a van. In my Zambia and Botswana travels, I've only seen (and been in) rovers and cruisers so you probably don't need to worry about that.
I'd strongly recommend leaving your tripod at home. I don't even take a monopod, although I would if I wasn't already maxed out with my 500mm. Instead, when I'm out of the rig, I prefer to shoot from ground-level anyway.
I hope this helps some. I've sent you a personal response too (I'm new on the CR forums, sorry). You might check that info too; and you are welcome to reply with questions if you think I can be of help.
I hope your safari is a fantastic trip. Best regards --
--Chips

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Hi John1970,

I've been to Botswana (Chobe River, Chobe NP, Savute Channel, Moremi Game Reserve, Nxabega Concession, and other points in the Okavango). I've also been to Zambia twice (South Luangwa and Kafue NPs). My 100-400 is my most-used lens but I get my best shots with 500mm f/4. Love having the 24-105 along but even when the lions are feasting in front of me or resting next to the Landcruiser, I don't use that focal length nearly as much as the longer lenses. I don't take my 70-200, and I've never really missed it. (Don't know why some call it the elephant lens, but then I wouldn't since I don't take one.) When the game is that close, it usually seems to be right up against the bushes and I don't think there's typically enough separation from the background to get much bokeh anyway. When the game is farther, f/4 gives good results. I've taken my1.4x tele, but I don't actually use it. I shoot mammals and reptiles mostly, and I don't usually like swapping lenses in the field. I have my 5D IV and 7D II set up identically and use them both in the field. (But it creates duplicate file names on different images sometimes -- PITA.)
The small aircraft have tight safety requirements on baggage weights, sizes, soft-sides, and numbers. (Getting lift can be difficult in the African heat.) I have a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L like you, and it's also the perfect pack for safaris (I've used a lot of others in the past). It'll meet the size requirements for even the smallest planes, but it'll hold more than you wanna carry! If you haven't purchased yours yet, the new 30L+ is even better, because it does have a notebook compartment (vs. the 30L). Wish I had it. If you aren't planning on putting your ancillary camera gear in a duffel with your clothes, the Gura Gear Chobe 13 is a great little personal item bag and it'll fit under the seats easily on your transatlantic flights (but not easily on regional airlines, and not at all in the bush planes.) I do wish I'd purchased the Chobe 16L instead, though.
Somebody recommended you try to safari in a landrover or landcruiser, instead of a van. In my Zambia and Botswana travels, I've only seen (and been in) rovers and cruisers so you probably don't need to worry about that.
I'd strongly recommend leaving your tripod at home. I don't even take a monopod, although I would if I wasn't already maxed out with my 500mm. Instead, when I'm out of the rig, I prefer to shoot from ground-level anyway.
I hope this helps some. I've sent you a personal response too (I'm new on the CR forums, sorry). You might check that info too; and you are welcome to reply with questions if you think I can be of help.
I hope your safari is a fantastic trip. Best regards --
--Chips
Hi Chips,

Thank you for the very detailed reply. Based on the reality of what I need to pack and bring with me.

The final decision is: Camera One: R3 + 24-105 mm f4 L. Camera Two: R3 + 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1 L

Seriously, considered a longer lens, but with 40 lb weight limit I am already pushing my luck. I have the newly released RF 100-300 mm f2.8 on order, but I will take that lens to Alaska where the weight requirements are more generous at 50 lbs.

I also order a Gura Gear 30L+ with the laptop sleeve built in. For Africa I am only taking a 11" iPad Pro, but I can use the excess space for other flat items like N95 masks etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chiphadzuwa

Eyes of Other Souls
Apr 22, 2023
Hi Chips,

Thank you for the very detailed reply. Based on the reality of what I need to pack and bring with me.

The final decision is: Camera One: R3 + 24-105 mm f4 L. Camera Two: R3 + 100-500 mm f4.5-f7.1 L

Seriously, considered a longer lens, but with 40 lb weight limit I am already pushing my luck. I have the newly released RF 100-300 mm f2.8 on order, but I will take that lens to Alaska where the weight requirements are more generous at 50 lbs.

I also order a Gura Gear 30L+ with the laptop sleeve built in. For Africa I am only taking a 11" iPad Pro, but I can use the excess space for other flat items like N95 masks etc.
Sounds great, John1970. You're gonna love it, I'm sure! (It's why I keep going back!) Fantastic combination of cameras and lenses for any safari! And have a great time in Alaska, too. Say hello to Denali for me if you get there -- it's my old home.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I was able to upgrade weight limits on all my bush flights so I am going with two cameras and two lenses:

Camera One: R3 + RF 24-105 mm f4
Camera Two: R3+1.4x TC+ RF 100-300 mm f2.8 which provides a 140-420 mm f4 zoom.

I will also be taking the 2x TC so when needed I can also have access to 420-600 mm f5.6.

This is a once in a lifetime trip and I wanted the fastest glass possible. F4 is plenty fast for outdoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Does South Africa Airways or Airlinks weigh carry on luggage?

Hi Everyone,

I am traveling to South Africa this summer and two of my connecting flights are on South Africa Airways or Airlinks. While both of my carryons meet the dimensional requirements because they contain photography gear both are over the 8 kg weight limit.

I am flying business class which allows for two pieces of carry on luggage each weighing 8 kg/ea for a total of 16 kg (35 lb.) combined mass.

My first carry-on is a backpack that contains all essentials (toiletries, sat phone, medication, chargers, one day of clothes) along with two camera bodies and a small lens. Total weight is 11 kg (24 lbs).

My second carry-on is a International size wheel case that only contains additional clothes and a nylon gym sack contain my one larger lens (RF 100-300 mm f2.8). Total weight is 10 kg (22 lbs). The weight of the lens with the nylon gym sack is 7 lbs.

WCS I think I can bring the backpack at 24 lbs plus the nylon gym sack at 7 lbs onto the plane with a combined weight of 31 lbs, which is still less than the 35 lb maximum.

Do others here agree? Any advice for the traveling photographer?

Thank you,

John

Upvote 0