Rumored D800 specs look mighty impressive

Status
Not open for further replies.
In recent days, we've read rumors that the 5DIII will get the 1Dx's sensor, or some other chip that prioritizes low-light/high ISO performance at the expense of megapixels. In the meantime, Nikon Rumors posted this spec list of the D800, which the site administrator feels is 99% accurate:

- 36 megapixel sensor
- 51-point AF system
- ISO 100-6400, expandable to 25,600
- 3-inch-plus screen
- 4 fps in standard mode, 6 fps in DX mode with battery grip
- 1080 video, of course

Link: www.nikonrumors.com

If those specs are legit, that's one impressive body to say the least. Who knows, maybe Canon will surprise everyone and announce a 30 mp-plus 5DIII, but even if it does, I doubt the AF system or FPS will come anywhere close. The 1Dx and D4 seem to line up nicely on paper, but I'm not so sure if Canon will come up with a 5DIII that can go head-to-head with this rumored D800.

I realize the verdict won't be determined until real working models of the D800 and 5DIII are in production and have been tested head-to-head, but I can see lots of people cutting their losses and jumping to Nikon if the rumors in the Nikon and Canon camps actually pan out. Hell, I'd consider the D800 an upgrade over my 1DsIII.

Mar 25, 2011
I doubt that either Nikon or Canon will release a camera that is not excellent. I have found a lot of use for the low light capabilities of my 5D MK II with up to ISO 6400, and want even higher ISO along with good resolution. I'm a bit suprised to see such a turn around in the Nikon Attitude, one of the executives said of the D700 a few years back, that it was a mistake to concentrate solely on high ISO, and that they would not be doing that in the future.

Canon seemed to have received the opposite message, at least, from the pro body users. I'd only upgrade my 5D MK II if it could gain 1-1/2 stops of ISO with low noise, but many will want more MP, I'm sure.

I wish they would announce the MK III, so I could decide if I am going to the 1D X or not.

Upvote 0
One more thing, before I get bashed as a sell-out and a megapixel lover, my shooting needs prioritize low-light/high-ISO performance over megapixel count, as the editorial outlets I work for rarely publish images much larger than 16x20. If I'm forced to choose between megapixels or ISO and dynamic range, I'll take the latter every time. However, I'd be lying if I said that I didn't notice a distinct difference between the detail captured by my 5DI vs. my 1DsIII, even when the 5D's files aren't stretched beyond 300 dpi in print. This might have something to do with the low-quality paper that many of my clients use to print their magazines, but it is what it is. I have no control over that and have to make the best of the situation. The 1DsIII's extra 9 megapixels, and the higher dpi that results in print from that higher resolution, is always a welcome plus.

I'm not talking about 200% enlargements, either. At 300 dpi, the 5D's files are 14.5 x 9.7 inches. If the 1DsIII's files are printed at the same 14.5 x 9.7, the extra detail is very noticeable. I suppose that's a long-winded way of saying that as much of a stickler as I am for high-ISO performance and dynamic range, megapixels do matter.

Like lots of people on here, I'm heavily invested in the Canon system, and very reluctant to consider switching over to the dark side. I've been keeping up with all the 5DIII rumors mainly because I think my backup body (5D classic) is in need of an update. Interestingly, it's looking like the D800 might actually end up being a nice upgrade over my 1DsIII, especially since I don't feel inclined to dish out the big bucks for a 1Dx.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
I'm a bit suprised to see such a turn around in the Nikon Attitude, one of the executives said of the D700 a few years back, that it was a mistake to concentrate solely on high ISO, and that they would not be doing that in the future.

Yes, I find the shifts in strategies for both Canon and Nikon a bit surprising. With the 1Dx, Canon jumped in the high ISO bandwagon, megapixels be damned. With the D800, if the specs are real, Nikon will have tripled the resolution over the D700.

