Review: The stellar Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Mar 20, 2015
Sigma repairs are well communicated, but slow and they don't offer a loaner program at this time

Well you could buy two Sigma 50mm Art lenses for LESS than the price of the Canon 50mm RF, so I'm not sure why you'd be worried about a loaner. You could chuck the failed one into the bin, buy a second one and still be $400+ better off...

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Well you could buy two Sigma 50mm Art lenses for LESS than the price of the Canon 50mm RF, so I'm not sure why you'd be worried about a loaner. You could chuck the failed one into the bin, buy a second one and still be $400+ better off...
After owning 5 Art lenses I can tell you I would soooo not be better off:LOL:

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Loaners are important for when you damage your lens and need to work the following week. In 2017 I damaged my 85mm Art lens. I sent it into Sigma and they didn't have the parts to fix it and I didn't have an 85mm lens for about 3 weeks. Sigma repairs were very well-communicated to me, but the lack of any sort of pro service was an issue for me as I make my living with my gear. Ironically, before buying the lens the thought crossed my mind and I kinda brushed it off...after a jam-packed month of not having an 85mm for several events I was done with non-Canon glass. In the past, Canon literally overnights me the same lenses or bodies so that I can continue to work and not skip a beat. I see what you're saying about the "buy two" idea, but that's a bit ridiculous. LOL

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I saw the same thing said when I considered the 200 f2 against the 70-200 f2.8, “why pay for that huge and heavy monster when they are practically identical.” Yeah, they are not even close ...

All the above shot shows me is that if you want a lens to look bad it’s an easy task to achieve, know how to get the most out of it and you will.

In any case, if you don’t like, don’t buy it:LOL:

Fortunately, unlike the 200mm lenses, the price variation and size of the RF 50mm 1.2 is a smaller matter. Having owned two 50mm 1.4 lenses, the RF 50mm prove more variation than what MayaTlab suggested. Including distance. I've shot it beyond 20 meters in the redwoods, and printed 30 inches, I can easily see it's qualities in the bokeh, let alone the slight advantage the f/1.2 added.

An apparent chasm seems to bridge between part-time testers and speculators and actual full time users who are printing samples of all sizes.

For me, prints matter the most because that's the most telling end result between lenses.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0