Ships and Sundry Watercraft

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,338
3,844
Western Canada



Not a landscape but I was unsure where else to put this. The Cetus Leader is a vehicle transport carrier under Panamanian registry. I spotted it off the coast of Vancouver Island near Victoria a week or two ago. A true leviathan of the deep.

I'm still trying to get my head around this new posting system. I don't seem to have the sizing quite right.
 

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,338
3,844
Western Canada



I assume from the shape that this is another vehicle carrier but it was too far away for me to get its name. Off the coast of Vancouver Island again, heading toward the Olympic Peninsula. If you look carefully you'll see what I assume to be a pilot boat to the immediate right of this monster.
 

bluenoser1993

EOS RP
Jul 11, 2012
210
17
69509-080317094425.jpeg


Hope the sizing works, its a panorama so file size isn't very big to meet the long edge restriction.

The Singapore Outer Port Limits anchorage as we sailed past on the ship I was working on at the time. Throw nodal points and careful tripod work out the window, this was a series of quite a few pictures taken while I was travelling at about 12 knots.
 

bluenoser1993

EOS RP
Jul 11, 2012
210
17
69509-080317150613.jpeg


Timsah Lake on the Suez Canal with Ismailia in the background. Taken from a ship in the north bound convoy. For this topic I guess the ships are a little distant, but any cropping would loose the location. There is another ship ahead of the red one around the bend on the far right that you can see just above the sand.
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,938
Canada
bluenoser1993 said:
Timsah Lake on the Suez Canal with Ismailia in the background. Taken from a ship in the north bound convoy. For this topic I guess the ships are a little distant, but any cropping would loose the location. There is another ship ahead of the red one around the bend on the far right that you can see just above the sand.

With a forum name of bluenoser1993, I thought you would appreciate this shot from my kayak last year.....
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    513.2 KB · Views: 147

bluenoser1993

EOS RP
Jul 11, 2012
210
17
Don Haines said:
bluenoser1993 said:
Timsah Lake on the Suez Canal with Ismailia in the background. Taken from a ship in the north bound convoy. For this topic I guess the ships are a little distant, but any cropping would loose the location. There is another ship ahead of the red one around the bend on the far right that you can see just above the sand.

With a forum name of bluenoser1993, I thought you would appreciate this shot from my kayak last year.....

Lots of controversy, but she does look great.
 

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,338
3,844
Western Canada
bluenoser1993 said:
69509-080317094425.jpeg


Hope the sizing works, its a panorama so file size isn't very big to meet the long edge restriction.

The Singapore Outer Port Limits anchorage as we sailed past on the ship I was working on at the time. Throw nodal points and careful tripod work out the window, this was a series of quite a few pictures taken while I was travelling at about 12 knots.


NIce panoramas. :)
 

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,338
3,844
Western Canada
China Shipping Line: Off Clover Point, Victoria BC

What a monster! This container ship came closer to shore than any I've seen yet.
 

Attachments

  • _36A4405-Edit.jpg
    _36A4405-Edit.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 137
  • _36A4414-Edit-Edit.jpg
    _36A4414-Edit-Edit.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 148

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,338
3,844
Western Canada
Container ship with attendant pilot boat. Reminds me of a shark with its accompanying remora.
 

Attachments

  • _DSF3513-Edit.jpg
    _DSF3513-Edit.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 157

Click

I post too Much on Here!!
Jul 29, 2012
14,585
3,390
Canada
dpc said:
China Shipping Line: Off Clover Point, Victoria BC

What a monster! This container ship came closer to shore than any I've seen yet.

Very impressive cargo load.

It's estimated that 10,000 of these large containers are lost at sea each year.

Nice picture, dpc. :)
 

bluenoser1993

EOS RP
Jul 11, 2012
210
17
dpc said:
bluenoser1993 said:
Hope the sizing works, its a panorama so file size isn't very big to meet the long edge restriction.

