Review of R5 for bird photogaphy

digigal

Traveling the world one step at a time.
CR Pro
Aug 26, 2014
Thanks for posting that, Alan. I look forward to his next video on what tracking modes he used. Went to a Zoom meeting today with a Canon EOL shooter who said he had a 1 hr conversation with one of the guys about setting up the tracking modes. This guy has been working on the R5 for the last 1 year and shooting it over the last year during its development told him that the best mode to use was Auto. I had been using a modified Case 2 since I got mine and was very pleased with the results, but have changed it to Auto to see what that does. We're leaving to shoot bears in Alaska so that will give me something to test although will not be as challenging for the most part as birds.
Catherine

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I have to say, in my limited experience with this camera, between the smooth motion through the EVF, and the advanced AF tracking features, if you can't get good bird photos with the R5, that's not the fault of the camera, that's a "you" problem.

(Yes I know this is a pretty rare species, but I'll never give away my secret birding spots. Also this is a 1:1 crop, so don't get too excited if it seems a little noisy. I only had a 70-200 with me at the time, and I wasn't actually planning to take bird photos, just seeing what the camera would do.)

1R5_0217.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have to say, in my limited experience with this camera, between the smooth motion through the EVF, and the advanced AF tracking features, if you can't get good bird photos with the R5, that's not the fault of the camera, that's a "you" problem.

(Yes I know this is a pretty rare species, but I'll never give away my secret birding spots. Also this is a 1:1 crop, so don't get too excited if it seems a little noisy. I only had a 70-200 with me at the time, and I wasn't actually planning to take bird photos, just seeing what the camera would do.)

View attachment 192107
The bird is 1300 px wingtip to wingtip - I am surprised at the level of noise for an image of that size and colour. What iso were you using and how did you process it?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Again, what iso and was it from RAW?
Yes it was RAW, at ISO 100. I did crank up the sharpening to about 80 in Adboe Camera Raw though, and I don't think hardly any noise reduction. I really don't think it's that bad, given that it's a crop down from this.

Attachments

• 1R5_0217-23.jpg
    1R5_0217-23.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 93
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes it was RAW, at ISO 100. I did crank up the sharpening to about 80 in Adboe Camera Raw though, and I don't think hardly any noise reduction. I really don't think it's that bad, given that it's a crop down from this.
Here is something I posted a week or two ago in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/show-your-bird-portraits.1280/page-1067
I walked into a bird hide with my camera set at 1/3200s and iso320 for BIF but I saw a wren struggling against a closed window. I took a quick shot or two and rushed over to let it out rather than spend time resetting as it was struggling. I had to push through 5 stops from what looked like pitch black and was able to get something cropped a bit larger than yours. I routinely push through 2 stops.

DSC_6736-DxO_wren_let_me_out_of_here-ls_UNC.jpgDSC_6736-DxO_wren_let_me_out_of_here-lsss.jpg

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
Here is something I posted a week or two ago in https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/show-your-bird-portraits.1280/page-1067
I walked into a bird hide with my camera set at 1/3200s and iso320 for BIF but I saw a wren struggling against a closed window. I took a quick shot or two and rushed over to let it out rather than spend time resetting as it was struggling. I had to push through 5 stops from what looked like pitch black and was able to get something cropped a bit larger than yours. I routinely push through 2 stops.
Ok, so what are you getting at with posting this?

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
That I am not impressed by the huge amount of noise you got pushing iso100 through a couple of stops. I would be very unhappy with that. You shouldn't see any noticeable noise from that exposure.
I guess I'm really not seeing the egregious amount of noise that you are in that photo. Maybe a little, but in a photo that is pretty monochromatic, I'm not too surprised by it.

Here is the same photo just with the exposure and shadows raised to an acceptable level, with just what I think is the default level of noise reduction in camera raw, and without also tweaking the sharpness and clarity. Is this better?

1R5_0217-4.jpg

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I guess I'm really not seeing the egregious amount of noise that you are in that photo. Maybe a little, but in a photo that is pretty monochromatic, I'm not too surprised by it.

Here is the same photo just with the exposure and shadows raised to an acceptable level, with just what I think is the default level of noise reduction in camera raw, and without also tweaking the sharpness and clarity. Is this better?

View attachment 192155
In your opinion, is it now acceptably sharp? If so, then fine.

Upvote 0