RRS plate for EOS R3 available for preorder

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
I've used BR straps for over a decade, and been very happy with them. It's 'rapid' because the camera attachment slides along the strap, instead of the strap sliding around your body. That means that 1) the strap can have a padded section that remains in place (more comfortable than the unpadded RRS strap or the Kirk strap that I tried), and 2) the strap can be worn and used with a backpack in place, because the only part that's moving is the camera.
Thanks!

I had a BR strap years ago, but had a camera come totally loose more than a few times. I would check my BR connections regularly especially during long hikes but occasionally they would loosen up. Because of this, I now just hold it from the lens foot. Maybe its time to look at the BR straps again.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
I have the 28-70mm f/2 on the R3 right now, and the combo would really benefit from the hand strap. So much so that I just ordered the RRS BP-CS 'universal' plate (which includes strap bosses) to tide me over until the dedicated R3 L-plate shows up (it would not surprise me it the RRS estimated ship date for it slips).
When I am shooting sports (mainly ice hockey now), I use my 300mm 2.8 II handheld. I have the Canon hand strap E2 (had the E1 but wore out) on my 1DX2. I don’t use the strap as a means to support the weight of the camera, but it does provide me with some stability in hand holding the lens for long periods of time.

I agree, the estimated ship date of the R3 L-plate could possibly be much later. I had a look at the RRS BP-CS plate and have decided (as you) to order it for my R3 until the R3 L-plate arrives.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks!

I had a BR strap years ago, but had a camera come totally loose more than a few times. I would check my BR connections regularly especially during long hikes but occasionally they would loosen up. Because of this, I now just hold it from the lens foot. Maybe its time to look at the BR straps again.
The lug did have a tendency to loosen. My solution was to attach the lug to a Kirk 1” clamp with Loctite, and attach the clamp to the camera or lens plate. Completely secure.

I believe the QD system to be just as secure, but it is much less bulky.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have the 28-70mm f/2 on the R3 right now, and the combo would really benefit from the hand strap. So much so that I just ordered the RRS BP-CS 'universal' plate (which includes strap bosses) to tide me over until the dedicated R3 L-plate shows up (it would not surprise me it the RRS estimated ship date for it slips).
BP-CS plate arrived today. Fits fine on the camera and enables attachment of the E1 hand strap. The plate is pretty short and sits close to the 'wrong' side of the camera so I need the strap at its loosest for it to work, but it does.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
BP-CS plate arrived today. Fits fine on the camera and enables attachment of the E1 hand strap. The plate is pretty short and sits close to the 'wrong' side of the camera so I need the strap at its loosest for it to work, but it does.
Thanks for the update. Mine should arrive on Tuesday from B&H.:)

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
Nice! Looking forward to your impressions. No shipping notice for me yet, but I expect I'll get one at some point soon.
Hope you receive yours soon!

I received an email from UPS stating my parcel from RRS won’t be delivered until I pay the import fees. I originally payed $68.00 for UPS Worldwide Expedited and now UPS want another $58.00! I have no problem paying any government taxes but I won’t pay their broker fees. I will “self clear” my parcel at a CBSA office.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
The RRS website now shows the BR3 base plate alone in stock with a final price of $105, and the modular L plate out of stock with a final price of $270.

I got my shipping notice yesterday, should have the L plate early next week. They charged me the $205 that was the price when I placed the order.
I just received my modular L plate for the R3 yesterday but as we are in a two day snow storm, I haven’t had time to do a review.

Question, as this is my first L plate, when the L component is flush with the camera, should you have full access to the side ports?

Also, did you pay $205.00 or $250.00?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Question, as this is my first L plate, when the L component is flush with the camera, should you have full access to the side ports?
I’m not sure for the R3. I’m going to guess no, but I could be wrong. All ports are accessible on my 1D X, but for the port covers all the ‘hinges’ (for lack of a better term) are along the center strip between the ports, and one bar of the RRS upright runs along that strip with space on either side. All the flaps open ‘in’ toward that bar, so they all have room to flip open.

On the R3, one flap opens in and one out, those two will probably open. But the PC sync and Ethernet covers open ‘up’.

If not, you can always use the spaced-away mounting hole.

Also, did you pay $205.00 or $250.00?
$205 was the price when I clicked buy (minutes before the first post in this thread), and that’s what they pulled from my bank account yesterday.

Upvote 0

Raptors

CR Pro
Jun 26, 2013
Canada
When the vertical L-Component is mounted flush against the camera, I only have access to the top left which is the MIC and headphone. It’s not a major issue (for me), as you stated I can always use the spaced-away mounting hole.

The base plate is a perfect fit and best of all it has a strap boss which enables attachment of the E2 hand strap.

I payed $250.00 US.

Attachments

• IMG_9330.JPG
    IMG_9330.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9328.JPG
    IMG_9328.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The fit on the side of the 1D X is different, but that body is much deeper and lacks an articulating screen.

C10F8F22-9BDF-4B54-9466-3940954B6B7E.jpeg

The only port I ever actually used on my 1D X was the remote trigger port.

On the R3, I suspect the only port I will ever use is the USB-C port, which will come in handy to charge the battery while traveling, because that way I would not need to bring the large, two position charger.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Received mine a couple weeks ago. The E1 strap is a better fit since the lug is much closer to the right side of the body than the one on the generic plate.

A little disappointed that the hex key is stored in the upright instead of the base plate – I only attach the upright when bringing a tripod, and having the hex key onboard all the time came in handy on a few occasions (including once when I was dropping my 1D X off in person at the Jamesburg, NJ service center for the oily shutter recall – I needed to remove the base plate and someone else in the lobby did as well).

I do wish they made the bolt to attach the upright section captive on the upright, instead of needing to leave it in the base plate or risk losing it.

Overall, though, great as usual from RRS.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
Really Right Stuff has their plate for the R3 available for preorder.

I’m pleased to see that they went with the modular design for the L-bracket, I really like that design on my 1D X (and I requested it for the R3 when I inquired about it).

I also requested that they include a lug on the right side of the base plate to allow attachment of a hand strap, since it seems Canon decided not to put a bottom lug on the R3. No pics of the RRS plate yet, but hopefully there’s a lug on there.

Selfishly, I waited until I’d placed my preorder before posting this thread. :p
QD port? Indispensable.

Upvote 0