The Singapore Outer Port Limits anchorage as we sailed past on the ship I was working on at the time. Throw nodal points and careful tripod work out the window, this was a series of quite a few pictures taken while I was travelling at about 12 knots.


NIce panoramas. :)

Thanks
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,938
Canada
Not quite the same scale as the container vessels above, but this vessel has a much more "homey" look to it... Panuke Lake, N.S., Canada
 

Attachments

  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    896.3 KB · Views: 156

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,938
Canada
bluenoser1993 said:
Hope the sizing works, its a panorama so file size isn't very big to meet the long edge restriction.

The Singapore Outer Port Limits anchorage as we sailed past on the ship I was working on at the time. Throw nodal points and careful tripod work out the window, this was a series of quite a few pictures taken while I was travelling at about 12 knots.
I like the shot, great job stitching!

Quite the busy water!
 

Valvebounce

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
4,552
442
54
Isle of Wight
Hi Click.
It appears that you have found the urban legend number, (of course it could be that I have found the urban legend rebuttal!) :eek: ::) :)
Excerpt from this page http://www.southernfriedscience.com/busting-ocean-myths-how-many-containers-are-really-lost-at-sea/
Fortunately, it’s pretty hard to hide a missing container and the number of containers lost at sea is actually much lower than 10,000. In 2011 and 2014, the World Shipping Council surveyed it’s members to find out exactly how many containers are lost at sea each year. What they found was that not only was the number of lost containers an order of magnitude less than the 10,000 figure, but that the average was driven up by two catastrophic accidents–the sinking of the MOL Comfort and the grounding of the MV Rena.
Between 2008 and 2013, and excluding these two maritime disasters, an average of 546 containers were lost at sea. When Comfort and Rena are added to the equation, that number climbs to 1,679 containers per year. The MOL Comfort, which broke in half on June 17, 2013 and subsequently sunk during a prolonged attempt to recover her stern, was the worst container ship disaster in history: 4,293 containers were lost in a single incident. The MV Rena grounded on a reef of the New Zealand coast in late 2011, spilling 900 containers over the side.


Thanks for encouraging me to go looking, I found it quite an interesting journey getting to this information.

Cheers, Graham.

Click said:
dpc said:
China Shipping Line: Off Clover Point, Victoria BC

What a monster! This container ship came closer to shore than any I've seen yet.

Very impressive cargo load.

It's estimated that 10,000 of these large containers are lost at sea each year.

Nice picture, dpc. :)
 

dpc

EOS-1D X Mark III
Dec 11, 2013
6,338
3,844
Western Canada
Don Haines said:
Not quite the same scale as the container vessels above, but this vessel has a much more "homey" look to it... Panuke Lake, N.S., Canada


Much more homey, indeed. Nice looking wee cabin.
 

Valvebounce

EOS R5
CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
4,552
442
54
Isle of Wight
Hi Don.
Nice looking place, and looks like a nice location.
We have houseboats here, but they are usually converted boats, for example one is a WWII Motor Torpedo Boat, they are usually permanently moored (and dilapidated) and I have been led to believe that if they leave they can not return.
Is this a permanent location or do they get to tow it to new locations as desired, or do they have to tow it to new locations regularly?

Cheers, Graham.

Don Haines said:
Not quite the same scale as the container vessels above, but this vessel has a much more "homey" look to it... Panuke Lake, N.S., Canada
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,265
1,938
Canada
Valvebounce said:
Hi Don.
Nice looking place, and looks like a nice location.
We have houseboats here, but they are usually converted boats, for example one is a WWII Motor Torpedo Boat, they are usually permanently moored (and dilapidated) and I have been led to believe that if they leave they can not return.
Is this a permanent location or do they get to tow it to new locations as desired, or do they have to tow it to new locations regularly?

Cheers, Graham.

Don Haines said:
Not quite the same scale as the container vessels above, but this vessel has a much more "homey" look to it... Panuke Lake, N.S., Canada
Because of the ice, you can't leave things like that in the water year round, so they have to hauled out in the winter.