RRS plate for EOS R3 available for preorder

Jul 21, 2010
Really Right Stuff has their plate for the R3 available for preorder.

I’m pleased to see that they went with the modular design for the L-bracket, I really like that design on my 1D X (and I requested it for the R3 when I inquired about it).

I also requested that they include a lug on the right side of the base plate to allow attachment of a hand strap, since it seems Canon decided not to put a bottom lug on the R3. No pics of the RRS plate yet, but hopefully there’s a lug on there.

Selfishly, I waited until I’d placed my preorder before posting this thread. :p

Reactions: 2 users
I really like the RRS feet I have, but I've found that I took off the L-bracket for the 1Dx and haven't put it back on again.

Which made me stop and wonder about why getting an L-bracket for the R3 at all. Especially consdiering that it's $205 for a bracket at will see very little use.

We're all different, but here's my background and rationale:
On my 5D3 I use a camdapter AS-compatible bracket, because it offers the lug for a side-strap and because I use sometimes use the 5D3 for landscape/tripod stuff where the AS bracket is handy.
With the 1Dx, I find that I never use it on a tripod or monopod that isn't mounted to the lens, because I mainly use it for sports or wildlife. If I put a "short" lens on it (70-200/2.8 or smaller), I just hand-hold it.

If the R3 is the main camera for "everything", including landscapes, long-image stiches, long-time exposures and macros, I can definitely see the use for a bracket (L or base).

Neuro, I'm curious to hear your (and others as well) expected use-cases for the bracket.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Neuro, I'm curious to hear your (and others as well) expected use-cases for the bracket.
The 1D X was my primary camera, as the R3 will be once it arrives. I usually leave the upright section of the L-bracket off, attaching it only when I’m also bringing along a tripod (unless I’m bringing only a collared lens, e.g., shooting winter raptors with the 600/4).

I always have a body plate on my camera and a lens plate on collared lenses, not only for tripod mounting but because that’s how I carry my camera. I eschew neck straps. I do have an E1 hand strap on my 1D X (and Peak Design wrist straps on my R and M6 in addition to RRS plates) for outings where the camera will be transported in a bag and brought out only briefly to shoot. The hand strap is why I’m really hoping the RRS version provides the lug that was left off the R3.

But if I’m walking around with it, I use a BlackRapid shoulder strap (regular version for everything but the 600/4, with which I use the Sport L version for a left-side carry). My BlackRapid strap lugs are semi-permanently attached (Loctite Blue 242) to Kirk 1” clamps. With the screw clamp, I can easily attach and remove the strap, or transfer it from body attachment to lens attachment for better balance when I mount a collared lens. Sometimes I also connect the AS mount for a Spider Holster and carry the camera on a belt.

Basically, having an AS attachment point on my bodies and collared lenses gives me the flexibility to attach them to a tripod, monopod or carrying device and switch quickly and seamlessly between them.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
I basically use the sam strap system as Neuro but have substituted the QD Strap Swivels for the 1" plates. I find the QD system easier to use, but this is a personal preference. With regrades to an L-bracket, I will likely not purchase one for the R3 because in the past I have rarely used it on my 1Dx cameras. With that said I will be purchasing a base plate for the R3, but am going to wait and see what is produced by Kirk Photo because I find their plates just as functional as RRS and sometimes they are a bit more economical.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Thanks @neuroanatomist and @john1970

I had forgotten about the BlackRapid straps that both of you use, and the attachment. I've seen them, but never used them. Just using the bottom plate would a sensible approach as the Sirui I have (which looks quite similar to the RRS plate) is quite low-profile when the side-bracket isn't used (then it takes up a lot of space in the bag).

I am quite happy with the neck strap, and wille let the body+lens (200-400 usually) hang from the body strap with no qualms. When walking or biking around with the camera out of the bag, I will generally hold it from the lens foot.

The medium strength Loctite should be more than fine - I use it on quite a few bolts on my motorcycles (e.g. footpeg attachment bolts) and once loctited, they only come off when I "tell them" with a suitable wrench & head. There is also a "high strength" Loctite, but it needs to be heated to 300 degrees C for dismantling. A wee bit overboard in this application, I'd say :D

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Really Right Stuff has their plate for the R3 available for preorder.

I’m pleased to see that they went with the modular design for the L-bracket, I really like that design on my 1D X (and I requested it for the R3 when I inquired about it).

I also requested that they include a lug on the right side of the base plate to allow attachment of a hand strap, since it seems Canon decided not to put a bottom lug on the R3. No pics of the RRS plate yet, but hopefully there’s a lug on there.

Selfishly, I waited until I’d placed my preorder before posting this thread. :p
I was also disappointed to learn that Canon had decided not to put a bottom lug on the R3 as I always use a hand strap.

I recently emailed RRS to see if they had included a lug on the base plate. They stated, there will be a strap boss on the base plate but not on the vertical element.

