Redrock Micro talks EOS 5D Mark II & Mad Max

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Redrock Micro has posted an article talking about the use of the EOS 5D Mark II in one of the summer’s best visual treats, George Miller’s Mad Max. If you haven’t seen the movie, go now!</p>
<p>Ten EOS 5D Mark II camera bodies were used by the stunt/action team and the lens of choice was the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II. Redrock Micro were the exclusive rig for all the EOS 5D Mark IIs used in the production</p>
<blockquote><p>For the rigging, we definitely see action cam style – the DSLR camera ops were well prepared to strap in to cars, on towers, pretty much anywhere they wanted a great action insert or angle of view that would otherwise be impractical or too time consuming to setup with an A or B camera (ARRI Alexa with those huge Panavision primo zooms). Rigs from Redrock Micro were exclusively used with the canon 5D MKII to fit this style, each slightly customized to each operator’s liking.</p></blockquote>
<p>Why the EOS 5D Mark II?</p>
<blockquote><p>A number of Canon 5Ds were used as crash cams during the action sequences – as “semi-disposable stunt cameras”. The DSLR was chosen as a proven work-horse crash-cam even though it was released way back in 2008. The 5Ds provide extra cut-away point of view angles during action sequences – the cutaways are so short you don’t notice the changes in image quality</p></blockquote>
<p><strong><a href="http://redrockmicro.blogspot.ca/2015/06/dslr-insider-on-mad-max-fury-road.html#sthash.BPGCCbAA.dpuf" target="_blank">Read the full article</a> | <a href="http://store.redrockmicro.com/fury-rig.html" target="_blank">Redrock Micro Fury Rig</a></strong></p>

Jul 21, 2010
risc32 said:
this is just unacceptable. everyone knows that the 5dmk2 is a has bin, and that the 16-35mm lenses are garbage. This just can't be right.

Yeah, but those producers are just out there in harsh conditions getting the job done, and they don't know any better. It's much easier to criticize gear as outdated and poor if you're sitting comfortably at home in your cave or under a bridge. Someone from here needs to tell those clueless movie producers they'd be much better off using a D810 or an a7S.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dolina said:
I am guessing a 5D Mark II can be bought now for $600 in bulk.

They spent $150,000,000 producing the film. The difference between destroying a couple dozen $600 cameras and a couple dozen $3000 cameras would be 0.04% of the budget. I doubt unit cost was a major factor in the decision.

OTOH, the easy availability of full shooting rigs for the 5DII was probably meaningful.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
dolina said:
I am guessing a 5D Mark II can be bought now for $600 in bulk.

They spent $150,000,000 producing the film. The difference between destroying a couple dozen $600 cameras and a couple dozen $3000 cameras would be 0.04% of the budget. I doubt unit cost was a major factor in the decision.

OTOH, the easy availability of full shooting rigs for the 5DII was probably meaningful.
Not to mention predictability.

Part of the money goes into marketing. ;)

Upvote 0
risc32 said:
this is just unacceptable. everyone knows that the 5dmk2 is a has bin, and that the 16-35mm lenses are garbage. This just can't be right.

They stated the 16-35 2.8 Version 2- much better than the v1. As for the 5D MKII being irrelevant, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Obviously people in serious industry positions think otherwise.

Upvote 0
KateH said:
risc32 said:

They stated the 16-35 2.8 Version 2- much better than the v1. As for the 5D MKII being irrelevant, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Obviously people in serious industry positions think otherwise.
Kate the version 2 came out in 2007 while the 5d2 came out in 2008. I would think it would be difficult to find a version 1 in good condition in quantity.

Upvote 0

LukasS

Yeap
Dec 24, 2014
They originally started with Olympus bodies (due to the in-body stabilizer), but they had a tendency to shut down on impact,overheat, and when they broke they lost the footage as well - See more at: http://redrockmicro.blogspot.ca/2015/06/dslr-insider-on-mad-max-fury-road.html#sthash.BPGCCbAA.2CMPZyUl.dpuf
I've ended up with the same conclusion - my OMD EM-5 overheated with IBIS on, it was good as paper weight for the most part of trip I've been on few months ago. Classic 5D worked like a charm, 3 weeks ago tested on air show 7dII + 100-400 (5hrs in full sun - it was hard to grasp body - too hot too handle and no problem with results).

Upvote 0
Sep 15, 2012
vscd said:
...it seemes the Dynamic Range was sufficient ;) Even for a Blockbuster...

missing this bit "The 5Ds provide extra cut-away point of view angles during action sequences – the cutaways are so short you don’t notice the changes in image quality"

so yea the quality is good enough for scenes that are so short that you wont even notice it

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
emko said:
vscd said:
...it seemes the Dynamic Range was sufficient ;) Even for a Blockbuster...

missing this bit "The 5Ds provide extra cut-away point of view angles during action sequences – the cutaways are so short you don’t notice the changes in image quality"

so yea the quality is good enough for scenes that are so short that you wont even notice it

Good enough for cut-aways when the majority of footage is being shot with camera+lens combos costing well over $100K each, yes.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I bet my bottom dollar the people complaining about the Mk3's are those who spend more time on forums than shooting. Humans like to bitch about things, I get that but this entire culture of acting as if your camera body is obsolete and will not function once the newer model becomes announces is for idiots. 90% of the best photography done in the history of the art was done in film and ages ago at that. Gear is irrelevant. Motivation and perspective is real.

Upvote 0