Show your Bird Portraits

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Click, you disappoint me... a little only - see the little dab of red. Guess we'll have to call in ISv for a positive ID. :)>)

Jack
OK, you have it - an Extraterrestrial Woodpecker (IDed by that "little dab of red") and the very informative rest of the photo!!!)!
I was going to say something like Alan did but he was faster (damn it - time difference!)!
On other hand - looks interesting: it's a worth of opening new topic - Like "Birds in disguise". You just post a photo of bird underexposed let's say 5-6 stops (depends on the available light) and ask "What was that":)! Could you share what was your speed at that time - I'm really curious -it may offer new horizons for an abstract/artistic shooting:ROFLMAO:!
And yes - I understand the joke and like it - a lot!

• Haha
Reactions: Click

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
OK, you have it - an Extraterrestrial Woodpecker (IDed by that "little dab of red") and the very informative rest of the photo!!!)!
I was going to say something like Alan did but he was faster (damn it - time difference!)!
On other hand - looks interesting: it's a worth of opening new topic - Like "Birds in disguise". You just post a photo of bird underexposed let's say 5-6 stops (depends on the available light) and ask "What was that":)! Could you share what was your speed at that time - I'm really curious -it may offer new horizons for an abstract/artistic shooting:ROFLMAO:!
And yes - I understand the joke and like it - a lot!
1/20 @800mm Because it's kind of like a multiple exposure I had to up the contrast etc. to make it a little more presentable. ;)

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Thanks Jack - from tomorrow I may start shooting 1/20! One day I may get similar results (depends on the bird's collaboration!):p!
You might say there is a "little" luck involved. And good lighting is very helpful. It seems to me the Downy did a backward fly and then forward and I don't know how other birds might present - better or worse. I'll be watching for your results. :)

Jack

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I actually prefer the still: nice photo of the Three-spined stickleback (well, despite as a background the Little Grebe is also very nice;)!)!

Just for you then, three-spined sticklebacks galore:
3Q7A1849-DxO_heron+fish.jpg
3Q7A1802-DxO_Heron+2fish+drops-hl.jpg
3Q7A1912-DxO_heron+fish_in_mouth_local1.jpg
3Q7A1930-DxO_heron_full_reduced.jpg

AlanF

Stay at home
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice series, Alan. The 3rd one is a picture of FIF? :LOL:

Fish In Flight.
Yes, we need new threads! This is the opening post, and it's not being obeyed on a large number of accasions!
Post your Bird Portraits here :)

Parrots, Birds of Prey, Herons and all the others ... Just post your portraits here :)

The main idea of this topic is that the bird is clearly the main part component of the picture and that it is not a bird in flight or small bird on large tree or group shot ...

I will start with some of mine to start the whole :)
Have fun everyone and I hope to see many amazing shots soon:

American Bald Eagle von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

A colorful friend :) von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

American Bald Eagle 2 von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

Portrait of a Grey Heron in Regent's Park London von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

Vulture Portait von 1982Chris911 auf Flickr

• Haha
Reactions: Vern and Click

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
I really love kingfishers.
FWIW and to give you a laugh :LOL:
I (less) proudly present my first picture ever of an Eurasian kingfisher (alcedo atthis)
I promise I'll to try to do better in the future. ;)

kingfisher_01_k.JPG

this is the 1:1 crop from this picture below. Happy searching ;)

kingfisher_01.JPG

Last edited:

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Yes, we need new threads! This is the opening post, and it's not being obeyed on a large number of accasions!
I hope the main idea is not excluding some jokes time to time?

• Haha
Reactions: AlanF

ISv

CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
A picture from this morning, a Common Tern (Nonbreeding adult)
View attachment 200049
It's very nice photo Click!
Didn't you posted it initially like a Caspian Tern? I could be in huge mistake but it's what I somehow remember...
That massive bill, speckled forehead (only the juveniles of the common tern have something similar - without the massive bill!), adults of the Common are with ~white forehead + dark, relatively thin bill in the winter. In the summer they have black forehead and a red, off course also somewhat thinner bill with a dark tip.
The Caspian has that massive, always red bill, white streaked forehead in the winter (black in the summer).
And most importantly (except the size of the bird that we can't judge by the photo): the Common has a red legs and the Caspian has a black legs.

Reactions: Click