RF 15-30mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The need for substantial distortion correction was anticipated. How is AF speed and accuracy in low light?
No complaints about accuracy when using it indoors, the AF speed feels a lot faster than the STM 50/85mm primes. About about as fast as the USM used in regular EF-mount lenses, but nowhere near the nano-USM speeds of RF-mount lenses.

The AF speed is better than expected, the 50mm and 85mm lowered my expectations a lot. The distortion and vignetting match my expectations, the corner sharpness, both pre- and post corrections does exceed my expectations.

I picked this lens mostly because my wife won the argument by saying "is the 14-35L really worth €1000 more?" and so far, for me, it isn't.

My biggest grip is that the very much overpriced lens hood isn't available yet, I'd really like some protection for the bulbous front element.

One last thing: The lens is completely retracted in the 28-30mm range, so you don't have to find the middle of the zoom range when storing it.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
My biggest grip is that the very much overpriced lens hood isn't available yet, I'd really like some protection for the bulbous front element.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Drat, I ordered it together with the lens at cameranu.nl, which still has the "coming september" label on the lenshood :/

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
I became the owner of this lens the day before yesterday. I bought it with a lens hood in the official Canon online store. This is not my first contact with an ultra-wide angle lens in my life. When I had the 5DS, I attached the EF20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM and EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM lenses to it. These types of lenses are my last choice (because I don't have much to photograph with them on a daily basis), so I do not require any outstanding optical parameters from them.

Do I have any thoughts of my own? Yes I do.

General thoughts

The price of this lens on the European market is disproportionate to its quality. I live in Poland. I paid for it with a lens hood rounded to full PLN 3610 PLN (about 764 USD). I managed to get rid of this tip thanks to the earlier sale of the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM lens, so I finally lost 3000 PLN (about 635 USD) from my bank account. In my opinion it is definitely too high a price for this lens as a novelty, and I think it should be up to PLN 2500 (about 529 USD).

The lens with the lens hood was produced in Taiwan in the second half of July 2022, so as the saying goes it is still warm.

The lens hood is screw-on only, there is no lens hood lock release button here. Its inside is easy to scratch (I hit it on the edge of the Hoya circular filter, which has such tiny teeth on its circumference).

The lens is wrapped in a box only in a bubble wrap (large meshes), which I personally know very well for example from the box designed for the EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens. So Canon is positioning it as low as possible, you could use the term cheap shit maliciously here.

It is a lens designed mainly for filming, and photography with it is an option. What does this indicate? The control ring to which we can assign various functions has been click-free at the factory - it rotates without any resistance. The AF motor of this lens works almost silently in SERVO mode, and absolutely silently in movie mode. In the aforementioned EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM lens it also worked absolutely silently in SERVO mode.

The aperture values for the focal lengths are as follows:

15mm - f/4.5
20mm - f/5
24mm - f/5.6
28mm - f/6.3
30mm - f/6.3

The aperture value assigned to a given focal length is automatically changed in shooting modes Fv, P, Tv, and M.

The electronic distance scale measured in meters visible in the EVF or on the rear LCD panel looks like this:

0.28, 0.35, 0.5, 1, 2, infinity

Quality of photos

What about the quality of the photos? I don't know, you guys tell me. It seems to me that it could be a bit sharper, but maybe it cannot be required in a lens of this class? Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of picking up any number of copies there, I can possibly return and buy another one, but then I deprive myself of the possibility of taking pictures for a dozen or so days in the beautiful weather we now have in Poland, and I have absolutely no guarantee that I will find a better copy.

DOWNLOAD RAW FILES HERE:

Two different locations. In the first location (the monument) the sunlight was on my left side, in the second location (the marina) I had sunlight almost perfectly behind my back. The photos were taken at apertures native for each focal length and by f/8. The photos on the minimum focusing distance were taken at the native aperture at 30mm i.e. f/6.3, f/7.1 and f/8. All photos were taken hand-held with the IS lens ON, in Av shooting mode and AF in SERVO mode. I used only the electronic shutter. The lens was attached to the R (EOS R).

As you will probably notice, the photos by f/8 are very minimally but still worse than at the native aperture for a given focal length. This is because focus shifts when stopping down. At a focal length of 30mm a very gentle focus shift starts right from the f/8 aperture. The best balanced sharpness is at f/7.1. At a focal length of 15mm the best balanced sharpness is at f/4.5 and f/5, then a very gentle focus shift begins. The focus point shifts towards the back. I came to such conclusions using the SpyderLENSCAL tool (test RAW files can be found at the link provided earlier).

The advantage of a beautiful blue sky should definitely be avoided in the photos, because the correction of Peripheral illumination (vignette) under the DPP literally violates this sky. The sides of the sky become brighter than the center of it. This is especially noticeable at focal lengths in the 15-24mm range, on thumbnails where the photos are placed next to each other. I recently switched to DxO PhotoLab, and I am curious how this problem will be solved when the profile for this lens appears (currently unavailable).

For photos on the minimum focusing distance you need to close the aperture so that they have the right sharpness.

Information about distortion correction is embedded in the RAW file.

Sample photos

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
Such a little curiosity, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Canon does not admit to this lens model. Seriously. I have just received a reply from a man working as a Senior Business Development Manager B2B Central Europe at Canon Polska Sp. z o.o. [Polish limited liability company] on my inquiry why, since the purchase in the end of August 2022, I still cannot register this model of the lens in the CPS program.

I will quote the most important part of this answer:

Sir, the lens you have mentioned is not supported under the CPS program, it is not possible to register it.

Is this what Japanese corporate logic looks like? You can't register a lens worth 3429 PLN in the CPS program, but in the same CPS program you can register a lens worth 899 PLN (RF 50mm f/1.8 STM), and get 20 points for it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Such a little curiosity, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Canon does not admit to this lens model. Seriously. I have just received a reply from a man working as a Senior Business Development Manager B2B Central Europe at Canon Polska Sp. z o.o. [Polish limited liability company] on my inquiry why, since the purchase at the end of August 2022, I still cannot register this model of the lens in CPS.

I will quote the most important part of this answer:

Is this what Japanese corporate logic looks like? You can't register a lens worth 3429 PLN in the CPS, but in the same CPS you can register a lens worth 899 PLN (RF 50mm f/1.8 STM), and get 20 points for it.
Canon.nl usually takes a few weeks to support a new lens, CPS points to customer service and customer service points to CPS when asked about it. I’ll assume canon.pl is the same.
And thank you for reminding me that I forgot to register it with CPS :)

Upvote 0