RRS have now updated their site with pics of the R3 modular plates.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I basically use the sam strap system as Neuro but have substituted the QD Strap Swivels for the 1" plates. I find the QD system easier to use, but this is a personal preference.
I am strongly considering going this route. It wasn't around when I put together my BR+clamp setup. But BR now has a QD strap. It would mean replacing two L84A lens plates with L85 versions (70-200 and 100-500), since those plates also predate the QD system, but that's not a big deal. The other lens plates I have also lack the QD socket, but those are on lenses like the 100L Macro and MP-E 65 where a body attachment is fine (main use for the plates is tripod mounting for easy portrait/landscape rotation).

There is no BR left-handed version with a QD attachment so far (that I can find), so I would probably keep the left-handed strap with the 1" clamp and only replace the LCF-53 foot on my 600 II with the QD-compatible Rev. B version if BR makes a lefty QD version.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I was also disappointed to learn that Canon had decided not to put a bottom lug on the R3 as I always use a hand strap.

I recently emailed RRS to see if they had included a lug on the base plate. They stated, there will be a strap boss on the base plate but not on the vertical element.

Thanks, that's great news! That will work well, I'll keep my preorder. :)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011

By strap boss I think you will find they mean the receiver hole for their QD strap, which is a repurposed gun strap system.

you can buy the swivel seperate;y which might work for some. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...qd_strap_swivel_d_loop_qd_strap_swivel_d.html

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
No, it's a proper boss for the hand strap, adjacent to the QD socket.

View attachment 201666
Sweet!

However thinking about how I currently use my PD hand strap and the RRS L Plate on the 1DX II, I always have the soap on, when I am doing some jobs like real estate, architecture, studio work etc I'll have the complete L Plate on as well. When I travel with a tripod I don't take the L bit just the baseplate, I feel it helps with the wear and tear on the camera too but reduces size and weight a touch. When I am shooting action, sports or general walk around without a tripod I take the base plate off swell and just use the hand strap, the body fits into a ThinkTank Turnstyle 10 then.

For the last scenario I suppose I just have to live with the fact that I always need to leave the baseplate on, not that big a deal but I still feel it is a shame Canon dropped the functionality from the R3. Oh well, first world problems...

P.S. Interesting that they have moved the hex key to the L part. But they have adopted one of my design issues I raised with them about previous L Plates. There is enough space to undo the baseplate without taking off the L part first. Well done RRS, you are welcome!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
For the last scenario I suppose I just have to live with the fact that I always need to leave the baseplate on, not that big a deal but I still feel it is a shame Canon dropped the functionality from the R3. Oh well, first world problems...
On my 1D X, I left the base plate on all the time. I'll do that with the R3 as well, for attaching the BR strap.

P.S. Interesting that they have moved the hex key to the L part.
I didn't notice it there, just noticed that it wasn't in the base. I have lots of them, with all the RRS plates I've bought. Enough for one per bag (and I have a lot of bags!). But almost as handy to have it in the upright part as in the base (almost, because there were a few times when I was out without the upright and having the hex key in the base came in handy for other things.

But they have adopted one of my design issues I raised with them about previous L Plates. There is enough space to undo the baseplate without taking off the L part first. Well done RRS, you are welcome!
Does that mean I can take credit for suggesting the strap lug on this plate? ;)

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Does that mean I can take credit for suggesting the strap lug on this plate? ;)
Well I do have predating emails that show my idea preceded the inclusion of the feature, but yes you can, I'm sure you will get as much credit and payment as me ;)

Amongst my suggestions I also said they should make the L section bolt captive (as several of my other RRS plates have) to save losing them, wonder if they have adopted that as well?

Just looked, no it isn't...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am strongly considering going this route. It wasn't around when I put together my BR+clamp setup. But BR now has a QD strap.
Going to give it a try. BR QD strap ordered, along with a pair of L85 plates for QD attachment to the RF 70-200/2.8 and 100-500. My EOS R L-plate has a QD socket (and in checking for that, I found that it also has a hand strap lug, although I've never tried a hand strap on a non-gripped body, I may connect my spare E1 strap just to try it).

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Going to give it a try. BR QD strap ordered, along with a pair of L85 plates for QD attachment to the RF 70-200/2.8 and 100-500. My EOS R L-plate has a QD socket (and in checking for that, I found that it also has a hand strap lug, although I've never tried a hand strap on a non-gripped body, I may connect my spare E1 strap just to try it).
Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the BR QD strap and not the RRS Magpul MS4 Dual QD Sling, or any other brand?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the BR QD strap and not the RRS Magpul MS4 Dual QD Sling, or any other brand?
I've used BR straps for over a decade, and been very happy with them. It's 'rapid' because the camera attachment slides along the strap, instead of the strap sliding around your body. That means that 1) the strap can have a padded section that remains in place (more comfortable than the unpadded RRS strap or the Kirk strap that I tried), and 2) the strap can be worn and used with a backpack in place, because the only part that's moving is the camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have the 28-70mm f/2 on the R3 right now, and the combo would really benefit from the hand strap. So much so that I just ordered the RRS BP-CS 'universal' plate (which includes strap bosses) to tide me over until the dedicated R3 L-plate shows up (it would not surprise me it the RRS estimated ship date for it slips).

Upvote 0