Show your Bird Portraits

Dockland

EOS RP
Nov 14, 2019
Sweden
Thd EF 2xTCIII isn't as good as the EF 1.4xTCIII. You should find the 14.4xTC much better with little image degradation in comparison. By the way, the last bird is a Greylag Goose.

Thank you Alan. It was a great evening light-wise. But a bit crowded.
This Sunday afternoon I’ll pack my gear and travel to the artipelag here outside of Stockholm to see if I can spot a bird of prey or two

Reactions: jprusa

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Thank you Alan. It was a great evening light-wise. But a bit crowded.
This Sunday afternoon I’ll pack my gear and travel to the artipelag here outside of Stockholm to see if I can spot a bird of prey or two
I have great memories of the Archipelago from my first visit to Stockholm nearly 50 years ago when two of us very young scientists played hookey from a conference and took a boat trip. At my last conference in Sweden, at the Sånga-Säby Hotel & Conference centre, I took my 5DSR and 100-400mm II and got this shot of a Nuthatch in the grounds. I like Sweden.

nuthatch_3Q7A1325-DxO_best-sm .jpeg

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I have great memories of the Archipelago from my first visit to Stockholm nearly 50 years ago when two of us very young scientists played hookey from a conference and took a boat trip. At my last conference in Sweden, at the Sånga-Säby Hotel & Conference centre, I took my 5DSR and 100-400mm II and got this shot of a Nuthatch in the grounds. I like Sweden.

View attachment 197927

Nice photo, AlanF. Since you mentioned liking Sweden, I could mention that we usually spend the summer in the north of Sweden, near Skellefteå. We're hoping to get there this summer, but with Covid we're not sure about it yet. If you're ever in the area when we're there, you'd be welcome to visit.

Reactions: Dockland and AlanF

ERHP

EOS RP
CR Pro
May 9, 2013
San Diego
erhp.smugmug.com
I love that bird. Don't know why: there are many much more colorful and exotic-looking birds even in South-East Europe where I did my first (and so far last - 2019:)) photos. May be that humility... Edited: I have to try better (more up to date software) for this series!

I'm very partial to our understated Western Wood-Peewee. Years ago I watched one build a nest and every year since they have returned to the spot. I really need to dedicate a morning to head out there this year to see if the trend has continued and maybe take some new some shots. Unfortunately you need a cloudy morning to avoid branch shadows.
KC01004_sRGB-X3.jpg

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm very partial to our understated Western Wood-Peewee. Years ago I watched one build a nest and every year since they have returned to the spot. I really need to dedicate a morning to head out there this year to see if the trend has continued and maybe take some new some shots. Unfortunately you need a cloudy morning to avoid branch shadows.
KC01004_sRGB-X3.jpg
The nest is super! What a talented bird. :)

Jack

Reactions: ERHP

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Peregrine Falcon chicks with mum on a cliff face, at least 60m away so 2xTC on 100-500mm. The shot was from a public regularly used path and the birds are used to humans. They are very well camouflaged against the rock and it needed another birder to point them out patiently to me.

309A8310-DxO_peregrine_falcon_chicks+adult_vvvgSH.jpg
309A8316-DxO_peregrine_falcon_chicks+adult_vvvgSH.jpg

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Last night we were serenaded as usual by a Blackbird, which I located at the top of the tallest tree by our bedroom but not directly visible. I got a shot of him from the garden as the sun was setting, the other side of the bird. He was facing the sun and you can see the red lighting him up. He started serenading us again at 4.30 am, and I got a shot of him 12 hours after the first where he had flipped through 180 deg and was facing the morning sun, with the sun behind me.. His orientation was not random. (R5 at 1000mm).

309A8512-DxO_blackbird_serenading_at_sunset_1000mm_LS-1.jpg
309A8712-DxO_blackbird_serenading_in_1000mm.jpg