Replacement for S110

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
My wife's trusty S110 died halfway through our vacation :(
The electronics work fine but the lens won't retract. Probably some sand in there or else it wore out.
We are looking for a replacement.
We liked the size and build of the S110 (pocketable)
We liked the 24-120 mm (equivalent) field-of-view
I liked f/2 at the short end. It worked really well for low light.
Being able to shoot raw is a must. Raw file compatibility with CS6 would be nice.
Suggestions?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Hi AJ!

With these specs and if you're looking for Canon I'd take a look at the
G9 X Mark II (if size matters) or
G7 X Mark II (if you want the best lens)

I cannot say anything about CS6 compatibility.
If you are from the EU it might be interesting that both are in the German Summer cashback promo.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
AJ said:
The electronics work fine but the lens won't retract. Probably some sand in there or else it wore out.
Being able to shoot raw is a must. Raw file compatibility with CS6 would be nice.
Suggestions?

You can use the Adobe DNG converter to convert newer raw files to DNG, which will be compatible with CS6.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/adobe-dng-converter.html

Upvote 0
AJ said:
Suggestions?

Check out if there is a Canon recall (product advisory) on this issue. My S100 had this issue, and I had it happen to me and got it fixed by Canon service for free.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
AJ said:
I'm planning to send in the camera for repair. Canon Canada quoted 150 CAD with their on-line quote system I think I will give that a go. I really like this camera, and for 150 bucks I won't find anything close to this quality.

I had an S95 before I got the S120. I passed it along to a friend after I bought the G7X II and kept the S120 for a back up. The latter fits in my pocket better, even my shirt pocket if I don't have anything else in it. Either camera fits well into a jacket pocket. I can see why you would like the S110 based on my experiences with its siblings.

Upvote 0