Recovered my love for photography -- want advice!

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Hi people! When I was a kid I decided I wanted to be a photographer, started studying, but then switched to filming. I've been working in the film industry for over a decade, and last year on a trip to Europe I found my love for photography once again -- in the form of landscape and architectural photography.

As I implemented techniques I've known for ages I kept feeling like a newbie on the whole subject... so, please, you're welcome to see, suggest, complain, whatever -- I'm at your mercy!

(all done with a Sony mirrorless camera with its kit lens zoom)

Attachments

• DSC00278.jpg
    DSC00278.jpg
    826.8 KB · Views: 241
  • DSC00962.jpg
    DSC00962.jpg
    877.1 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00754.jpg
    DSC00754.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 238
  • DSC00660.jpg
    DSC00660.jpg
    708.6 KB · Views: 239
  • DSC00632.jpg
    DSC00632.jpg
    953.4 KB · Views: 247
  • DSC00530.jpg
    DSC00530.jpg
    961.1 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC00402.jpg
    DSC00402.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 230
  • DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00366.jpg
    792.8 KB · Views: 236

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Some more

Attachments

• DSC01185.jpg
    DSC01185.jpg
    904.7 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC01172.jpg
    DSC01172.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 231
  • DSC01169.jpg
    DSC01169.jpg
    999.2 KB · Views: 229
  • DSC01151.jpg
    DSC01151.jpg
    789.2 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC01092.jpg
    DSC01092.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 240
  • DSC01085.jpg
    DSC01085.jpg
    684.8 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC00971.jpg
    DSC00971.jpg
    887.1 KB · Views: 228
  • DSC01247.jpg
    DSC01247.jpg
    877.9 KB · Views: 252
Upvote 0
OK, so you took a bunch of photos with Sony gear and would like comments from a Canon Rumors site? I'll bite just to see if it generates more feedback for you. Thoughts on your first set of 8 photos (others will certainly disagree with me I'm sure):
#1. Great grab shot, I'd crop in just a little to cut some edge distractions. Good "street" shot.
#2. I'm not sure the story here? Exposure is fine, I'm missing a focal point.
#3. I'd try a slower shutter speed to get more DOF, bring the foreground into focus?
#4. Nice shot but basically a snapshot
#5. I'd like to see a small amount of fill flash to make the cyclist a touch more recognizable - just a touch.
#6. Nice post card shot - good as is, but I'd like to see different angle of view without the boat in foreground, might be better or might not be?
#7. Good shot
#8. My eye doesn't know where to look - too much going on - needs more of a central focal point.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Over my 60+ years of photography, I've become bored and turned to other interests only to return when newer technology like SLR's. Autofocus, and Digital appeared. I never stopped, but slowed way down. I'm definitely a hardware person.
I'm starting to slow down again after 20 years with digital cameras, and physical ailments, its hard to keep going. Editing thousands of photos after a shoot takes its toll.

I'm glad you have recovered your interest.

Upvote 0

Nick Gombinsky

Workaholic and alcoholic
Apr 27, 2011
Buenos Aires
Thank you all for your comments!

Yeah I understand now that some pics lack context, they may mean something to me and/or others because they were taken on vacation... but if I explain the context, it could be the same as explaining a joke, right?

(as for posting pics taken with a Sony camera in the CR Forums... I used to be a Canon-only user and met here lots of great photographers, I like this community much more than others)

I'll watch my horizons and all the other things you guys mentioned.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Nick Gombinsky said:
Thank you all for your comments!

Yeah I understand now that some pics lack context, they may mean something to me and/or others because they were taken on vacation... but if I explain the context, it could be the same as explaining a joke, right?

(as for posting pics taken with a Sony camera in the CR Forums... I used to be a Canon-only user and met here lots of great photographers, I like this community much more than others)

I'll watch my horizons and all the other things you guys mentioned.

Thanks!

CR has become a photography forum and is not restricted to Canon users. I welcome your photos.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
old-pr-pix said:
OK, so you took a bunch of photos with Sony gear and would like comments from a Canon Rumors site?

Let's not get too stuffy. Photos are photos no matter what brand they were made on. There are many people here, myself included, that own 3rd party gear and ask for feedback on photos taken with 3rd party lenses, flashes, etc. Or even Sony bodies with Canon lenses.

Maybe we should be flattered a Sony guy would come here looking for constructive criticism. :)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Nick Gombinsky said:
Hi people! When I was a kid I decided I wanted to be a photographer, started studying, but then switched to filming. I've been working in the film industry for over a decade, and last year on a trip to Europe I found my love for photography once again -- in the form of landscape and architectural photography.

As I implemented techniques I've known for ages I kept feeling like a newbie on the whole subject... so, please, you're welcome to see, suggest, complain, whatever -- I'm at your mercy!

(all done with a Sony mirrorless camera with its kit lens zoom)

Nice photos. :)

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
old-pr-pix said:
OK, so you took a bunch of photos with Sony gear and would like comments from a Canon Rumors site?

Let's not get too stuffy. Photos are photos no matter what brand they were made on. There are many people here, myself included, that own 3rd party gear and ask for feedback on photos taken with 3rd party lenses, flashes, etc. Or even Sony bodies with Canon lenses.

Maybe we should be flattered a Sony guy would come here looking for constructive criticism. :)

You are right I probably should have added ;) as it was intended to be a joke. I have no problem with 3rd party gear -- I have just as much Olympus mirrorless stuff as I have Canon. What I was trying to do was give the OP some honest feedback that could either spur further discussion, be constructive or be discarded. The OP clearly was hoping for some insight and I felt 'good pictures' wouldn't be much help.

Upvote 0