RF 100-500mm f/4.5-7.1L IS USM

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Ah fantastic to see it getting out. I am most definitely interested to see how it compares at 500mm to the Nikon 500 5.6. Well whole system vs whole system. I hope you’ll very much enjoy yours.
If I could get hold of an R5 and then a lens, I'd tell you! But, don't hold your breath.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

If I could get hold of an R5 and then a lens, I'd tell you! But, don't hold your breath.
I will probably rent both setups soon. There is still that niggle with the EVF for fleeing animals. I have a collection of RAW images from a 500PF on a D850, now this lens is shipping I can do something of a comparison soon. It comes down to ISO 6400 on the D850 vs ISO 8000 on the R5. Then imagine sharpness and colour. But non the less @koenkooi gratz and enjoy your new lens!

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Slightly too slow shutterspeed, 1/250th. 100% crop from the center of the frame at 500mm:

IMG_0320.jpg

I have other shots where the bee is largely OOF, but the mites in the fur are sharp. The mite here, in the middle directly above the wings, is sadly OOF.
Default DPP4 sharpening, exported as TIFF to Lightroom. Only shadows have been raised, no 'texture' or 'sharpening' in LR.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Still rainy today, but a snail was available for modeling. I can safely say that the AF was up to the task of tracking this speed demon :) Since it's at ISO 2000 I've added a link to the CR3 so you can play with it yourself, Topaz Denoise AI does a pretty good job on it. I like that I can see the tiny bug on the stem of the weeds.

1/100s, f/10, 500m, ISO 2000
RAW from an EOS RP

And yes, it's has a dutch angle, I couldn't get the screen to flip out otherwise :)

Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
Would love to see some quality comparisons or reviews from anyone vs. the EF 100-400mk2 particularly at 400. My mk1 died after 8 years and the time is ripe for replacement, only question is do I go EF or RF....

The MTF model charts on the RF 100-500 hint at a dropoff in quality at 500mm, but nothing has been predicted at 400mm. Also, Canon changed the MTF method they use in 2018 for RF and while they say they applied this to current EF lenses I cannot find a recent MTF for the 100-400 mk2. Supposedly from the Canon white paper, the RF MTF method is much more strict so lenses look worse, but aren't.

Guess I will have to wait...

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Here are a few from my first 24 hours with the lens. Just testing it out on the R5. Except for the mannequin, which was at 400mm, all shots are at 500mm. The elephant is at MFD. The mannequin was taken at 1/15th sec handheld! (All are handheld.) The clock was taken at 1/125th.

The birds are cropped to approximately 100%, and the lamp to about 50%. The clock, mannequin, and elephant are not cropped.

All are SOOC except for my LR CC default sharpening of 25, and I use Adobe Color as the default Profile.

One thing I notice is that when a bif is quite high and nearly straight overhead (buzzards), my IBIS jumps quite a bit, making it tricky to frame at 500mm. It could be the awkward position and just getting used to a long lens again. And I do notice, while shooting stationary subjects at 500mm, the image never quite holds still from shot to shot, as my hands aren't too steady and the IBIS is working hard.

One other thing, hardly considered real-world, but at night shooting lights at 500mm, if I'm slightly overexposed, the EVF goes all jittery and streaky. Bringing down the exposure improves significantly but does not eliminate the phenomenon. I never saw an OVF do this. Otherwise my EVF experience is smooth and without distractions.

Attachments

• First 24 hrs (7).jpg
    First 24 hrs (7).jpg
    701.1 KB · Views: 156
  • First 24 hrs (1).jpg
    First 24 hrs (1).jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 161
  • First 24 hrs (4).jpg
    First 24 hrs (4).jpg
    691.5 KB · Views: 151
  • First 24 hrs (2).jpg
    First 24 hrs (2).jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 155
  • First 24 hrs (3).jpg
    First 24 hrs (3).jpg
    729.1 KB · Views: 166
  • First 24 hrs (5).jpg
    First 24 hrs (5).jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 167
  • First 24 hrs (6).jpg
    First 24 hrs (6).jpg
    317 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Here are a few from my first 24 hours with the lens. Just testing it out on the R5. Except for the mannequin, which was at 400mm, all shots are at 500mm. The elephant is at MFD. The mannequin was taken at 1/15th sec handheld! (All are handheld.) The clock was taken at 1/125th.

The birds are cropped to approximately 100%, and the lamp to about 50%. The clock, mannequin, and elephant are not cropped.

All are SOOC except for my LR CC default sharpening of 25, and I use Adobe Color as the default Profile.

One thing I notice is that when a bif is quite high and nearly straight overhead (buzzards), my IBIS jumps quite a bit, making it tricky to frame at 500mm. It could be the awkward position and just getting used to a long lens again. And I do notice, while shooting stationary subjects at 500mm, the image never quite holds still from shot to shot, as my hands aren't too steady and the IBIS is working hard.

One other thing, hardly considered real-world, but at night shooting lights at 500mm, if I'm slightly overexposed, the EVF goes all jittery and streaky. Bringing down the exposure improves significantly but does not eliminate the phenomenon. I never saw an OVF do this. Otherwise my EVF experience is smooth and without distractions.
Looks real sharp to me. I think, one day, this will be my long lens solution. Thanks for posting! BTW: How do you like the doll? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Looks real sharp to me. I think, one day, this will be my long lens solution. Thanks for posting! BTW: How do you like the doll? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
:D It is invaluable for doing studio lighting setups. I got it from Walmart about a year ago, and it only cost $40. Life size, and stands on its own.

When I got it, I made a strategic decision to only dress it in my wife's clothes. This seems to have prevented jealousy. So far.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0