Samyang announces filter holder for the 14mm f/2.8 lens

I have been contemplating this lens for a while, especially after reading Dustin Abbott's review. The only issue was lack of filters other than the uber-expensive Lee 150 adapter system.
It seems that Samyang has developed something themselves. While not ideal for me, since I have already invested in the Lee 4x6 system, it might be a nice thing for a lot of landscape photographers. However, few might want to go for the Cokin filters designed to go with this, but hopefully the Lee 150 filters will work somehow.
http://www.samyang-europe.com/index.php/new-products/samyang-filter-holder-sfh-14

Attachments

• Samyang_SFH-14_04.jpg
    Samyang_SFH-14_04.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 1,688
Finally! I've been waiting since they announced they were working on one a while ago. I wonder what the chances are I can get my hands on one before my Utah/Arizona trip in late February...

EDIT - Fantastic price, as opposed to the hundreds for the Hitech Lucroit filter holder & adapter. At that price, I'll buy two in case I drop one off a cliff or it somehow gets cracked in my bag. ;D

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
JohnnyPockets said:
Awesome. I love my rokinon, but every time I see nd pictures I contemplate selling it and getting the 10-22.
Anyone want to take a guess what this will cost?

P.s. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Samyang says 32 euros on their site.

Thanks, the euro sign threw me. So for the filter holder and a single filter it looks like it will be about 140 usd. I guess I can stomach that

Upvote 0
slclick said:
I thought it was 63 Euros.

It is 63 Euros for the filter I think.
You are right about the size- the Lee filters for the Nikon 14-24 are 150mm X 150mm (or 170mm), so this is an odd size. I wonder why they did not just go for the 150x150 size so people can use Lee filters.
I can see people investing in a Lee filter set if they have a 14-24, but I don't know if people will invest in a crummy Cokin set with just 3 options for the 14 2.8.

Upvote 0

HankMD

SLR newbie since July, 2012
CR Pro
Oct 14, 2013
Taiwan
sagittariansrock said:
I have been contemplating this lens for a while, especially after reading Justin Abbott's review. The only issue was lack of filters other than the uber-expensive Lee 150 adapter system.
It seems that Samyang has developed something themselves. While not ideal for me, since I have already invested in the Lee 4x6 system, it might be a nice thing for a lot of landscape photographers. However, few might want to go for the Cokin filters designed to go with this, but hopefully the Lee 150 filters will work somehow.
http://www.samyang-europe.com/index.php/new-products/samyang-filter-holder-sfh-14

After some googling I could only find one Dustin Abbott who has reviewed this lens ;)

I for one would love to have a filter system to go with this lens, as well, but I also prefer Lee's.

Upvote 0
I'd be intrigued if there were more than 3 filters available. I just wrote and asked if more were planned; a 3 stop will silken moving water but isn't quite enough to get lots of cloud movement. Also couldn't tell if there are 2 available slots so you could use an ND and a split ND. The 14 is amazing and would be even more so with creative filters.

Upvote 0
ernieba1 said:
I assume this is fairly worthless for polarizing filters. With that wide-angle, the effect can't be even across the frame, right?

So, it's basically just for ND's?
You can use polarizers, and I'm guessing this thing rotates, but you'll lose autofocus because you'll have to use the much cheaper linear polarizers (oh wait, it's manual focus ;))

Yes, it will give an uneven look to skies, but sometimes that's not a bad thing if done carefully, and it can still be used for water scenes (think water fall in woods with little to no sky, etc.)

Upvote 0
mackguyver said:
ernieba1 said:
I assume this is fairly worthless for polarizing filters. With that wide-angle, the effect can't be even across the frame, right?

So, it's basically just for ND's?
You can use polarizers, and I'm guessing this thing rotates, but you'll lose autofocus because you'll have to use the much cheaper linear polarizers (oh wait, it's manual focus ;))

Yes, it will give an uneven look to skies, but sometimes that's not a bad thing if done carefully, and it can still be used for water scenes (think water fall in woods with little to no sky, etc.)

It seems from the description it only works in vertical and horizontal orientation. That's not good for a C-PL.
They could have done a better job of this...

Upvote 0
sagittariansrock said:
It seems from the description it only works in vertical and horizontal orientation. That's not good for a C-PL.
They could have done a better job of this...
Ouch, that's not great for ND grads, either, in some situations. Plain NDs will work well, and at least it's reasonably cheap compared to the options for the Nikon 14-24.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

Cali_PH said:
Finally! I've been waiting since they announced they were working on one a while ago. I wonder what the chances are I can get my hands on one before my Utah/Arizona trip in late February...

EDIT - Fantastic price, as opposed to the hundreds for the Hitech Lucroit filter holder & adapter. At that price, I'll buy two in case I drop one off a cliff or it somehow gets cracked in my bag. ;D

Me too! The other option was ridiculously priced considering how dirt cheap the lens is! I hope they start selling them soon, I'd like the option to put filters on my 14 :)

Upvote 0
I finally heard back from Samyang Europe this morning. If they're truly not going to add a few more filters, I think this is a No for me, esp. since I use a FF camera. If it's going to be limited to a light ND and you have to buy another set down the road anyway,... Oh, and they called me Sir, but I am a Madame.

(copied from email, their reply is italicized)

Can the Samyang holder be adjusted to work with other brands of filters?
Unfortunately, it is not possible.

I am particularly interested in the Hitech Prostop filters that measure 165x165x1.5mm and have a light blocking foam gasket. If not, do you anticipate that the Cokin range will be extended beyond 3 SKUs?
I`m afraid that answer is no

Also, I could not tell from the photo or video, can the holder accommodate 2 filters such as an ND and a Grad ND?
Yes, it is possible.

Does it rotate for placing the grads?
Yes, but it may cause a vignette on full frame sensor.

Is there an adapter for a CPL or is one expected soon?
It is not at this moment.

Upvote 0
F

flowers

pinktech said:
I finally heard back from Samyang Europe this morning. If they're truly not going to add a few more filters, I think this is a No for me, esp. since I use a FF camera. If it's going to be limited to a light ND and you have to buy another set down the road anyway,... Oh, and they called me Sir, but I am a Madame.

(copied from email, their reply is italicized)

Can the Samyang holder be adjusted to work with other brands of filters?
Unfortunately, it is not possible.

I am particularly interested in the Hitech Prostop filters that measure 165x165x1.5mm and have a light blocking foam gasket. If not, do you anticipate that the Cokin range will be extended beyond 3 SKUs?
I`m afraid that answer is no

Also, I could not tell from the photo or video, can the holder accommodate 2 filters such as an ND and a Grad ND?
Yes, it is possible.

Does it rotate for placing the grads?
Yes, but it may cause a vignette on full frame sensor.

Is there an adapter for a CPL or is one expected soon?
It is not at this moment.

Thank you so much for sharing! No CPL? Then it's not for me. I also shoot FF.

Upvote 0