Show us your Hooters (Owls)

I hope the subject line wasn't too subtle ;). I don't see a thread devoted to owls, so I'll get one started. I think they are really cool and I've been very fortunate to find a few of these guys but have never actually gone looking for them, and yes, most of mine are barred owls:

Barred Owl - hooting his head off for his mate from his fishing perch:
i-jJ7C4n3-L.jpg

Great Horned Owl - spotted the silhouette just before sunrise:
St_Marks_NWR_6-29-2014_7647_ID-L.jpg

Barred Owl - in my backyard - he comes by almost every evening but this is the first time he was close enough to actually see:
Backyard_Barred_Owl_3-31-2014_4595_ID-L.jpg

My first wild (barred) owl in my front yard - not a great shot, but I was really excited to finally get a shot of one in the wild!:
i-WCvPSXW-XL.jpg

Eastern Screech Owl (Captive) at the local zoo:
i-Hz57xGF-L.jpg

scottburgess

Canonical Canon
Jun 20, 2013
mackguyver said:
I hope the subject line wasn't too subtle ;).

Perhaps we can all take greater care not to offend half of the population. I, for one, would welcome more female members on this forum and would love to hear their input. And I would not want others turning away because they belonged to a minority group and saw how other groups were being treated here. I respect your photography and your useful input on this forum, mackguyver, but I question the necessity of a subject line that reduces women to nothing more than a part of their anatomy.

No one likes being singled out in a negative way, whether it is because of race, religion, gender identity, ethnicity, or something else not relevant to the item at hand. Yes, I get you intended to be funny... the question is, do you get how a woman feels hearing/reading such things? If you have doubts try talking to some about this thread, especially those who work in what are considered traditionally "male" roles. I talked to some and those I spoke with expressed a lot of anguish.

Upvote 0
scottburgess said:
mackguyver said:
I hope the subject line wasn't too subtle ;).

Perhaps we can all take greater care not to offend half of the population. I, for one, would welcome more female members on this forum and would love to hear their input. And I would not want others turning away because they belonged to a minority group and saw how other groups were being treated here. I respect your photography and your useful input on this forum, mackguyver, but I question the necessity of a subject line that reduces women to nothing more than a part of their anatomy.

No one likes being singled out in a negative way, whether it is because of race, religion, gender identity, ethnicity, or something else not relevant to the item at hand. Yes, I get you intended to be funny... the question is, do you get how a woman feels hearing/reading such things? If you have doubts try talking to some about this thread, especially those who work in what are considered traditionally "male" roles. I talked to some and those I spoke with expressed a lot of anguish.

No disrespect to you Scott, you're entitled to your opinion...I respect you speaking your mind, but this world we live in nowadays is too hypersensitive, and a person can't even make a joke or speak their mind without worry...it's too bad.

Men are supposed to be attracted to female anatomy, there is nothing wrong with being open about that fact....again, fact.

Women...you are more than welcome here in CR, and I for one, think you are the better half! :)

Upvote 0
very nice shots guys.....

here are few of my favorite shots taken this passed winter.

Attachments

• resized 1080 Feb 8 2014 dated signed_MGL0111.jpg
    resized 1080 Feb 8 2014 dated signed_MGL0111.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1,216
  • r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0151.jpg
    r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0151.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,180
  • r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0083.jpg
    r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0083.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0097.jpg
    r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0097.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 1,179
  • r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0064.jpg
    r1080 Mar 2 2014 dated signed_MGL0064.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,131
Upvote 0
Love shooting Owls - here's a few of my favourites. Most of these have been shot with Canon 5d II, Canon 1D IV or Canon 5D III and either Canon 100-400L or Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (and 2x teleconverter).

Great Horned Owlet
Not a little baby anymore (Explored) by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Long Eared Owl
Long eared portrait by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Saw-whet Owl
my best side by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Snowy Owl
Oh my, those eyes by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Great Grey Owl
Just another little action shot. by stochasticmotions, on Flickr

Barred Owl
looking back by stochasticmotions, on Flickr