Review: Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift by TDP

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<p>The-Digital-Picture has completed their extensive review of the brand new Canon TS-E 90mm f/2.8L Tilt-Shift lens, and as we’ve seen across the web since the latest trip of tilt-shift lenses was announced, this lens is terrific.</p>
<p>In summary:</p>
<blockquote><p>If this lens and its special features are what you need (or you can make it work for your needs), it is a spectacular performer in a well-built package.</p>
<p>A tilt-shift lens can be as easy to use as any manual-focus prime lens. Or, it can be very complex. While simplicity is great, complexity can be a differentiator for your work and a barrier to entry for those wishing to compete. If a photographer has a lens with tilt-shift movements, they can raise the bar on their imagery.</p>
<p>Do you ever find yourself in a photographic rut? Or are you interested in taking your photography skills and imagery to the next step? A tilt-shift lens may be exactly what you need. When the focus plane can be tilted and perspective correction (or the opposite) can be applied, old subjects look new again. <a href="https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-TS-E-90mm-f-2.8L-Tilt-Shift-Macro-Lens.aspx">Read the full review</a></p></blockquote>
<p>I tried to get one for an upcoming Tanzania trip, but I was unable to through the CPS Canada program. So, I’ll be waiting a little while longer to try this impressive lens out.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

correction

It mentions in the review (and I've seen it in another review too) that the TS-E lenses have a hard infinity stop.

They don't, and this is quite deliberate, since being able to focus 'beyond' infinity is an important function in moving the plane of focus.

Simplest example would be wanting to photograph the downward sloping ground in front of you whilst keeping the camera level.

I've used it on the 17mm when photographing walls - not at all often, but it's an important feature when you need it...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Re: correction

keithcooper said:
It mentions in the review (and I've seen it in another review too) that the TS-E lenses have a hard infinity stop.

They don't, and this is quite deliberate, since being able to focus 'beyond' infinity is an important function in moving the plane of focus.

I think by 'infinity and minimum focus distances are hard stops', Bryan simply means that the focus ring has hard stops at the ends of the range, not necessarily exactly at infinity. I do realize that for those of us with substantial experience from the film/manual focus days, 'hard infinity stop' has a different connotation, one that went well with f/8 and be there.

Most lenses focus somewhat beyond infinity, to allow for variations in temperature that affect focusing, and for those shooting with IR-capturing media. Contrast the 'hard stop' with Canon's STM lenses, where the focus fing will simply rotate around and around through the full 360°.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
Most lenses focus somewhat beyond infinity, to allow for variations in temperature that affect focusing, and for those shooting with IR-capturing media. Contrast the 'hard stop' with Canon's STM lenses, where the focus fing will simply rotate around and around through the full 360°.
Bryan did mention that particular trait, just after pointing out the hard stops:

"Most lenses including this one focus past their actual infinity setting to account for needs in extreme temperatures."

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
keithcooper said:

I think by 'infinity and minimum focus distances are hard stops', Bryan simply means that the focus ring has hard stops at the ends of the range, not necessarily exactly at infinity. I do realize that for those of us with substantial experience from the film/manual focus days, 'hard infinity stop' has a different connotation, one that went well with f/8 and be there.

Indeed, but I was questioning the -original text-, what it says now is clearer...

I'm currently testing the TS-E135 and will have plenty of close up detail (but not so many flowers or insects this time of year) - the 90 won't be here though until after I've looked at the 50

Upvote 0