If the 5DIII prioritizes high ISO over megapixels, IMHO, there won't be enough of a difference to distinguish it from the 1Dx. Yeah, the 1Dx will be way faster, AF and FPS wise, and boast superior build quality, but ultimately it will be another high-ISO, low-megapixels body like the 1Dx. At least with how the D4 and D800 are aligned, you can choose from a high-ISO body, or a high megapixel body. I'd have to say that the Nikon strategy makes more sense. For all we know, maybe Canon will stun everyone and release a 30-plus-megapixel 5DIII.

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
If it materialize (not the first time the nikon rumor site post these 99% certain spec!) it will be interesting to see if the ISO 6400 of a 36MP D800 is as clean (relatively speaking if we can call this clean) as ISO 6400 of the current 21MP 5D mkII. I find it hard to beleive it will be better then the current 5D with so many more MP...

Am sure Canon will follow suite on the high MP body, maybe not just right away...I wont be jumping to Nikon for thisanyway because my money will be on the 1DX 8)

Upvote 0
JR said:
If it materialize (not the first time the nikon rumor site post these 99% certain spec!) it will be interesting to see if the ISO 6400 of a 36MP D800 is as clean (relatively speaking if we can call this clean) as ISO 6400 of the current 21MP 5D mkII. I find it hard to beleive it will be better then the current 5D with so many more MP...

After witnessing the impressive noise suppression Canon was able to accomplish on a crop sensor body like the 7D, I no longer doubt the ability of manufacturers to produce cameras capable of both high megapixels and low noise. I hope the rumored D800 specs do pan out, since it will force Canon to counter with a product that can compete with it.

Upvote 0
Looks like a camera I'd like to have (landscape). It will be interesting to see how full-frame lenses perform with 36 megapixels.

Also great for competition, when Canon has made some indications that they intended to ignore the high MP genre. With a 36 MP D800 Canon will most likely bring out a competing product.

Sensor-wise I expect it to perform as the D7000 sensor per pixel (same pixel pitch). This means that low ISO will be great, and high ISO nothing special, probably very similar to D3x, that is about the same as 5Dmk2. Good enough for general use, but not the camera you want to have if main shooting is indoor handheld in the range ISO3200 - ISO25600. I think both Canon and Nikon will reserve the best ISO performance to the flagship models, that is D4 and 1DX.

Unless they get creative and decide there should be a low MP count entry level full-frame too, but then it must be crippled somehow to not hurt 1DX, i e simplistic AF and low speed.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
KeithR said:
JR said:
I find it hard to believe it will be better then the current 5D with so many more MP.
Even though it has been pointed out on here time and time again that more pixels does not mean more noise...

And time and time again thats been shown to be incorrect. Given sensors of the same generation, and at high ISO, the larget pixels of a lower mp camera will have less noise.

It might be interested to compare a D800 with the Canon D1 x at ISO 51800. But wait, the D800 can't do native ISO above 6400, (if the spec is correct). Why, because the noise would totally destroy the image.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
KeithR said:
JR said:
I find it hard to believe it will be better then the current 5D with so many more MP.
Even though it has been pointed out on here time and time again that more pixels does not mean more noise...

And time and time again thats been shown to be incorrect. Given sensors of the same generation, and at high ISO, the larget pixels of a lower mp camera will have less noise.

It might be interested to compare a D800 with the Canon D1 x at ISO 51800. But wait, the D800 can't do native ISO above 6400, (if the spec is correct). Why, because the noise would totally destroy the image.

Yes the deal is rather that at say ISO 400-3200 the difference between high res cameras and high ISO cameras is not very big in practical use in real prints. However on higher ISOs the high res cameras start to drop off in performance and can't do the really high ISOs at all. So if you need to work in the ISO 6400 - ISO 25600 range then the advantage is obvious with the ISO kings, up to ISO3200 less so, on base ISO no advantage at all. So it depends on how you want to use your camera.

An auto ISO mode up to ISO12800 would surely be useful at times, for example indoor sports... but as said, if I just have to pick one property, my shooting style needs the resolution.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.