Seriously people, how many of you have actually read the 5DIII manual?

Have you read the 5DIII manual?

• Yes, the majority of it

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Yes, parts of it

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Heck no, why should I do that when I can just be a lazy ass and get all these CR people to answer my

Votes: 7 11.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2011
Recently there have been a flood of posts with people asking incredibly basic questions that are easily answered by reading the manual. I'm not saying people shouldn't ask questions, but could you at least google your question, use the search, or check the manual first? I just feel like it's incredibly lazy to jump on Canon Rumors and expect everyone to be your human-powered google for camera questions.
The worst part is a lot of the time you'll see the person post "never mind, I found it" before there is even a chance for someone to answer, making the thread a total waste of space.

Not trying to be rude or anything, just a suggestion/observation.

TotoEC said:
I have. I went to the dungeons of the National Cathedral and liking what I am getting out of the 5D3. :) The AF is a little bit slow (I have the 24-70 f/2.8L and it was dark).

...and I guess since you've read the manual, you can confidently say that you didn't use Spot AF?

Just saying, since that would make focusing significantly slower. But it's in the manual, so...

Upvote 0
AndreeOnline said:
TotoEC said:
I have. I went to the dungeons of the National Cathedral and liking what I am getting out of the 5D3. :) The AF is a little bit slow (I have the 24-70 f/2.8L and it was dark).

...and I guess since you've read the manual, you can confidently say that you didn't use Spot AF?

Just saying, since that would make focusing significantly slower. But it's in the manual, so...

I was using AF Quick mode. In the catacombs, where the 'path' is not well lighted, you can discern a 2 sec delay where the camera 'evaluates' the point of focus, then suddenly the lens 'snaps' and you see the focus confirmation light.

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
wickidwombat said:
you forgot the option for multiple times and have it on my phone for easy reference :D

Lame. I got the manual memorized. Whenever I need help on how to install the battery, insert the memory card, or attach the neck strap, I just refer to my photographic memory ;D

when i was trying to work out what was wrong with that first mk3 body i read that damn manual soooo many times :'( now the replacement i havent even bothered with micro adjust yet. its that good out of the box with any lens. and being able to program the dof preview button to engage ai servo is just the best idea ever
and the AI servo on this thing is killer

Upvote 0

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
The manual would be a daunting read for a complete beginner. When I got the 5D3 I flicked through it and paused to absorb the chapters on the new 61 point AF system. Otherwise the 5D3 is a pretty intuitive transition for anyone who has shot Canon for any length of time. 7d users will have the quickest transition.

But still, the manual will probably sit on my desk for a few more weeks before it goes off to the bookshelf alongside all the other dusty old Canon manuals & user guides! I know some people who put a PDF version of the manual for new equipment on their iPhone. Clever idea.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
pwp said:
The manual would be a daunting read for a complete beginner. When I got the 5D3 I flicked through it and paused to absorb the chapters on the new 61 point AF system. Otherwise the 5D3 is a pretty intuitive transition for anyone who has shot Canon for any length of time. 7d users will have the quickest transition.

But still, the manual will probably sit on my desk for a few more weeks before it goes off to the bookshelf alongside all the other dusty old Canon manuals & user guides! I know some people who put a PDF version of the manual for new equipment on their iPhone. Clever idea.

Paul Wright

yeah I use goodreader and put all the manuals for all my cameras and flashes and gear in pdf on the phone
that way if i need it its right there with me. i've actually also got the manuals for some of my friends and relatives cameras on there for when they ask me a silly question and i can quickly look it up instead of wading through menus looking for it

Upvote 0
I have started to read parts off it and will probably read the entire manual bit by bit. I still haven't got my hands on mine yet 6 weeks to go!

I'm also going to watch this http://www.creativelive.com/courses/canon-5d-mark-iii-dslr-fast-start which is free if you watch it live (or the rewatch for the first 24 hours). If I find this useful then I might purchase it so that I can go and refer back to the appropriate sections.

Upvote 0

GDub

I R Photographer
Oct 5, 2011
Montréal, Québec
mediarare.com
I prefer the "Pocket Guide"--the CliffsNotes of the Mark III manual.
wink.gif

Upvote 0
Wait, don't you just turn the dial to the green box and point and shoot?

My only problem is that sometimes I forget to take the lens cap off and then my photos aren't exposed properly. The back of my lens cap photos are also pretty "soft" and focus seems off. I think I got a lemon.

I'm switching to Nikon. They don't have any problems ever!

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
when i was trying to work out what was wrong with that first mk3 body i read that damn manual soooo many times :'( now the replacement i havent even bothered with micro adjust yet. its that good out of the box with any lens. and being able to program the dof preview button to engage ai servo is just the best idea ever

Same here. I might get around to micro adjusting the lenses some day, but my 5D3 has been tack sharp without doing so. Using the DOF button for AI servo is sweet, as is programming the set button to adjust ISO. Gotta love how customizable this thing is.

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
wickidwombat said:

Same here. I might get around to micro adjusting the lenses some day, but my 5D3 has been tack sharp without doing so. Using the DOF button for AI servo is sweet, as is programming the set button to adjust ISO. Gotta love how customizable this thing is.

oh yeah i am loving it with the sigma 85, simply awesome combo

BTW got my suction cups and clamps for my rig setup now just got to go hunting for some ally tube

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.