RF 100-500 Availability

Mar 22, 2021
Just curious to hear if anybody has ordered the RF 100-500 recently (2021)? It seems this is on back-order everywhere, and the few posts I can find suggest that B&H, Adorama, Amazon, are sold out/backordered with Canon's store also on a soft backorder.

Placed my order from B&H the other day and just wondering how many week (or months?) I might expect to be waiting.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Personally not interested but I looked for it for you.
So, same here in Germany, 3 to 7 weeks minimum delivery time.

Reactions: Jauffins
Mar 22, 2021
Thanks for the info - most results on this topic are from 2020. Was only able to locate a lone Reddit post from weeks ago where the OP is still waiting on their order. This is my first "big" lens purchase so guess I was surprised to learn of the wait. I've been following the chip shortage closely as I'm big into tech, but wasn't aware that it would impact lenses as much... I suppose those USM motors and other mechanicals don't power themselves, do they?

unfocused

EOS-1D X Mark III
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.mgordoncommunications.com
Just curious to hear if anybody has ordered the RF 100-500 recently (2021)? It seems this is on back-order everywhere, and the few posts I can find suggest that B&H, Adorama, Amazon, are sold out/backordered with Canon's store also on a soft backorder.

Placed my order from B&H the other day and just wondering how many week (or months?) I might expect to be waiting.
Canon Price Watch just ended a street price special on backorders for the lens. The retailer he was dealing with said the orders would be filled in about four weeks.

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Thanks for the info - most results on this topic are from 2020. Was only able to locate a lone Reddit post from weeks ago where the OP is still waiting on their order. This is my first "big" lens purchase so guess I was surprised to learn of the wait. I've been following the chip shortage closely as I'm big into tech, but wasn't aware that it would impact lenses as much... I suppose those USM motors and other mechanicals don't power themselves, do they?
I suppose that ICs for communication between lens and body and AF calculation are also involved - even more IMO.
Not only the "power" semi conductors to drive the AF motor ;)

Mar 22, 2021
Just wanted to provide an update on RF 100-500 availability. Canon's website shows in stock (everybody else shows back-ordered) so I placed an order... only to find that it is actually back-ordered through them as well. I was told that their website sometimes incorrectly shows product as "in stock" when it is not.

The supervisor I spoke with (they ended up taking an order, having website problems, and charging my credit card without showing any order/transaction, and were trying to track that down) said he sees restock every month or so in a quantity of "a handful of lenses." That isn't an entirely accurate representation on availability, but seems to match up with other posts online of people waiting 4+ weeks for their B&H orders. The man did say "he wished they'd make more of them" since demand seemed quite high compared to availability.

Hope this helps anybody else who is also waiting on their RF 100-500. :)

Fischer

EOS RP
Mar 17, 2020

Available outside the US. Prices vary. Got mine yesterday with a 15% official + personal 5% rebate bringing the price below current US retail price.