Sharpening w/o increasing noise on high iso?

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Has anyone tried this or has experience with similar blending techniques? Sounds intriguing ...

creating a High Pass duplicate layer of the photo, desaturating it and reducing noise on it, sharpening that layer, and then blending it into the original photo with Photoshop’s “Linear Light” blend mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeqQSkTFiYw

http://petapixel.com/2015/03/22/a-trick-for-sharpening-high-iso-photos-in-photoshop-without-adding-more-noise/

I can't access the videos, but it looks like high pass sharpening, which also works quite well on skin for portraits. That and sharpening in the LAB space are two of the best ways to sharpen challenging photos. Beyond that, you really need to mask and layer if you're attacking specific items. I used to have some tutorials on my old website about that - but alas, it's ancient history. Here's a PDF you might find interesting - it's by Jeff Schewe, one of the masters of PS:
http://www.pixelgenius.com/tips/schewe-sharpening.pdf

Upvote 0
@ mackguyver

it looks like high pass sharpening

Yeah, the sharpening-method is simple high-pass sharpening that has been around forever. But in this video, he also runs a noise-reduction filter on the high-pass sharpening-layer; that I don't believe I've seen before! It could be an interesting way to sharpen noisy high-ISO images... I'm thinking wide-field astro photography...

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
bluemoon said:
Huh?
All those tools are available in Lightroom. Under the sharpening there a sliders that control the radius and something else. Hold the alt key while adjusting the sliders and you should be able to create the same effect. Alt key lets you see the mask you are creating.

Rewatch it, LR doesn't have layers, high pass filters, or blending modes, which is the entire point of the video.

Upvote 0
bluemoon said:
Huh?
All those tools are available in Lightroom. Under the sharpening there a sliders that control the radius and something else. Hold the alt key while adjusting the sliders and you should be able to create the same effect. Alt key lets you see the mask you are creating.
I've tried similar methods as described in the video a few times. I picked the idea up from a froknowsphoto video a while back on getting edgier looking portraits. But ultimately there are just a few too many steps involved for me to remember to do it easily and quickly. The above is my usual approach. That is, playing with the masking in the sharpening tool in Lightroom to only sharpen the sharper parts of the image and leave the rest of the photo alone.

Upvote 0
JustMeOregon said:
@ mackguyver

it looks like high pass sharpening

Yeah, the sharpening-method is simple high-pass sharpening that has been around forever. But in this video, he also runs a noise-reduction filter on the high-pass sharpening-layer; that I don't believe I've seen before! It could be an interesting way to sharpen noisy high-ISO images... I'm thinking wide-field astro photography...
That sounds interesting, I'll have to give it a watch.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
privatebydesign said:
Rewatch it, LR doesn't have layers, high pass filters, or blending modes, which is the entire point of the video.

It's not. The point of the video is to demonstrate how to sharpen edges without adding sharpening noise to the flat areas - the layers and blending modes are just away to achieve that point.

And Lr does - absolutely - allow the user to achive a similar result (sharpened edges without the sharpening being applied to low-detail areas) by use of the Masking slider.

Upvote 0