Rumored Canon EOS M6 Mark II specifications [CR1]

jolyonralph

EOS R5 Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I could be very wrong, and also, with that beefy heavy elements, zoom lock is required even for internally zooming lenses. But still hoping on: "if true" ;)

Let's wait and see, it's around the corner.
I love your optimism, but it's pretty much confirmed the RF 70-200 2.8 is a zoom lens.

Two things that I think this will mean

a) It could be cheaper than the EF 70-200 2.8 IS III (Doesn't mean it will be, that's down to Canon, but it appears to be a *cheaper* lens to produce based on design & number of elements)

b) It won't have any recess for working with any future RF teleconverter. Four options I see for future RF teleconverters

i) They will only be useable with the big whites on RF (and the 70-200 2.8 doesn't class as a big white any more)

ii) They will work with ANY RF lens because they won't intrude into the lens (unlikely - I think this would have too many optical tradeoffs)

iii) They won't bother doing teleconverters any more - because a 400mm f/2.8 lens with a teleconverter is likely to give a lower quality image than the 400mm f/2.8 attached to a very high-resolution sensor and cropping in to get your image. Only exception will be some lenses that have built-in TCs.

Jasonmc89

EOS 80D
Feb 7, 2019
UK
If this is true colour me shocked (in a good way). This would fianlly mean Canon would definitely be showing signs of waking from its self-induced coma. Those specs are quite impressive. Is that a Canon sensor and is it stacked. 16fps with AE/AF is getting beyond mechanical shutter especially at this price point, so e-shutter would make sense, but unless it has tricks like the Fuji XT-3 it would require stacked sensor or global shutter. The M5 might be nice, but I'd prefer to see this same feature set in APS-C RF mount camera.
These exact specs, but with an R mount would be awesome! That’s what I want anyway.

Adrianf

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jul 7, 2015
If, as we're all hoping, some of these specs are true it bodes very well for all of Canon's forthcoming releases. Their "pro-mirrorless" model could be amazing!

BillB

EOS R
May 11, 2017
i think he's more talking about the joke of an EF-m lineup...it's weird they're totally half-assing the M line...no fast lenses...just put out a couple f2.8 zooms at least...hell even an f4 zoom would be nice...most the zoom lenses go to f5.6 or 6.3

i'm just hoping this new sensor is in the 90D
For people who really care, there are a bunch of EF lenses they can adapt if they want to, including several very nice f4 zooms

amorse

EOS RP
Jan 26, 2017
www.instagram.com
Spec list or fever dream? Time will tell...
I hate to say it, but my money is on fever dream.

Consider the landscape if this were true and imagine the expectations that would place on their next series of releases. If the M6 is going to be higher resolution than the 5D IV, have a burst rate more than twice as fast as the 5D IV and faster still than the 1Dxii, no crop 4k, and have slow motion video options that aren't possible on any other Canon cameras to date, what does that tell consumers to think about their current full frame mirrorless offerings? Not to throw shade at the R and RP (I really like them for what they are), but these specs are far and beyond what the R series offers, and for the average buyer standing in a BestBuy/Walmart/Camera store or comparing specs on Amazon, this would be very confusing or lead them to believe that the M series is the professional option. If Canon is making money off of glass, why would they push their potential consumers away from their new expensive glass? Especially into a system that can never use that R glass and has no clean transition pathway to the R glass. If Canon was ever going to make a real splash with a mic drop spec list, I would have bet it would happen in the R system, not the M system.

This doesn't smell right to me, though I'd love it if it were true.

Reactions: Kharan

blackcoffee17

EOS RP
Sep 17, 2014
For people who really care, there are a bunch of EF lenses they can adapt if they want to, including several very nice f4 zooms
There are not really. Can adapt a 70-200 and i would but there is no high quality normal zoom which is not as big and heavy as a brick.

Reactions: Kharan
Jul 26, 2019
No 4K 60 fps. Bet, Mark III will feature 60K. Really annoying and predictable speed (slowness) of development. As for me, I'm deciding between M5 Mark II and Iphone 11 in September. Sure, not me alone.

bdbender4

EOS M50
Jan 19, 2017
I was a long-time M user. Liked it better than Fuji X, which I also used for several years. But I gave up waiting on the M5/M6 update and switched to Nikon full frame mirrorless last year. I still have the 11-22, 22, and 32 M lenses and EF adapter + some other lenses, though. Maybe the updated M5 will be interesting after the usual-initial-Canon-price-gouging-price goes down...

koenkooi

EOS R
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
I hate to say it, but my money is on fever dream.

Consider the landscape if this were true and imagine the expectations that would place on their next series of releases. If the M6 is going to be higher resolution than the 5D IV, have a burst rate more than twice as fast as the 5D IV and faster still than the 1Dxii, no crop 4k, and have slow motion video options that aren't possible on any other Canon cameras to date, what does that tell consumers to think about their current full frame mirrorless offerings?[..]

This doesn't smell right to me, though I'd love it if it were true.
While I agree that it's likely a fever dream, the M50 already had a burstrate beyond the 5D4 and had eye-AF. So I wouldn't be surprised if it this camera would have better specs than the R/RP. But the current list really seems to good to be true. It only lacks 'IBIS' and 'global shutter' to be complete.

Reactions: amorse

Proscribo

EOS RP
Jan 21, 2015
b) It won't have any recess for working with any future RF teleconverter. Four options I see for future RF teleconverters
Huh, there's really no way of knowing whether there is room for a teleconverter or not just because we know (kinda) that the lens extends when zooming.

amorse

EOS RP
Jan 26, 2017
www.instagram.com
While I agree that it's likely a fever dream, the M50 already had a burstrate beyond the 5D4 and had eye-AF. So I wouldn't be surprised if it this camera would have better specs than the R/RP. But the current list really seems to good to be true. It only lacks 'IBIS' and 'global shutter' to be complete.
True, but 16 fps burst rate would be leading for Canon as a company - I have a hard time seeing it jump ahead of the 1Dxii. The other point which caught my attention is I had thought the digital stabilizer for movies only worked if a crop was in place - how can it use a digital stabilizer without a crop? That seems off to me as well.

FredEOS

EOS R / m50 / a6400
Jul 18, 2019
It's interesting.

Canon goes all in on full frame mirrorless glass while working slowly on full frame bodies.

But with the M series they slowly work on glass (I think the average is about 1 new lens per year since the M line started) but go all in on the bodies.

As an m50 owner I would love more prime M
Sorry I was misleading. I don't personally want any new full frame mirrorless body. I'm plenty happy with the full frame DSLR body options. I'm complaining about the slow development of M lenses.

I love the portability of crop sensor mirrorless bodies and glass when I need something light and small.

When I don't need portability I love having a heavy full frame DSLR with full frame glass.
Honestly there’s enough M lenses imo (a new zoom one is coming though). With the $99 adapter for EF glasses you have the biggest lineup in the world. Ok... they’re big.