RF 24-70 peeling film inside the lens

Hey all,
I've been shooting with my RF 24-70 for just over a year. I do a lot of action sports filming on the Canon C70. I noticed that the internal film(not sure how best to describe it) surrounding the front element has began to peel away inside of my lens... Additionally, I'm noticing that this lens does not perform well in the elements. We are out shooting action sports in the desert frequently and I've noticed that there's a decent amount of sand and dirt INSIDE of my lens.
Anyone know if this is covered by warranty or the best way to go about repairing? Additionally, if you can give me an idea on how long I should expect to not have this lens in my possession while it's getting repaired by canon that'd be fantastic.
Cheers,
Dylan

Attachments

• IMG_2188_JPG.jpg
    IMG_2188_JPG.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2189_JPG.jpg
    IMG_2189_JPG.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 33
Jul 21, 2010
Canon’s ‘dust- and water-resistance’ isn’t a guarantee. If water or dust get in, it’s not covered by the warranty.

How much and how long to fix depend on many things, including your CPS member tier (if any, and now may be a good time to sign up, for the repair discount), and the repair center workload since non/low tier CPS members don’t have a repair turnaround time guarantee. You’d need to contact Canon Service for the specifics.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Just echoing what Neuro said. If you have a Gold membership the turnaround is 3 days, if Platinum it is two days. The repair discount is 20% for Gold and 30% for Platinum. You can join and then immediately send it in for repairs. I upgraded a couple of years ago from Gold to Platinum and although it's expensive, it was worth it to me. One perk of the Platinum level is that Canon will (you have to request it) email you a return authorization label so that you don't pay shipping either to or from Canon. That's overnight FedEx shipping BTW.

On a less optimistic note, sand inside any lens is not good news. You probably need to brace yourself for a hefty bill, but they will contact you with an estimate if it exceeds a certain level (I think it's $300, but I can't recall at the moment).

Upvote 0
Hey all,
I've been shooting with my RF 24-70 for just over a year. I do a lot of action sports filming on the Canon C70. I noticed that the internal film(not sure how best to describe it) surrounding the front element has began to peel away inside of my lens... Additionally, I'm noticing that this lens does not perform well in the elements. We are out shooting action sports in the desert frequently and I've noticed that there's a decent amount of sand and dirt INSIDE of my lens.
Anyone know if this is covered by warranty or the best way to go about repairing? Additionally, if you can give me an idea on how long I should expect to not have this lens in my possession while it's getting repaired by canon that'd be fantastic.
Cheers,
Dylan
Looks like it might have got hot in the sun or in the car? Have you looked into Canon CPS if you have the gear to qualify you will get your lens back like in a week and save the fee to join CPS on repair.

Upvote 0